Tactics against Chaos? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tactics against Chaos?

I'm playing a 1k point battle against Chaos this weekend and it's my first time facing them.

I know he'll bring 2-3 units of knights...with one chosen.

I'm hoping to get my dryads or wardancers into combat with them...and then flank with my wild riders and alter noble with great weapon.

I'm not sure what else to expect and wonder if anyone has any tips?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ------------------------------
    Wood Elves Record (since i started counting)
    Below 1000pts: 1-0-0
    1000 - 1999pts: 5-2-2
    Above 2000pts: 7-1-0

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

For starters don't bother with wildriders.

The high weapons skill, T4 and 1+ save of the chaos knights will be nigh on impossible for them to get through.

Alter noble is good, don't worry about magic defence, those knight units will be pretty much his entire army.

A couple of gladeguard units would be good. Wardancers will be good too, especially with killing blow, dryads will help as well.

Never take the knights head on, they can have a horrendous amount of attacks.

The Alter can serve another role in this case. Machblocking. Use it to slow him down so that maybe you can kill one or two of them. Then at the last minute attack in the flank.

Can't stress that enough, go the flank.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no wild riders eh? i thought they would be key in getting a great charge attack...

i'm taking a troupe of 7 wardancers, might replace the wild riders with a 2nd unit of them.

also...i'm taking a unit of 6 waywatchers. I know there's a lot of haters of them here, but I love them and think they will be great for killing blow, march blocking, and distracting his plan.

i also have a branchwraith as my general, with Annoyance of Netlings...my hope was that I could get their character/champion into a challenge with her and then flank.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    399 (x8)

You can try the wildriders but you have to hit the flank. If your armed with a warbanner you can win on combat resolution

Waywatchers will pay for themselves in this type of fights. The chaos knights are around 40pts each.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast
    The "A Smart Player Will..." theory is a complete paradox. If we make an assumption that everything we do is outsmarted, then theoretically we can never win.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so, i'm thinking now instead of the branchwraith...

I'll take an Alter Noble w/ GW and Amber Pendant (4 str 6 attacks always hitting first)

Waywatcher Noble w/ Spear, Enchanted Shield and Hail of Doom Arrow (he'll sit with the other waywatchers and use HoD as a charge reaction)

I'll also have a unit of GG, 2 units of Dryads, and a unit of Wardancers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    458 (x8)

Try Glade Riders. Sit there, waiting for a charge. When they charge, flee. If you're clever, you can angle their charge, so they're away from your wardancers, or whatever (for a rear charge, clever, huh?). Other than that, what can be said has been said.

My Glade Riders always do really well, but they actually end up killing very few models.

-AFG

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Holy Water, cross and a bible? Chaos is a pain and the fact that he'll be knight heavy is pretty bad. This calls for hitting him HARD, in unusual ways..

Some mention interesting Highborn to use, on that is on a warhawk, with Bow of Loren and Arcane Bodkins. This could help you alot, hitting them from behind, march blocking, and the negating the nasty +1 save. I suggest Helm of the Hunt as well for more shots, light armor, and enchanted shield for a nice save of +3, which is great for Wood Elves.

Magic heavy might be the way to go as well, obstructing his movement hardcore. Move trees, move trees and more some more trees.

That first bit was a joke but you could do it anyways for a laugh, then recent "the valley of the death" bit. lol :w00t:
    Last edited by Backdraft005; July 20th, 2007 at 04:25.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

399 (x8)

Helm of the Hunt doesn't give more shots and can't be combined with an enchanted shield.

Unfortunately, no Lords at a 1000pts.
    Mirage Arcana Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I'll take an Alter Noble w/ GW and Amber Pendant (4 str 6 attacks always hitting first)

Waywatcher Noble w/ Spear, Enchanted Shield and Hail of Doom Arrow (he'll sit with the other waywatchers and use HoD as a charge reaction)
    Don't go for the waywatcher noble. Also, as far as I can remember they can't take a shield.

The waywatchers will be wiped out if they hold from a charge. They will do their job just as well w/o a noble so the noble should be elsewhere.

He's going for super expensive troops so I would do the opposite.

Take a wardancer noble and give him the AoN. Use that as your sole character.

I think the amber pendent is a waste of points. If you charge the flank and get lucky and cause 2 wounds you're going to lose combat and if he doesn't break your opponent will form up against you. If you're going to go with the alter, give him a HotH and use him to push a combat for you so you win in one round.

King of the Burning Sands Backdraft005's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarsgard View Post
    Helm of the Hunt doesn't give more shots and can't be combined with an enchanted shield.

Unfortunately, no Lords at a 1000pts.
    shot your right, dang magic armor restriction.

why wouldnt the helm give another shot?

Either way the highborn on the eagle seems to be a nasty combo with BoW and bodkins, average 1.5 kills.
    Last edited by Backdraft005; July 20th, 2007 at 18:40.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast