1750 mech tournie army...Advice please - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

1750 mech tournie army...Advice please

Hi guys,
    At my local games store, there will be a big 40k tournament in November, and I am planning on joining in this time. I want to finish collecting and painting my Tau army, so here is the list that I had planned on creating in preparation for the event.

HQ
    Shas'El
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, HW Multitracker
    =97 points

Shas'El
    =97 points

ELITES
    Crisis Team Leader
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, HW Multitracker, HW target Lock, Bonding Knife
    =87 points
    Crisis Shas'Ui
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multitracker
    =62 points

Crisis Team Leader
    TL Missile Pods, Targetting Array, HW Target Lock, Bonding Knife
    =68 points
    Crisis Shas'Ui
    TL Missile Pods, Targetting Array
    =53 points

Stealth Team (6)
    =180 points

TROOPS
    Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    1x Shas'Ui, Bonding Knife
    Devilfish
    Smart Missile System, Targetting Array, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker
    =255 points

Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    Devilfish
    =255 points

FAST ATTACK
    Drone Squad (
    =96 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Hammerhead Gunship
    Rail Gun, Smart Missile System, Multitracker, Decoy Launchers
    =175 points

Hammerhead Gunship
    =175 points

Skyray
    Targetting Array, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker
    =150 points

TOTAL= 1750 points

All analysis welcome

Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Shad0w_Reaper View Post
    Hi guys,
    At my local games store, there will be a big 40k tournament in November, and I am planning on joining in this time. I want to finish collecting and painting my Tau army, so here is the list that I had planned on creating in preparation for the event.
    First of all I would like to say its a pretty solid list, I am going to suggest changes but either way the list should do ok.
    I am going to try to stick to your model list as closely as possible but will suggest some possible additions at the end of the post, OK here goes.

HQ
    Shas'El
    =97 points

Shas'El
    =97 points
    Pretty generic, nothing really wrong with them as such but I always advise taking at least one Helios multi (MP, FU, TA and HW multi) because it offers so much punching power, good for taking down Termies, Kans, Dreads, any tank and most important of all is a good counter to characters (insta killing TGH4 is a real bonus), 3 AP2/1 high strength shots will stop most things or give them pause for thought.
    I would seriously advise taking one.

ELITES
    Crisis Team Leader
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targetting Array, HW Multitracker, HW target Lock, Bonding Knife
    =87 points

Crisis Shas'Ui
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multitracker
    =62 points

Crisis Team Leader
    TL Missile Pods, Targetting Array, HW Target Lock, Bonding Knife
    =68 points

Crisis Shas'Ui
    TL Missile Pods, Targetting Array
    =53 points
    These should do ok, however I just see no point in bonding knives, if your smart you should never need them, the FK squad has a stand of range of 18" minimum and with 1 plasma shot that goes up to 30", with the JSJ move and use of cover you should not really need the bonding.
    The Deathrain squad has even less need of bonding, keep them at max range and behind cover and you should have no problems, other than that the XV8's seem fine.

Stealth Team (6)
    =180 points
    Nice nuff said

TROOPS
    Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    Devilfish
    =255 points

Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    Devilfish
    =255 points
    Now I know this is going to be unpopular, but lose the Warfish. When you have mounted FW squads and your going to FOF then all you need is the Mult and decoys for a 95 pts ship.
    The drones on the DF are much much much much more useful than the 2 shots from the SMS, the Multi allows the BC and drones to fire even after a 12" move, which gives you 5 STR5 shots, however the drones can also be disembarked to provide a very useful anti assault/target priority test forcing screen to rally add to the DF protection when the unit does the FOF nastiness.
    Also lose the bonding, with the DF and drones offering protection and if you do the FOF correctly you should never need it, keep the Shas'Ui though.

FAST ATTACK
    Drone Squad (
    =96 points
    Good little unit, use them with the Helios Shas'El (do not join the units keep them separate) and go transport hunting, pop the transport and shoot the passengers with these, with luck the transport will be destroyed or at least stunned and the passengers will be entangled or pinned due to the AP1 of the fusion forcing a disembarkation and the pinning of the drones.

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Hammerhead Gunship
    =175 points

Hammerhead Gunship
    =175 points
    Lose the SMS,you have no TL so its a choice of the railgun or SMS (unless using the subs) and really you should never be in a position to use these (same goes for BC's), I love seing these on an opponents HH because I know he will inevitably get close to use them and that means I get more chances to hit his HH and remove that railgun.
    Just take the 165pt HH (RG, BC, Multi and DL)

Skyray
    Targetting Array, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker
    =150 points
    Lovely bit of kit, the points are wrong though. For that set up its 155pts

So lets see how many points we have to play with:

Bonding Knives 20pts

Warfish downgrade 50pts

Hammerhead changes 20pts

However we have to put 5pts on the Skyray so that leaves us with 85pts extra to play with.

So I would advise either a unit of 10 Kroot, nice anti infiltrator unit and decent ant assault, however I would go further and say that if your going to take Kroot then lose the standard FK XV8 and take 10 Kroot and 8 hounds for 188pts, fantastic unit and will offer lots of anti assault.
    This will leave you 30pts so you could take some bonding on the FW if you prefer to have it and on the Deathrain team, I however would give the two Devilfish some seekers and the Skyray a blacksun filter because if this hits in night fight you can use its ML's to cancel night fight for the Hammerheads (very useful)

Or you could take a single Piranha with fusion, TA and decoys for 80pts and keep the FK XV8.

