Warhawk Hit-And-Run Question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Warhawk Hit-And-Run Question

I'm adding a unit of Warhawks to my army and after re reading the "Hit-and-run" rule, I have a question that may seems silly but I wanted to know the correct interpretation.

Hit-And-Run says that the unit automatically rallies at the end of the "fall back" move. Does this mean that after you roll your 3D6 to see how far they fall back, they are then treated as if rallied right there? So your next turn you can charge/move as normal? It seems like this is the case IMO because it says they rally at the end of the fall back move not they auto rally in your next movement phase as for the normal fleeing rules. Thanks ahead of time!

Armies: Wood Elves, High Elves
    Warbands Campaign 07: 1st
    San Antonio Alamo GT

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x1)

yep they automatically rally after you have determined the distance

well they are not rallying, they are just falling back to a different position

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

Hit-And-Run says that the unit automatically rallies at the end of the "fall back" move. Does this mean that after you roll your 3D6 to see how far they fall back, they are then treated as if rallied right there? So your next turn you can charge/move as normal? It seems like this is the case IMO because it says they rally at the end of the fall back move not they auto rally in your next movement phase as for the normal fleeing rules. Thanks ahead of time!
    Yeah you'd be able to move next turn as normal, because the rally is at the end of that movement phase, thus it would not affect the next movement phase.

I'm right aren't I, someone back me up and tell me I'm right.

Ya beat me by a minute, darn.
    Last edited by Pathofskulls; June 25th, 2007 at 00:04.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by maraschino View Post
    well they are not rallying, they are just falling back to a different position
    Absolutely correct - it's the typical WE response. "We're not running away like cowards. We are strategically repositioning ourselves for a battlefield advantage."

At any rate, trodi has his answer, so I won't worry about it. I will say that this specific tactic is why I love Warhawk Riders like they were my own bird-surfing cousins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Alright thanks guys, just needed to make sure. I know that I'll probably be challenged so it is good to have it all straight in my head first. The first time I read the rule, a couple months ago, I read that it was worked out as in fleeing and thought that if they can't charge and move the next turn, well then that makes this little maneuver almost worthless and not worth the points. Thanks again and I can't wait to play with them now!
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Junior Member truckle the uncivil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Heres a question that will probably sound newbish (which is because im new to fantasy ;D). But do Warhawk riders deny rank bonus's for flanking attacks? If not what units of ours does do this?

Do you find it better to charge with your Warhawks or try to use their bows? And what size units do you find most effective (im thinking 3 but wasnt sure)?

Sorry for the questions, but I love the Idea of these guys and want to know how best to use them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

91 (x6)

But do Warhawk riders deny rank bonus's for flanking attacks? If not what units of ours does do this?
    I believe only ranked units can deny rank bonuses.

Do you find it better to charge with your Warhawks or try to use their bows? And what size units do you find most effective (im thinking 3 but wasnt sure)?
    I'm a n00bie to fantasy as well, but I have to say unless your target is real small shoot from afar. In small games 3 per unit is probably good, if games get bigger, then increase the size little by little.
    Legion Of Everblight: Abyslonia
    Protectorate of Menoth: Grand Exemplar Kreoss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Heres a question that will probably sound newbish (which is because im new to fantasy ;D). But do Warhawk riders deny rank bonus's for flanking attacks? If not what units of ours does do this?
    I'm not sure on if warhawks do (Misanthrope or David etc, clarification please). As for which unist do negate rank: Wild Riders, Glade Riders, Eternal Guard, Treekin, Glade Guard...
    Do you find it better to charge with your Warhawks or try to use their bows?
    Warhawks are S5 on the charge with a 20" charge range (Then you also have your hawks' attacks, don't forget). This is nothing to scoff at. With the hit and run ability they are good harassers (Speaking from not expirence but conjecture and what is in the army book) The bows IMO are there to use when you can't charge and just moving around to make them still useful. (3-4 extra shots wont help you much though).

And what size units do you find most effective (im thinking 3 but wasnt sure)?
    I would say the ideal size is normally about 3-4. WE love minimum sized units :yes:. Any more than this is normally going to be too many points that could be spent elseware to make an additional unit.

Mine own question: If your unit is falling back and there is a unit that it woud run into/fly over, would your unit be safe or would the unit be wiped out as in fleeing? (I guess general question as to can flyers fly over enemy units while fleeing too...)[/quote]If your movement ends in the woods or in an enemy unit, your warhawks are destroyed. You may safely flee over terrain and enemy units - so the only way an enemy unit can destroy you while you're fleeing is if you land right on top of it.
    Last edited by Cyric the Mad; June 26th, 2007 at 05:13. Reason: Fixed quote blocks
    San Antonio Alamo GT

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

I'm not sure on if warhawks do (Misanthrope or David etc, clarification please). As for which unist do negate rank: Wild Riders, Glade Riders, Eternal Guard, Treekin, Glade Guard...
    Flying Cav units behave like skirmishers, so they do not negate rank bonuses.

Warhawks are S5 on the charge with a 20" charge range (Then you also have your hawks' attacks, don't forget). This is nothing to scoff at. With the hit and run ability they are good harassers (Speaking from not expirence but conjecture and what is in the army book)
    First note, the warhawk riders themselves are S4 on the charge (S3 + Spear), giving a unit of three 6 S4 attacks on the charge - still nothing to sneeze at for a small, maneuverable unit. Warhawks are best on the charge, but only on a carefully-selected charge. Even without negating ranks, the warhawks on a flank will have +1CR + kills, which most times will make up for the enemy rank bonus. If you win the combat, you can have the warhawks opt to flee if you don't want to risk them pursuing the enemy. Remember, on any pursuit roll, the warhawks can opt to pursue by land, rolling 2D6 instead of 3 for the distance.
    The bows IMO are there to use when you can't charge and just moving around to make them still useful. (3-4 extra shots wont help you much though).
    The bows are good for the occasional pot-shot while you're getting into position, but they won't score many kills. 3 shots per round with a normal long bow isn't horribly impressive, but it's an option to consider if you have nothing else to do with them that round.
    I would say the ideal size is normally about 3-4. WE love minimum sized units :yes:. Any more than this is normally going to be too many points that could be spent elseware to make an additional unit.
    I would agree - the WE rely on having multiple units on the charge instead of having big units in combat - thus the preference for minimum unit sizes.
    Mine own question: If your unit is falling back and there is a unit that it woud run into/fly over, would your unit be safe or would the unit be wiped out as in fleeing? (I guess general question as to can flyers fly over enemy units while fleeing too...)
    If your movement ends in the woods or in an enemy unit, your warhawks are destroyed. You may safely flee over terrain and enemy units - so the only way an enemy unit can destroy you while you're fleeing is if you land right on top of it.[/quote]Flying cav may safely fly over terrain and enemy units when they fee - the only way they will be destroyed when they flee (aside from the enemy catching them, of course) is if they land directly in the terrain or in a non-fleeing enemy unit.

Junior Member truckle the uncivil's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you win the combat, you can have the warhawks opt to flee if you don't want to risk them pursuing the enemy.
    Ok another dumb question. Why wouldnt you want to pursue? You have the chance of wipeing out the enemy unit totaly, and I dont see a downside....or am I missing the downside?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast