how do you beat skaven? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how do you beat skaven?

How do you beat skaven, if he lets you charge his cheap rats and slaves, and then pumps you full of warpstone from shooting? i play wood elves, and i got romped today by someone who did that. the funny thing was that he misfired with a warplightning cannon and it dissapeard first turn

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play dwarves but i think i might be able to help you.

i would advise you to first shoot his ranged troops down then focus fire on a unit of slaves (horrible leadership) if they panic so might the rest of the army which makes it easier to hack them to pieces with your cc troops. (this might be a problem because elves dont nearly have the fighting power that dwarves do)

hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you noob as slaves are almost always in range of your generals leadership they arent really easy panicked on 9 or 10 leadership ( general 6 or 7 +3 rank bonus). And it isnt really easy to shoot the ranged weapons and the slaves simultaneously before they reach your line, and shooting slaves is the most stupid idea ive ever heard, its much better to shoot the expensive units.

edit: and by the way slaves cant panick other units as they are expendable
    Last edited by Skavenblight; May 19th, 2007 at 21:15.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hide in the trees and pump them full of arrow fire untill you can no longer.

could be an idea to take moonstone of the hidden path thingy and appear near or next to their expensive war machines and shoot. Then he will either have to turn around and let you shoot him or continue marching whilst his war machine are destroyed one by one.

Don't know if that would actually work...
    "If a jobs worth doing, its worth dieing for"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    211 (x5)

Best way i thought of beating skaven is destroying there rank leadership bonus if you kill as many rats as you can in shooting and magic they wont hold for long in combat and tend to case mass panic in there whole army, slaves can be easy to break even with a simple fireball or tree-singing in your case will send them running.

Since you play wood elves pump them full of arrows and use the forests to your advantage like GreyScale mention dryads and treemen would be a nice help with fear and terror, take out there ratling and warpflame throwers they cause havoc for everyone.
    Alot of flanking attacks and use dryads and treemen for tarpits would work to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

id like to clarify my tactics in relation to what skavenblight said,

in a 2000 pts battle there is sure to be one unit of slaves or or giant rats (no rank bonus) out of the 12" range making it (for slaves) a roll on a max of 5 leadership 2+3

packmasters have 5 ld but the packs have no ranks (i think :hmm: ) this roll has a great chance of failing and might send panic through the entire ranks of enemies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With wood elves you really need to play to your strengths. You need to outmanouvre him asap. Use quick units like glade riders to get into his flank and take out his rank bonuses. Stopping skaven magic is important especially with your frail T3. things like Dryads are good as they won't run and are harder to take down becuase they are skirmishers and becuase of their ward save. Use warhawk riders to charge the Warp lightning cannons/Jezziels in turn 2, and then use your superior speed to outmanovure him.

P.S. Skavenbight, there is no needfor the noob comment, ulrik orcslayer is only trying to help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

The wood elf strenght is maneauverability.

You should focus your shooting to nullify his shooting. Your magic selection should be the same. You might get a treesinging or such off every now and then too which is fun.

Don't let him dictate where and when you have combat.

Leave the slaves be, get around his lines and strike his flanks. The slaves are only going to be worth 40pts or so a unit and are basically meat shields and used to disrupt the enemy battle line.

I would fold your center and send your forces up the flanks and come in from the sides/rear.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

srry i said noob but if you know the guy ( he's in my class ) you will see, he always has smart tactics like: hey lets throw my bretonian lord on pegagus in front of a chariot....
    but ok he tries to help

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

This is straightforward, if playing as wood elves you need some fast cav, great eagles and some dryads and a couple of treemen.

use your fast cav to threaten the flanks of the skaven units. (you only need three to negate their rank bonus and hence their leadership advantage.)

use great eagles to march block and war machine hunt.

Dryads cause fear, are str4 and two attacks each. enough said.

Treemen are very hard for skaven to hurt, they also have the extremely nasty strangleroot attack. this can be used from within woods and even if the treeman marches.
    Don't worry about hitting the slave units, if you can break them (shoudn't be hard) you can overrun into the units behind. even if you don't the chances of getting hit by jezzails is fairly low (4+ to hit, then randomise between units.) and the cannon is just outright random.

In short, two treemen and 12 dryads to the front, five wild riders to the side and apply liberaly to your oppnents force. concnentrate on breaking through his line then wheel round the back for rear charges.

Other alternatives are just to gross out on missile troops and kill them before they get to you. loads of archers protected by one treeman and some eternal guard is hard work to get to.
    Arms are an instrument of evil, No measure for thoughtful men until there fail all other choice but sad acceptance of it.
    Sun-Tse : The art of war

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast