whats a good allround army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

whats a good allround army

Taking the advice of people wiser than me i am gonna write an army list and Im looking for an army that fares well against most armies because i, like most people are on limited funds. this is what i was thinking, of course im going to build this army slowly...

HQ
    Monster, makes everything fearless (very tasty in my opinion, since im using a troop heavy army), fully sick model!

Farseer
    i reakon the one of most important (not powerful, important) hq's in the game.

Elites
    Harlies
    Shadowseer and troupe master. harlies kiss

Scorpions or Banshees some help on this topic, most people seem to think banshees cant do a thing, but put them in a serpent and they can pretty much wipe out a whole marine squad with some luck. and i know that scorpions would probly do better against horde armies.

Troops
    3 blocks of 10 dire avengers with bladestorm and exarch with 2 shruiken catapults 2 wave serpents
    2 squads of 15 guardians for the fluff and all the crap the gw people tell me (theyre ignored by the opposition so they might catch someone by surprise, you cant have an army without guardians etc etc.)
    1 squad of pathfinder for the nasty hive tyrants and carnifexes i often meet

Fast attack
    Warp Spiders
    Theyre efficient enough fit on my list

Vypers

Shining Spears
    are they worth it, i mean 3 models......

Heavy support

Falcon
    razorback but a hell lot better

Prism
    pretty much a worse hammerhead (awesome to me)

Wraithlord
    mmmmm tasty

i left the reapers at home because they were simply too expensive (35 points a model!!!! and they can all be killed in a turn and that will most likely happen due to their reputation. also useless against horde armies.

I was thinking of maybe a squadron of war walkers for the prism but a squadron is $150 (australian dollars)

Thats what i had in mind
    Im not sure about the heavy support so suggestions are welcome, be as harsh as u like. Currently i only have a box of avengers but im about to do a lot of buying.
    thanks guys

Last edited by DieHardSaintKildaSupporter; July 28th, 2007 at 11:20.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Id suggest you find out how many points you want to get - I suggest 1500 -, and try to find a nice army list for that. Ill be happy to add in what I think about your army list.

Right now, I have no clue how many points your army takes up there, and it would be nice if you would tell us.

And yes, the Avatar is fooly sik like subwoofers.

Quote Originally Posted by tookool126 View Post
    Monster, makes everything fearless (very tasty in my opinion, since im using a troop heavy army), fully sick model!
    I havnt played with the avatar so I have no clue how useful it is. However, to me it seems like a very good bad-bad situation for your enemy, since if it gets into close combat its a monster with WS10, and if its focus-fired, you can cast fortune on it with your farseer to make it reroll its 4+ invulnerable, keeping it, and the rest of your units alive.

Farseer
    I reckon the farseer is one of the most powerful HQs in the game thanks to his psychic powers. Guide on a Guardian squad of 20 is 40 shots rerollable to hit. Doom on a squad of anything lets failed to-wound rolls against it get rerolled for your betterment. Mind War picks off their Independant characters, eldritch storm is OK, since it forces pinning and deals a huge template of damage, and spins vehicles around. Fortune lets your invulnerable saves become invincible saves :]

Harlies
    Sure, harlequins are nice. However, they can be torn apart by anything that shoots at it.

Scorpions or Banshees some help on this topic, most people seem to think banshees cant do a thing, but put them in a serpent and they can pretty much wipe out a whole marine squad with some luck. and i know that scorpions would probly do better against horde armies.
    Banshees for prawning Marines and Tau, scorpions for prawning Guard, Tyranids, and orks and such. I have no opinion on wave serpents since im not 100% clear on transport's rules.

3 blocks of 10 dire avengers with bladestorm and exarch with 2 shruiken catapults 2 wave serpents
    Cheap and shooty, yet very little models in a unit. Im not a fan of Avengers.

2 squads of 15 guardians for the fluff and all the crap the gw people tell me (theyre ignored by the opposition so they might catch someone by surprise, you cant have an army without guardians etc etc.)
    Guardians are awesome. Regular Guardians embody 'shoot at it enough and it -will- die'. A 14 man guardian squad commanded by me once shot down Chaos lord Typhus by themselves.

I suggest keep them locked up in a case until you know you're going to be facing an army with a rediculously tanked up monster like those.

Fast attack
    Warp Spiders
    Im not a fan of Warp Spiders. Not very worth it in my opinion, since only 20/22 shots at max. They -are- strength 6 though, so they might have good uses.

Shining Spears
    Power weapons on Jetbikes? Sounds pretty nice.

Falcon
    I havnt tried out falcons so I dont know.

Prism
    Prisms are pretty swell

Wraithlord
    mmmmm tasty
    Gah, too many wraithlords are taken nowadays! They are monstrous creatures that have BS4 and strength 10, though. If you shove a wraithsword and Scatter laser on it, its a troop chopper, but if you shove a brightlance and a missile launcher on it, it becomes a relatively efficient vehicle disabler.
    Last edited by Kahou; July 28th, 2007 at 15:13.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Taking the advice of people wiser than me i am gonna write an army list and Im looking for an army that fares well against most armies because i, like most people are on limited funds. this is what i was thinking, of course im going to build this army slowly...

