2000pt new varient (including the XV88/Shas'O uber unit) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

2000pt new varient (including the XV88/Shas'O uber unit)

After my post regarding the XV88/Shas’El/O combo super unit (link here http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=98729 (Rikimaru supporting XV88's, no its not a wind up))and my thoughts about a drone troops type compliment in a Tau list, I have been considering making a another 2000pts list which includes both these ideas.
    So here goes, I have 3 XV88 models to hand and I am going to buy another XV8 basic box to make the Shas’O.

The idea of the list is that it is a multiple front attack force, the Shas’O and XV88 unit stay back at range and lay down a withering hail of fire, if you look at the sheer amount of firepower this unit can throw down its damn well frightening. The Shas’O will provide good LDS bonuses but can detach at any time, he also provides accurate long ranged fire support out to 38” (36” weapon range plus 2” coherence). However if no enemy unit is close or firing on the XV88 unit he can detach and extend this range to 42”.
    The unit has two shield drones to provide some protection and the Shas’O’s LDS should mean no falling back even if they are lost, the A’S’S means they can move to gain LOS to a limited degree but more importantly they can move away from units and still lay down covering fire.

I think losing a Hammerhead is worth it for what this unit should be able to do.

The Drone squads are a troop supplement and are meant as:

(a) Support for the Shas’El, one unit will work to provide protection and fire support for the El, they will work together primarily as transport stoppers and passenger killers.

(b) As flanking units and mobile support for the FW squad and Kroot, they will be able to get behind units to provide cross fires and also to pull units away from other Tau units. I will use these to disrupt opponents movement strategies by using them with infiltrators to work behind advancing units and to spread the Tau forces across the table, this will make it hard for the opponent to concentrate his units on any one part of the Tau forces

The drone squad with the Shas’El can leave him to his own devices once any transports are stopped

Also the drones on the Devilfish will also be dropped of to provide another small drone unit, this will be used to force target priority tests etc.

The Pathfinder squad will be used to up the BS of the drones and the FW squad, the Shas’Ui has a target lock to provide some measure of flexibility, the Skyray will be used primarily to aid the Hammerhead and XV88 unit (BS4 and twin linked railguns=ouch).

The Deathrains will provide ad hoc long ranged firepower, they will target any thing that presents itself or will deal with any target that is proving a threat.
    The combination of these DR squads and the Shas’O/XV88 squad will supply a daunting amount of long-range punishment.
    However the DR teams have the benefit of mobility so they can move to gain maximum LOS advantage.
    The stealths and Kroot will provide a strong infiltrating presence, these will be used to flank units and to push back other infiltrators, they will also provide a staged front line defence, the Stealths can move and shoot with impunity and the Kroot provide a fearsome screen of bolter equivalent firepower and if needed can assault any unit with confidence. This is very important, as most opponents will try to move units forward to try to nullify the XV88 unit, as this unit is my only really static (ish) unit.

The Hammerhead and Skyray will provide anti infantry with ML guided sub shots and the Skyray also has those six seekers

So basically I have a massively effective long-range artillery section with the Deathrains and XV88/Shas’O unit, I have a large mobile element, a strong anti infantry component with the FW, HH, Drones and Stealth squads.
    I have an absolutely devastating anti armour element and anti tough unit elements to spare, the sheer amount of high strength long range firepower this army can put out is quite frankly frightening.

Here is the list:

HQ

1 x Shas’El Helios.
    Plasma, Fusion, TA and HW multi 97pts

1 x Shas'O with MP and plasma and HW multi 112pts.

Elites

Team 1: 2 x XV8 Deathrains
    Twin linked Missile Pods, TA
    Team leader has HW Target lock 116pts

Team 2: 2 x XV8 Deathrains
    Twin linked Missile Pods, TA 106pts

Stealth team
    6 Stealths with Burst Cannons 180pts

Troops

Fire Warrior team 1: 12 Warriors 120pts
    Devilfish transport with decoy launchers 85pts

Kroot team: 10 Kroot and 7 Kroot hounds 112pts
    Kroot team: 10 Kroot and 7 Kroot hounds 112pts

Fast attack

2 Drone squads: each 8 drones strong 96pts per team

Pathfinder squad: 7 Pathfinders & one Shas’Ui with target lock 111
    Devilfish with SMS, Targeting array, Multi tracker and Decoys 120pts

Heavy

Skyray: Burst Cannons, Targeting array, Multi tracker, BS filter and Decoys 160pts
    1 x Hammerhead: Burst cannons, Multi tracker and Decoys 165pts

XV88 team leader with A'S'S, HW target lock and HW multi, HW DC and 2 shield drones 125pts
    XV88 with A,S,S 80pts
    Team bonded 5pts

Total 1998pts

10 Missile pod shots a turn (8 twin linked at BS4 and 2 at BS5)
    2 twin linked Railgun shots per turn
    1 Railgun shot a turn (sub or solid shot)
    4 Plasma shots a turn (or 2 at 24”)
    Plus seekers if needed.

Markerlight support (possible 4 units marker lit per turn)

44 Pulse shots a turn (56 if FW rapid fire)
    20 Kroot shots a turn (40 rapid fire)
    Pinning from drones (with ML help making pinning a real possibility)

51 attacks on the charge in assaults per Kroot squad

This list has a lot of damage potential and has the ability to make it hard for an opponent to get a handle on it, as it has so much mobility but also has that XV88/Shas'O unit threatening everything, infiltrate and the ability to hit on multiple fronts. It can fight close up and at range it has some assault and even has the ability to deep strike the drones to provide a distraction.

So what do you think, does this list have potential.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Victorus aut Mortis Shad0w_Reaper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    74 (x2)

Hi riki.
    This is one great looking list IMO, and your Shas'O/Broadside combo sounds interesting. Have you play tested it yet? I think it will work a treat for you. You shouldnt have a problem facing varied armies, you seem to have all everything covered, MEQ, horde, tanks etc. To be honest I cant see anything wrong with it at all. And yes I do think it has potential, massive potential :yes: Good luck with it.
    Peace out
    Space Wolves (Under Construction) | Circle of Orboros (Under Construction)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm intrigued. Looks like a really fun list to play... I may have to try something like it.
    For the Greater Good, we fight.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Trayce View Post
    I'm intrigued. Looks like a really fun list to play... I may have to try something like it.
    Yeah I like the way it plays more hybrid, I find the new Tau codex has made the Tau a much more mechanised biased list and I used to love playing hhybrid. I particularly liked the way it forced opponents to fight on two different fronts, basically having to handle mobile elements but having to devote resources to dealing with a fire base.

I think the XV88/Shas'O unit will be a lovely unit to spring bait and kill traps with, because this unit will be seen as the major threat, however it will be extremely hard to take down forcing the opponent to commit to taking it down.
    The more mobile elements including the drone squads will then be able to intercept and flank any units attempting to close the XV88 unit down, the Kroot will also be the clincher moving in to either shoot or finish of with an assault.

The Kroot and Stealths can also infiltrate to get into good position to spring and close traps on units moving into the no mans land between lines, tempted by the big juicy XV88/stealth unit.

I would appreciate some more feedback from other players but I am happy the list has got a good response.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    258 (x5)

Hey Riki, how are things mate?

I do like this list; quite different from alot of what I see list wise these days. You have obviously given it a fair bit of thought, and I can see the list doing very well in the right hands.

At first glance it appears to have less anti-infantry firepower than the average Tau list, but I think there is hidden potential in this respect. With the kroot infiltrated and shooting through appropriate cover I think those almost-bolters of theirs could do quite significant damage to most infantry - and then there is the charge once they close the distance *evil grin*. They should also be well supported by the Stealths and drones adding further to their potential.

There are a great number of MPs in the list as well, giving you excellent amounts of punch against light to medium armour and, to a certain extent, MEQs. With the range of the XV88s I should imagine your going to be using your helios as more of a HQ killer than a tank hunter but I may be mistaken. The helios, XV88s and railhead should give you formidable anti tank firepower, especially when guided by the markerlights.

The only type of list I see this struggling against is hoarde as many of your units are more kitted out to combat smaller numbers of harder opponents. Ork, hoarde nids and infantry guard might give you some problems, but I still think you'd do well.

I would prefer to take a second hammerhead in place of the Skyray. Its a close call though, as those mobile markerlights can be very useful. I just feel that another subs shot would be of more use against hoarde than two more markerlights.

Tis a great list mate, I'd love to hear how it perform on the table

Cheers,
    Rich.

"Praise" for rp252:
    Da Mighty Camel:
    No, for your information, rp252 is lonely because he is hideous
    Jaffar_Hasad:
    Behind his ugly bloodthirster face, there's some wisdom stored away for moments like this.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Hi Riki. Interesting list, and yes I believe it has potential. If I may make a couple of comments:

1. Could be a typo, but the Shas'O can't take the Hard-wired version of the Multitracker as he only has the MP and the PR for his Hard Points.

2. Regarding the Broadsides T-Ldr: why take the HWMT? or is this just to give extra fire support against the enemy when they close in? I was thinking that your intention was to "hit from afar" with the XV88/Shas'O unit, so I just wondered.

3. Here's a question for you: If the Broadsides have ASS and the Shas'O is joined to them, is he restricted to their movement on the 2d6 roll, since he forms part of the squad and the squad has to move at the rate of the slowest member? Not trying to catch you out on the unit; just suddenly thought about this one.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper View Post
    Hi Riki. Interesting list, and yes I believe it has potential. If I may make a couple of comments:

1. Could be a typo, but the Shas'O can't take the Hard-wired version of the Multitracker as he only has the MP and the PR for his Hard Points.
    Typo

2. Regarding the Broadsides T-Ldr: why take the HWMT? or is this just to give extra fire support against the enemy when they close in? I was thinking that your intention was to "hit from afar" with the XV88/Shas'O unit, so I just wondered.
    Typo again should be the HW target lock not multi to allow the unit to split fire (essential).

3. Here's a question for you: If the Broadsides have ASS and the Shas'O is joined to them, is he restricted to their movement on the 2d6 roll, since he forms part of the squad and the squad has to move at the rate of the slowest member? Not trying to catch you out on the unit; just suddenly thought about this one.

E.
    The Shas'O can leave at any time, but if he is part of the unit then he moves at the rate of the slowest member of the unit.
    This to me is not a problem because I am tactically aware enough to know when the Shas should be split from the unit, this is the beauty of the unit and is explained in the article I have linked to in this post.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Hadn't spotted that in the link. =X Just checking for my own information - should have checked the whole lot first! Sorry.

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

+ Reply to Thread