Beginner Player 800 points army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beginner Player 800 points army

I'm a beginner player playing WH 40K for the first time so I'd rather check what units are good and what units plain suck before buying them and wasting all my money. My enemies are basically all heavy infantry types, and I'm facing 2 witchhunters, daemonhunters, and blood ravens as well as chaos space marines and tau, the only non heavy-infantry army. From what I gather, the enemy mostly plan to use transports and tanks (Land Raider Crusader and Predators in particular, I think) in general, so I thought of using a long-range shooty army with enough fire power to bring them down. This is my current army:

HQ (130 points)

No idea at all on this one. Currently:

Autarch
    Eldar Jetbike
    Mandiblasters
    Laser lance

for 130 points, the main trouble being I'm not particularly planning on using any kind of jetbike squad. Shining spears are out of the question and I'm not a fan of Guardian Jetbikes either. Will appreciate opinions for this, definitely.

Troops (240)

Stumped. Currently:

2x

5 Pathfinders

for 240 points. Seems ineffective because of high enemy armour saves.

Elites

5 Fire Dragons, Exarch with Tank Hunters
    5 Howling Banshees Exarch

for a total of 199 points. I was thinking of sticking this with the rest of my people because apparently the enemy plan to deep strike into my people. There's also talk of Land Raider Crusaders or three Rhinos, which I hope Fire Dragons will counter.

Heavy Support (230)

2x

Fire Prisms

for 230 points.

One of the few choices I'm sure of, Fire Prisms just seem beastly to me. I'm even considering adding a third, but I'm not too sure of that.

799 points total. Will definitely appreciate any help since I don't really know what I'm doing. I've read the split deployment tactica and hope to use that with 1 fire prism and 5 pathfinders on each side, and the howling banshees and dragons split up, the side with dragons being the 'victory side'. The autarch is stuck in the middle so that it can aid either side, but I may put him with the dragons. Thoughts?

Last edited by Hiruma; August 5th, 2007 at 14:26.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok first of i dont think yuo are allowed to list the points cost for upgrades for your hq.

its a good choice but you need a squad of shining spears to go with it to make it a uba great unit.

troop thoices are good

eletes. swap banshees for scorpians and drop a prism for a falcon to transport fire dragons
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war."

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

the best part about warhammer: fluff and fun not winning

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, a few things I'd like to clarify first.

Firstly, since I'm playing alot of MEQs, aren't Banshees more effective than Striking Scorps?

Secondly, would it be a viable strategy to simply leave my dragons with my long range people was short range combat and thus not needing a falcon? The fire prism is more effective than falcon in almost all aspect bar transport, but I don't know if I truly need the transports.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fire dragons have a short range so you need a transport to get them up to the enemy lines. yes banshees weild power weapons so no saves but scorpians have a extra attack per man and dont need a transport to gets them near enemy lines which banshees do. and authough fire prisms have a better weapon its only one shot and no transport capabilities. and you wont need the anti tank which the prism will provide because the fire dragons will be more effective in a falcon which could be tooled up to anti tank with a EML
    "Si vis pacem, para bellum. If you want peace, prepare for war."

92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

the best part about warhammer: fluff and fun not winning

+ Reply to Thread