1k list decisions...scorps or banshees? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k list decisions...scorps or banshees?

Here are a couple of lists I thought up after my first actual 1k cleanse mission (I usually play 1.5k). In the game I played against another eldar player, I had trouble holding my original table quarter because I was too focused on zooming up as soon as possible.
    Ignoring the fact that I pummeled his units after popping out of my transports, I still had trouble breaking some of his defense line and gaining his original quarter. While I was focused on doing this, he simply boosted some of his jetbikes around in the last turn to gain some quarters and tie up the game.

Anyway, the first list is a variant of the list I played previously. I took out my jetbike squad in replacement for some pathfinders because I think they would serve a better purpose both in holding table quarters and using their rifles in conjunction with doom. I would probably just infiltrate the scorps behind them for some counter assault, as someone suggested in an earlier thread I posted. Here is the first list:

HQ-113

Farseer
    -Doom
    -Singing Spear
    -Jetbike
    (113 )

ELITES-276

6 Fire Dragons in falcon
    (96 )

8 Striking Scorpions
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Scorpion’s Claw
    -Shadowstrike
    -Stalker
    (180 )

TROOPS-412

10 Dire Avengers
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Bladestorm
    -Dual Shuriken Catapults
    (152 )
    Wave Serpent
    -Twin Shuriken Cannons
    -Shuriken Cannon Upgrade
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    (140 )

5 Rangers
    -Pathfinders
    (120 )

HEAVY SUPPORT-195

Falcon
    -Holo-field
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    -Scatter Laser
    (195 )

Total: 996 points

I find the second list to be slightly more offensive than the first. It still has nearly the same anti-tank potential, but more of a CC punch with the banshees (especially against MEQ's). I can also easily hold my original table quarter with the wraithlord and guardians, which will slowly advance while the rest of the army gets to enemy units as quickly as possible. Here is the second list:

HQ-113

Farseer
    -Doom
    -Singing Spear
    -Jetbike
    (113 )

ELITES-118

6 Howling Banshees in falcon
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Executioner
    (118 )

TROOPS-417

10 Dire Avengers
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Bladestorm
    -Dual Shuriken Catapults
    (152 )
    Wave Serpent
    -Twin Shuriken Cannons
    -Shuriken Cannon Upgrade
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    (140 )

10 Guardians
    -Scatter Laser
    -Warlock
    -Embolden
    (125 )

HEAVY SUPPORT-350

Falcon
    -Holo-field
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    -Scatter Laser
    (195 )

Wraithlord
    -Eldar Missile Launcher
    -Brightlance
    (155 )

Total: 998 points

Which list would work better against all different types of opponents? I think the first would be better against nids, and the second against MEQ's. What does everyone think?

Thanks

-baumann

Last edited by baumann; August 19th, 2007 at 09:43.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baumann View Post
    Here are a couple of lists I thought up after my first actual 1k cleanse mission (I usually play 1.5k). In the game I played against another eldar player, I had trouble holding my original table quarter because I was too focused on zooming up as soon as possible.
    Ignoring the fact that I pummeled his units after popping out of my transports, I still had trouble breaking some of his defense line and gaining his original quarter. While I was focused on doing this, he simply boosted some of his jetbikes around in the last turn to gain some quarters and tie up the game.

Anyway, the first list is a variant of the list I played previously. I took out my jetbike squad in replacement for some pathfinders because I think they would serve a better purpose both in holding table quarters and using their rifles in conjunction with doom. I would probably just infiltrate the scorps behind them for some counter assault, as someone suggested in an earlier thread I posted. Here is the first list:

HQ-113

Farseer
    -Doom
    -Singing Spear
    -Jetbike
    (113)

ELITES-276

6 Fire Dragons in falcon
    (96)

8 Striking Scorpions
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Scorpion’s Claw
    -Shadowstrike
    -Stalker
    (180)

TROOPS-412

10 Dire Avengers
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Bladestorm
    -Dual Shuriken Catapults
    (152)
    Wave Serpent
    -Twin Shuriken Cannons
    -Shuriken Cannon Upgrade
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    (140)

5 Rangers
    -Pathfinders
    (120)

HEAVY SUPPORT-195

Falcon
    -Holo-field
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    -Scatter Laser
    (195)

Total: 996 points

Although I'm a big fan of pathfinders, i think in this case some more DA will be better, try to scrape an extra unit of DA. but a good, solid list.

I find the second list to be slightly more offensive than the first. It still has nearly the same anti-tank potential, but more of a CC punch with the banshees (especially against MEQ's). I can also easily hold my original table quarter with the wraithlord and guardians, which will slowly advance while the rest of the army gets to enemy units as quickly as possible. Here is the second list:

HQ-113

Farseer
    -Doom
    -Singing Spear
    -Jetbike
    (113)

ELITES-118

6 Howling Banshees in falcon
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Executioner
    (11
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    THESE ARE SHOCKING, they NEED a wave serpent to be half decent. even against MEQ scorps will fare better. Banshees 18 attacks 9 hit 3 marines die. scorpions claw is going to kill 2 and the rest should kill around 2-3. plus the 3+ save and s4............ What's the obvious choice?

TROOPS-417

10 Dire Avengers
    -Exarch Upgrade
    -Bladestorm
    -Dual Shuriken Catapults
    (152)
    Wave Serpent
    -Twin Shuriken Cannons
    -Shuriken Cannon Upgrade
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    (140)
    my favourite.

10 Guardians
    -Scatter Laser
    -Warlock
    -Embolden
    (125)

Conceal for the warlock and u r using these as meat shields rite?

HEAVY SUPPORT-350

Falcon
    -Holo-field
    -Spirit Stones
    -Vectored Engines
    -Scatter Laser
    (195)

Wraithlord
    -Eldar Missile Launcher
    -Brightlance
    (155)

Total: 998 points

Still a very good list apart from the banshees, if ur not using guardians as meat shields drop them. DA are a much better deal.

Which list would work better against all different types of opponents? I think the first would be better against nids, and the second against MEQ's. What does everyone think?

Thanks

-baumann
    Both solid lists just some minor tweaks...
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scorpians list is much better, as are the stratagies you mentioned. I run a very similar list, the infiltrate of the Pathfinders and Scorpians is great, can be a deadly combo in small games especially, gives you a ton of flexibility in deployment to either grab and hold objectives, take out key units of his he may have deployed vulnerable to you, etc. I also agree that if you do field Banshees it almost has to be all 10 and in a wav serpent to be very effective. Against almost anything I still prefer the scorpians, higher str and volume of attacks usually does just as well against MEQ even though they get a save, and is far better against lower armor. Add the Scorpians better save, and infiltrate so they don't need a transport and are basically where you want them on turn 1, and Scorpians are a great choice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    255 (x6)

Most people will tell you to use scorpions. I do not like them, personally, because they are slow, and that does not fit with how I like to play eldar. Sure scorpions can kill more, and you will get every math-hammer eldar player in here telling you how they kill just as many MEQs as Banshees, but the simple fact is, people can just avoid them. They can only move 6" a turn, if your opponent doesn't want to combat you, then you are out of luck. Now banshees pretty much need to be run in a transport to do anything. You already have a farseer with Doom, which greatly helps them wound (their biggest defect).

Try out both lists in a few games against your friends. Find out what you do and don't like about each troop for yourself. It is all about how YOU like to play eldar, the choices are so varied you can make an army that plays EXACTLY how you want it to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I figured after reading a few replies on other forums that if my opponent doesn't want to get into CC with my scorps, he can just move away. Also, come to think of it, the pathfinders wouldn't be offensive enough of a fire base to even use a counter assault. Chances are, my opponent won't be too worried about me picking off a model or two each turn with some sniper rifles, so they will completely avoid the scorp+pathfinder combo.

Oh and just to make it clear, I didn't purposefully add the smilies in my point costs...they just sort of felt like squeezing their way into my post..haha oh well. I'll edit them out.
    Thanks for the critique by the way. I'll try both lists and see what I think. I just remodeled my wraithlord, so I'm pretty sure that thing will see battle before the scorpion list does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post
    Most people will tell you to use scorpions. I do not like them, personally, because they are slow, and that does not fit with how I like to play eldar. Sure scorpions can kill more, and you will get every math-hammer eldar player in here telling you how they kill just as many MEQs as Banshees, but the simple fact is, people can just avoid them. They can only move 6" a turn, if your opponent doesn't want to combat you, then you are out of luck. Now banshees pretty much need to be run in a transport to do anything. You already have a farseer with Doom, which greatly helps them wound (their biggest defect).

Try out both lists in a few games against your friends. Find out what you do and don't like about each troop for yourself. It is all about how YOU like to play eldar, the choices are so varied you can make an army that plays EXACTLY how you want it to.
    Scorpions infiltrate and move through cover.....
    If that's not good enough for ya then chuck em in a serpent....
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by frozencore View Post

Scorpions infiltrate and move through cover.....
    If that's not good enough for ya then chuck em in a serpent....
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

+ Reply to Thread