How best to play it? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How best to play it?

I am new to Wood Elves and wondered how best to play against Vampire Counts the most. I have the £50 box set so 8 Glade Riders,24 Glade Guard,12 Dryids and a spellwever.
    How is it best to play with them?
    What is best to get next?
    Any help would be very helpful.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

i would advise you get a noble figure and some wardancers (can never go wrong with WD)

if u can, make a bigger list and use models as proxies until you have figured out what does what, what style u want to play etc

as for VC ive never played them, so i wont advise u on them :w00t:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by maraschino View Post
    as for VC ive never played them, so i wont advise u on them
    Golden rule for any undead army - kill the general and the army falls apart. Also, VC units can only march when they're within a certain range of the general (12" I think), so you should have no problems out-flanking them. That's about all I know about VC's, so I can't really advise further.

I would say your best bet for army expansion, like the man said, is a noble. I would also suggest you get more Dryads. For a Core choice, they're an amazing unit. I doubt you'll find anyone (not many people, anyway) who don't like them.

Until today, I would have advised you against Eternal Guard, but they are now my new favourite unit (well, almost - Wardancers are still the best). I played 3 games today with a different army list to my usual one (link (2k winning list) to the new one), won 3 massacres, and it was all down to the EG.

EG is win!

GS
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by the chosen knight View Post
    I am new to Wood Elves and wondered how best to play against Vampire Counts the most. I have the £50 box set so 8 Glade Riders,24 Glade Guard,12 Dryids and a spellwever.
    How is it best to play with them?
    What is best to get next?
    Any help would be very helpful.
    At the moment you could divide your army as such.

Spellsinger (dispel scrolls)
    Branchwraith with level 1 and Cluster of Radients [convert]
    Alter Noble with greatweapon, hail of doom arrow, helm of the hunt and light armour [convert]

12 Glade guard with musician
    11 Glade guard with musician
    11 Dryads
    8 glade riders with musician.

This is a great start.

From here it would depend on your style of play, against Vampire Counts I can suggest the following.

Magic defence will be key against VC armies. You need to stop his magic.

Units to consider,

another spellsinger (dispel scroll and Resplendence of Luminescence )
    More dryads
    Wardancers
    Treemen
    Treekin
    Wildriders

Magic Items

Resplendence of Luminescence - all attack and units count as magic, means you can shoot banshees and spirit hosts.

hope some of that helps
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieSteve005 View Post
    would also suggest you get more Dryads. For a Core choice, they're an amazing unit. I doubt you'll find anyone (not many people, anyway) who don't like them.
    You'll find plenty of people who don't like them - just not WE players.

Against VC's, anything that's immune to psychology will be helpful - so forest spirits and waywatchers are a safe bet. Other than that, like everyone else has said, do your best to hamper his magic phase, but chances of being able to shut it down completely are almost nil.

A buffed out unit of eternal guard could be helpful, but in order for the EG to be truly buff, you need 1 or 2 supporting heros. Against VC, I'm betting those hero slots will be better used by something to bolster your magic defense. Same goes for the resplendence of luminescents on a character in a unit of glade guard - true, it would be helpful to have those shooting attacks against banshees and spirit hosts, but using a hero slot to get it might be a dubious investment.

Overall, I agree with Skars's advice though.

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieSteve005 View Post
    Golden rule for any undead army - kill the general and the army falls apart.
    Easier said than done, unfortunately - from what I understand, most vampire generals will tear apart most WE generals in a challenge. I could be wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Go for the characters. Dont get caught up in a fight with a unit of zombies or skeletons, becuase youll be fighting them the entire game. Vamp Counts have a spell that can just keep making zombies and skeletons, so if you get a big bad unit caught up in a fight, they will just replace the models you kill and you wont get anywhere.

Just remember, they're slow, and only the characters are really tough. Just run circles around them.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Thats were the dryads and combat resolution comes into it.

Dryads can cause massive casualties and if you have denied the undead unit rank bonus you can wipe them out quite quickly.

Just make sure you hit one unit with everything you can, try to kill it in one round, it can be done.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread