Oh Ogres! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Oh Ogres!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Oh Ogres!

Alright, so last night I challenged an Ogre playing buddy of mine to a game. He started saying that I would just take a bunch of archers and blah blah blah. So, I said that I wouldnt take any missile troops. Now this morning, I dont know exactly how Im going to win, lol. Im thinking a ton of wardancers/wildriders/dryads/fast things. Also, Im thinking of dusting off the old Spirit Sword. I think an Alter Highborn, with the Spirit Sword, Annoyance of Netlings, and the Helm of the Hunt. Then Ill just run him right at that stupid tyrant. Granted, a Tyrant is leadership 9, so its a bit of a risk. But if I can take him out in the first turn, that would be huge. What do yall think?

Last edited by BigPappaNurgle; June 6th, 2007 at 21:36.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPappaNurgle View Post
    So, I said that I wouldnt take any missile troops.
    Why on earth would you do that? Seems like as a concession, he should agree not to take any gnoblars or yhetees.

I think dryads would be good to give him something to charge, but beyond that I'd be looking at treekin, treemen, and wardancers - anything ItP that can hit hard. Fast is good. But so is hitting hard.

The alter with a spirit sword sounds risky enough to make me love the idea. I'd team him up with a 2nd noble with HoDA and great weapon. Blast the tyrant with the HoDA, then charge him with both. Once you've taken the tyrant down, your alters will be good for flank and rear charges.

Don't forget some magic defense either. Last thing you need is him bolstering his units with no opposition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Yeah, one good round of combat with the spirit sword will take that tyrant down quick. Im thinking lots of dryads and wardancers to hit hard, and warhawks and wild/glade riders to be quick. Haha, Im not gonna make him make any concessions, I think it will be fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

March blocking is key. Waywatchers are your friends.

Bait him a lot with glade riders and the like and flee from him as much as you can.

The more you can disrupt his line the better you can take down his small weak units of ogres. They look mean but they're still only T4.

Only skip on archers if he agrees not to take ogres.

Ogres are balanced b/c they're weak against missile fire.

When I played an ogre army I concentrated on stopping his spell to get back the wounds on his butchers. I dispelled that one and the strength one and let the toughness spell through so I could dispel it the next turn.

Save yoru dispel scrolls for the peak turn where he gets off a charge or two.

And remember, the tyrant really is a tyrant. Even with the AoN he could still roll a 6 and rip you to shreds.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Things you need.

1. Magic defence.
    2. Tough Monsters.
    3. Wildriders
    4. Alter Characters
    5. Dryads.
    6. Panic checks

Two Alter Characters can wipe out small units of Ogres. At the least kill the ones they are in contact with so the others can't fight back.

Treekin and Treemen will be hard for the ogres, they are mostly still strength 4 so will need to roll well to wound and then you have your forest spirit save.

Wildriders will get those flank charges. Never charge head on, you will regret it. The T3 of the wildriders makes them very vulnerable to attacks back.

Dryads can inflict a lot of casualties on ogre units.

The biggest problem you will have is getting the charge. Normally you could use missile troops to put pressure on the ogres to let you have the charge but you wont have that. That's why the Alters will come in handy. Two characters at str 6, 18" charge and 10 attacks between them will make a mess of small units.

Force as many panic checks as possible.

I wouldn't worry about taking the tyrant head on. Kill everything around him and then mop up.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread