new player looking into WE - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new player looking into WE

After looking through the army book, I really like the idea of WE. they seem to be a highly mobile, very flexible army. However, I have a question about wood elves combat ability. Are you forced to shoot it out? I despise the idea of a "gunline", or stand and shoot style army. My main opponent will be lizardmen. So I guess my question is: Can elves hang with lizardmen in close combat? are there any special tactics that would be needed at 1500 points to deal with them? Thanks for your responses

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1283 (x8)

Oh yes, they can dish out some pain. Wardancers, Wild Riders, and Forest Spirits are designed for combat.

What you can't do is look at a ranked unit across the table and think to yourself, "Oh look, 20 Empire Spearmen. Piece of cake. I'll just charge my Wardancers in the front of those Spearmen and win the combat. Then I will win the game, and everybody will tell me what a swell guy I am and ask to be my friend."

Actually, people will laugh at you and never let you live it down.

Instead, you have to rely on units charging in tandem, hitting fronts and flanks, or flanks and rears, or fronts and rears, or well, you get the picture. You have to pick your battles and exercise some wile. And avoid being charged unless you've got some devious plan in mind. Wardancers and Wild Riders, for example, carry an iron hammer but suffer a glass jaw. 'Tis better to give than to receive, no?

In general, you want to complement that combat prowess with your archery. Soften up the right units, eliminate flyers and enemy skirmishers that foul up your own schemes, or use your archers to bait chargers. Then pile on at the right moment with your combat units, and you've got a golden chance at winning.
    Painting Videos--My Warriors of Chaos--WHFB Tactica Index

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

David basically summed up what Wood Elves are. Tactics are needed, highly needed.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by kellster1 View Post
    After looking through the army book, I really like the idea of WE. they seem to be a highly mobile, very flexible army. However, I have a question about wood elves combat ability. Are you forced to shoot it out? I despise the idea of a "gunline", or stand and shoot style army. My main opponent will be lizardmen. So I guess my question is: Can elves hang with lizardmen in close combat? are there any special tactics that would be needed at 1500 points to deal with them? Thanks for your responses
    You don't need a gunline army, but a couple of shooty units are needed to put pressure on your opponent unless you have a really agressive list.

WE have the joy that their core troops are rock hard, better than some of the elite units in other armies.

Take a dash of gladeguard, a sprinkling of dryad and a touch of wardancer and presto! a WE army for you!
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Cyric the Mad's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    706 (x8)

From my experience, trying to play Wood Elves as a purely shooty army makes it tough to win. Shooting is great to soften up enemies for combat, but of the 4 phases I think you'll find most games are won and lost in the movement phase.

Aside from that, David said everything I would have said, and said it better than I would have.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

Agreed the movement phase is where the WE army wins or loses the battle.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

+ Reply to Thread