HQ
    on first principle - fine, however I think you will find it difficult to keep everything within his influenc,e particularly if you have, as you say foot sloggers army, in which case your opponent has a job load of Anti tank weapons with no targets, be less inclined to use him
    Farseer
    Hmhm ok - eldar - everything is expensive, so only put it in if you have a purpose for it, thefarseer generally is good at this, but you do need to sus a purposed before you start
    Elites
    Harlies

nnoooo
    ok bit of history is needed for this I am afraid, try and keep up with my random reminiscing, it ought to be worth it..
    Last codex we had 2 assault units - scorps and banshees. Scorps infiltrate and are resilient but better at killing non MEQ infantry (MEQ=marine equivalent -marines, CSM, crons, all have same T and Sv) , Banshees were more fagile but in a transport could wipe swathes through squads ignoring their armour, making them good MEQ killers. Now clearly you are going to take one or the other, because one will work better for you than the other, in this case opinion was split, some prefered banshees for the fact they ignored armour, some prefered scorps, to be honest the banshee school was probably the bigger one.

Then came to the new codex, Harleys join the fight, rending and fagility wise they fall into the same area as banshees, but without the expense of the serpent, nor do they lack str, so most of those that perfered banshees, now prefer harleys. although scorpions have also gained some followers. Banshees can still be nasty, but require a high degree of skill or luck to deliver accuratley consitently

If I were you and you want foot slogger army, go scorpions
    Troops
    Foot slogers? they have transports? in that case avatar is fine
    dont, they are just wasting your money

Fast attack
    Warp Spiders

Vypers

Shining Spears
    novemeber will see new models of these and bike autarch, but generall I would say no, you need 5 bikes ideally but you also need an autarch
    Heavy support

Falcon
    no, nononono this is the best tank in the game, not a transport
    Prism

Wraithlord
    mmmmm tasty

i left the reapers at home because they were simply too expensive (35 points a model!!!! and they can all be killed in a turn and that will most likely happen due to their reputation. also useless against horde armies.

I was thinking of maybe a squadron of war walkers for the prism but a squadron is $150 (australian dollars)

Thats what i had in mind
    Im not sure about the heavy support so suggestions are welcome, be as harsh as u like. Currently i only have a box of avengers but im about to do a lot of buying.
    thanks guys
    most of your list is fine, I owuld stay away from banshees and guardians out of what you have posted
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Falcon, Best tank in the game? You've got to be kidding me. When you have land raiders, monolithes and the like I dont really think falcons are that good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that ive the codex that army i just said was over 3500 points........
    So can u guys maybe gimme a bit of help here? oh and can harleys go in wave serpents?doesnt say in codex but this is what i was thinking of

HQ Avatar 155

Farseer ghosthelm runes of witnessing doom fortune 140
    To help the harleys

Elites 5 Harlequin Troupe 236
    4 kisses
    Shadowseer, kiss
    troupe master powerweapon
    Do u guys reckon this is better or would you rather 7 harleys and troupe master?

Troops 10 avengers 325
    exarch with 2 sc bladestorm
    wave serpent with shruiken cannon, scatere laser, spirit stone, star engines, vectored engines

10 avengers 325
    exarch with 2 sc bladestorm
    wave serpent with shruiken cannon, scatere laser, spirit stone, star engines, vectored engines

10 avengers
    exarch with 2 sc bladestorm 152

6 avengers
    exarch with 2 sc bladestorm about 250 - 300
    falcon (advice on the upgrades, ive posted a thread)

wraithlord
    2 flamers bright lance, missile launcher

Out of the list i chose in the first place feel free to change stuff, im probs gonna buy all of those models eventually just deciding which ones to buy 1st. thanks guys
    Last edited by DieHardSaintKildaSupporter; July 29th, 2007 at 11:57.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say falcons are a contender for best tank, yes. Think about it...2 S6 weapon options, a good main weapon, speed, and most importantly they are the hardest tank to kill in the game...it will take 9 glancing hits to get a destroyed or immobilized result, and their armor is fairly decent.

Tookool, I feel your army has too many dire avengers and not enough punch. A unit of 5 harlies is a bit small, especially as the only assault unit. Don't drop the shadowseer though, hes an essential squad upgrade

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys really all i need is a list of what i needa buy. then i can worry about the list.
    Do you guys reackon i should get the battleforce?
    I got about 250-300 aussie dollars to burn, and most likely another 100. whadda you guys reckon? if ur not sure about the prices check out oz.games-workshop.com though theyre gonna be a bit cheaper since im going to a dif shop.

I thought maybe a

Farseer $18

harleys box (5 harleys, troupe master) $45, shadowseer ($15) (maybe another blister $18 neccesary?)

another 2 lots of avengers ($90)
    a serpent ($55)

wraithlord ($55)
    falcon ($55)

What do you guys reckon? Anything you have to have that i dont have? (Maybe swap some scorps for something else? Appreciate you guys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

that seems reasonable for shopping,

I think Niarl is rather underestimating the impact and ability of DA in the new codex, but as har as harleys are concerned:
    1. if on foort they need a shadow seer
    2. no you cant put them in a serpent
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

+ Reply to Thread