Here is what I would take.

HQ
    Shas'El
    Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW Multitracker
    =97 points

Shas'El
    Plasma Rifle, Fusion blaster, Targeting Array, HW Multitracker
    =97 points

ELITES
    Crisis Team Leader
    =77 points

Crisis Team Leader
    TL Missile Pods, Targeting Array, HW Target Lock
    =63 points
    Crisis Shas'Ui
    TL Missile Pods, Targeting Array
    =53 points

Stealth Team (6)
    =180 points

TROOPS
    Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    1x Shas'Ui = 130 pts
    Devilfish DL, Multi, seeker = 95 pts

Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    1x Shas'Ui = 130 pts
    Devilfish DL, Multi,= 95pts

Kroot squad (10) 70pts
    Hounds ( 48pts

FAST ATTACK
    Drone Squad (
    =96 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Hammerhead Gunship
    Rail Gun, BC, Multitracker, Decoy Launchers
    =165 points

Hammerhead Gunship
    =165 points

Skyray
    Targetting Array, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker, BS filter
    =160 points

Now we have 29pts so if you wanted you could take the bonding on the two FW squads and the Deathrain squad, which leaves 14pts so knock yourself out :yes:

Now I know you have lost the Warfish, but I do not think you will miss them, you have also lost a fireknife but I truly believe that the addition of the Kroot squad will be much more useful than a BS3 FK.
    They can be used to prevent infiltration, to provide effective anti assault and can even assault if needed, they have good shooting and the hounds are excellent in CC.

hope that helps.

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Hi Riki,

I was thinking of swapping a FK Shas'El for a helios, and I really see its usefulness now, so I agree with you here, and will swap one.

About the bonding knives on the Crisis teams, im mostly just worried about instakilling weapons with long range like Lances and lascannons and the like. No armour save plus instant death means my suits will go down hard. And if one goes down, the other will be making leaderships every turn without chance of regrouping. I can see what you mean though, if I keep them behind cover and use them right, there will be no need for them, and it does save me some points in the end.

Hmmm about the warfishs...I really am not sure what to do about it. The SMS allows me the ability to sit behind cover and shoot things until the right opportunity comes where I can race out, Fish of fury the hell outa them, and get away. But on the other hand, those two drones, with the ability to pin, plus the fact they can detach and form a little unit of their own, I guess it does outway the option of the SMS. I will drop the bonding knives on these firewarriors.

About the Hammerheads, I usually play with SMS because my main opponent is Dark eldar, and I usually have target locks with them. That way I can hide from the dark lances, and still have a good chance of destroying their AV10 ships. But I guess in a tournament, all that changes. Ill give your idea a run though Riki, and see how it goes.

Ok so I saved myself 85 points (correcting the points on the Skyray).
    Here is the revised list:

HQ
    Shas'El
    =97 points

Shas'El
    Plasma Rifle, Fusion blaster, Targeting Array, HW Multitracker
    =97 points

ELITES
    Crisis Team Leader
    =77 points

Crisis Team Leader
    TL Missile Pods, Targeting Array, HW Target Lock, Bonding
    =68 points
    Crisis Shas'Ui
    TL Missile Pods, Targeting Array
    =53 points

Stealth Team (6)
    =180 points

TROOPS
    Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    1x Shas'Ui, Bonding = 135 pts
    Devilfish DL, Multi, Targetting Array, seeker = 100 pts

Firewarrior Team (12)
    11x Shas'La
    1x Shas'Ui, Bonding = 135 pts
    Devilfish DL, Multi, Targetting Array, seeker = 100 pts

Kroot squad (10) 70pts
    Hounds ( 48pts

FAST ATTACK
    Drone Squad (
    =96 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Hammerhead Gunship
    =165 points

Hammerhead Gunship
    =165 points

Skyray
    Targetting Array, Burst Cannons, Decoy Launchers, Multitracker, BS filter
    =160 points

=1746 points

Cheers for the help Riki
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Like Riki said, this is a good list. Only thing I would add to his comments would be to remember that ICs are non-scoring units, and you have 2 Transports which are also non-scoring. You might like to consider exchanging the second Shas'el for perhaps some Kroot if you have them, just to give you a few advantages with deployment, table quarter challenging and a little bit of CC prowess to have up your sleeve.

Infiltrating Kroot into an unoccupied table quarter at the start of the game in scenarios like Cleanse, Pitched Battle and so forth can give your opponent something to think about, as he will have to plan to sort out the enemy unit which is at present holding a table quarter or a Mission Objective.

If you keep the 'El, then the load-out Riki suggested would be mine too.

Good look with your battles, and don't forget to remember the Mission's Objective all the time.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps this is a stupid question, but if you're twin-linking the missile pods on the crisis suits, why bother adding a targeting array?

Twin-linked missile pods are already effectively a ballistic skill 4.5, which is better than marines already, being a 75% chance to hit. Adding the targeting array to that only increases your chance to hit by an additional 14%, up to approximately ~89%. It's the difference between missing once per game and 1.5 times per game, assuming it gets to fire every turn and a 6 turn game.

I would think you'd be better off spending the points somewhere else.

+ Reply to Thread