Block units the bane of my existance - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

Block units the bane of my existance

How do u deal with them? (not using EG + not being able to negate their ranks by flanking)

Recently ive played against orcs, skaven & lizardmen, against tough 4 troops with good armour saves and a lot of attacks back (inc characters) which means i have to do insanely good combat rez to even contemplate winning the combats

I cant flank these because they have expendable units or other mass blocks units guarding them.

I can take out a unit champ by challenging (which just leaves other chars) and get a couple overkill on the guy (using an AK HoTH GW AoN) but the rest of my stuff usually bounces off (dryads, wd, even my WR with noble have a tough job)

Its all about the dice rolls and i cant consitantly do enough wounds to beat a unit ever...
    and once ive done with 1 unit i have to do it all over again....

so the question is How do u deal with such units?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Koosh for the KooshLord kooshlord's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

99 (x3)

The same ways anyone else deals with ranked infantry they can't beat in a 1-1 fight:

1. Flank/rear-charge. Get some fast cav or some hawks behind your foe's lines and smack the guys. If they have expendable blockers, kill those first. If they have more blocks, flank/rear-charge those first, or lure the unit out of the battle line so you are able to flank. Charge-bait them, or marchblock part of the army, or charge something into the front of a unit so it'll pursue away from its battleline

2. avoid it. WE are good at this, especially against block infantry. either run rings around it, or lure it into the woods where it gets stuck forever.

3. whittle it down before combat. WE are good at this also. Arrows and magic exist for a reason.

4. delay it: with either a bunch of small, comparatively expendable units (which WE don't really have) or slap something stubborn into the fight against it (which WE have lots of).

5. Get pounded by it. Try to avoid this method.

Hope it helps!
    -Koosh
    Arena of Death Champion: Nexim of the Guldskullz Tribe. Fear my wrath!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Could you post a list to give us an idea of what you have, then we could help more specifically.

But kooshlord has the basics of it.

If you can't kill it, avoid it.

Send wildriders around his rear. These guys are fast and block troops are moving slower. Marchblock, slow them down. Give your archers and fast stuff time to kill and manouvere.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

This is what i field:
    Highborn (AK) HoTH, GW, AoN, L.A+Sh, Amaranthine Brooch
    Noble (WR) Dawnspear
    Sps (lvl1) 2 Dispel Sc.
    Branwraith (lvl1) CoR

10x GG
    10x GG
    10x GG
    8xDryads
    8xWD
    8xWD (champ)
    5x WR (command+warbanner)
    5x WR (champ/mus)
    1x Great Eagle
    6x WW

I do the march block with GE, move my WR up the flanks, (they usually have a guard unit on the flanks which ties them up for at least a round of CC)

I shoot the enemy (in theory) but try whittling down skaven or orcs... they always have numbers so it dont matter how much u kill

Now its like turn 4 and then charges happen, now its win game or lose game due to turns remaining....

i think i just gotta ditch shooting units
    i dont wanna use treesinging or treemen, so ***
    Last edited by maraschino; June 6th, 2007 at 23:27.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x2)

It's all about mobbing them. Get Wild Riders in the flank, Dryads to the front and either a Treeman or Wardancers or both in support. Take out his army unit by unit. Concentrate your firepower/magic, and then flatten what's left in combat. Repeat for the next unit.

GS
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - 2008)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x1)

hmmm ill try just eliminating 1 unit at a time in CC, start from their units on the outside and work inwards (in theory lol)

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kooshlord View Post
    The same ways anyone else deals with ranked infantry they can't beat in a 1-1 fight:
    [...]5. Get pounded by it. Try to avoid this method.
    So that's what I've been doing wrong - here I thought this was the preferred method :sleep:

Looks like these boys have given you some sound advice. The way I look at combat like this is I count on the unit beating me by at least 5 in the end - ranks, outnumber, banner. So if I'm not sure I can even that number out, I know it's too soon for the fight - time to use the WE maneuverability to your advantage and take them for a little ride until the odds are in your favor.

This is where charge-baiters are essential. Glade guard are good at this, because everybody likes to take down squishy archers. And nobody likes to watch the squishy archers run and leave them facing a swarm of dryads backed up by some wardancers.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by maraschino View Post
    This is what i field:
    Highborn (AK) HoTH, GW, AoN, L.A+Sh, Amaranthine Brooch
    Noble (WR) Dawnspear
    Sps (lvl1) 2 Dispel Sc.
    Branwraith (lvl1) CoR

10x GG
    10x GG
    10x GG
    8xDryads
    8xWD
    8xWD (champ)
    5x WR (command+warbanner)
    5x WR (champ/mus)
    1x Great Eagle
    6x WW

I do the march block with GE, move my WR up the flanks, (they usually have a guard unit on the flanks which ties them up for at least a round of CC)

I shoot the enemy (in theory) but try whittling down skaven or orcs... they always have numbers so it dont matter how much u kill

Now its like turn 4 and then charges happen, now its win game or lose game due to turns remaining....

i think i just gotta ditch shooting units
    i dont wanna use treesinging or treemen, so ***

In theory your list should be adequate to deal with ranked up units. Definitely start on the outside units. Use you archers to take out small units that could force a panic check or two or use them to take away rank bonus.

The only time you should charge is when it suits you. Plan your attacks. If the odds aren't in your favour, move!

With that army you should be able to easily outmanouver his blocks. If they have smaller units protecting their flanks, shoot them. Give the Wildrider noble the HoDA instead of the spear, it makes a big difference when you can take out small units with one shot.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

I don't think the wildrider noble has a bow - it says in the description of the kindred that he carries a spear and has light armor and can take no other weapons or armor, save a magic spear and magic armor to replace the mundane items, which makes the dawnspear the only magic weapon available to him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    45 (x2)

Also your opponent probably won't expect but if the unit is small or weak enugh(20 orcs or saurus, 25 gobbos or skaven) hit them with a combo charge in the front withdryads and wild riders, it is unexpected and you should break the unit from fear and numbers then those units will be behind enemy lines. That is 18 or 20 uni strentth and your wounds should win combat
    2009 Tourny records (W-L-D) (20-4-4):
    9/56, 1/12, 2/14, 4/14, 32/82, 1/6, 16/72

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast