30 Glade Guard - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30 Glade Guard

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

30 Glade Guard

Hey guys,

My local GW has a 500 point warband tournament coming up at the end of May.

I am writing a list now so I can play test it, and I just thought of something...30 glade guard in a 500 point list! {goofy}

So just let me guys know what you think.

-Dark Phantomz

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x6)

Depends on who your opponents are going to be. I thought of that too, running it for small games, but some armies will absorb that fire and won't turn tail and run while others will take a beating from it.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

well you would only hav 140pts left to spend on something that can CC well. aka one unit of wardancers. that could do well, but it might be nice if you can squeeze at lease two CC units out. dryads or wardancers. (also what table size will y'all use? 4x4 or 4x6? etc, if it is a larger table you will have no problem getting 3 units of GG to have line of sight but if it is smaller then well with terrain it maybe hard, unless you have a hill or two.)
    Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Take it for what it's worth, but GW suggests that a Wood Elves warband not consist of more than 50% archers as a matter of fair play. Think about Dwarfs taking all handgunners or something.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

30 glade guard in such a small battle will be potent against some armies but, as has been noted already, there are forces out there that will absorb even st4 arrow fire without breaking a sweat. I would have to recommend diversifying your force a bit.

Trodi here had some success with his 250pt warband (click here (250pts Warband Campaign Start)) by creating a force that uses the maneuverability of a small wood elf force to great advantage. Seems like in small games the strength of wood elves may lie less in saturated missile fire as it does in our ability to outmaneuver our opponents.

Besides, with almost 2/3 of your force tied up in glade guard you will be almost completely close combat ineffective. As fond as I am of large masses of glade guard, I think you might be better served with a strong contingent of dryads and wardancers, with a unit of glade guard to provide supporting fire.

If you'd like to post a potential list for your warband, you'll get tons of feedback. Regardless, best of luck with your tournament.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Dryads seem like a must in such a small game. They pack a lot of killing power for their costs.

I also find Glade Riders really helpful in small games. You can run a unit as small as two, I think. (There's a link in the Fantasy Index).

You can run small units of GG, I think as few as 3. I'd break my archers up. They almost become skirmishers and are much more mobile than blocks of 10.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

I'd mix it up a bit.

Dryads and wardancers would be a good idea.

Shooting alone wont win games.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wardancers and dryads are some of the best and hardest hitting units in the Wood elf list.
    I'd say take no more than 20 GG and then a dryads and wardancers. This gives you a balanced list (about the 50% limit David mentioned) with good shooting and CC potential.

Though you might want to try some cav aswell since there will be planty of room to run around.

Hope it helps
    "Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and terrifying to know"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i played in a 500pt amry tourney and i came second in the event (and some how got best sportsmanship) but i used an all forest spirit amry (2 x 8-12 dryads a unit of treekin and a lvl 1 brachwraith with annoyance of netlings and a cluster of radiants) i found this list to be very resilient but also able to be manuverable and powerful.

+ Reply to Thread