500 pts Tau - Need advice... - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

500 pts Tau - Need advice...

HQ

Shas'El
    Plasma Rifle
    Fusion Blaster
    Targeting Array
    Multi-Tracker

Cost: 97

ELITES

Crisis Suits
    TL Plasma Rifle
    Missile Pod

Cost: 67

TROOPS

Fire Warriors (12)
    Shas'ui upgrade

Cost: 130

Fire Warriors (12)
    Shas'ui upgrade

Cost: 130

FAST ATTACK

Piranha
    Fusion Blaster
    Disruption Pod

Cost: 70

Total: 494

Any advice?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A few thoughts:

HQ: Great, this is exactly what I use (I actually field two of these), they require a little finesse to us correctly, but they are worth every point.

Elite: This crisis suit needs a little help. You don't have a multi-tracker, so you can't fire multiple weapons, getting either TL-Plasma or a Missile Pod might not sound bad, but it is, it's a huge waste, I'll give you my replacement later.

Troops: Solid, exactly what you want.

Fast Attack: Forgive my internet speak: "My hat for Piranha no no limit.", I'm not a fan. This is not to say it's bad, I just really dislike Piranha, for the points I think you can get better options, especially with all of these force slots still open (yay low point games).

My Changes:

Drop the TL-Plasma/MP suit and the Piranha, this leaves you with 143 points, from here it really really depends on what you are going up against.

A good default:
    XV8 Crisis Suit (Shas'ui Team Leader) with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, TA, HW-MT (Fireknife)
    77 points of jack of all trades killing that mirrors the suit you had fairly well, but it puts out more shots with basically no net change in accuracy (gain in the MPs, slight loss in Plasma).
    And
    XV8 Crisis Suit with TL-Missile Pod, TA (Deathrain)
    53 points of light armor (the most common armor I assume you're going to see) killing. Two solid shots that rarely miss, good range, all around good suit.
    Then spend the last 10 points bonding the FW squads.

A slightly better idea if you are comfortable using them is:
    Stealth Suit Team 3x w/ Burst Cannon 90 points
    If you can learn to use them they are insanely handy, it's important to note that "earning back their points" is NOT a good definition of knowing how to use them. The best advice I ever heard for Stealth Suits (from someone here, I forget who) "Don't try to kill things for a few games with stealth suits, just try to keep them alive, once you get the hang of that, keep doing that, but take advantage of opportunities when the walk into your path."
    And
    XV8 Crisis Suit with TL-Missile Pod, TA (Deathrain) 53 points

Lastly a crazy idea:
    Drop the Shas'ui and on FWer from one of the teams, then drop in:
    Hammerhead w/ Rail Gun, 2x Burst Cannon, DL, MT 165 points
    In low point games some people tend to not pack anti-armor, so sometimes a heavy tank can totally catch people off guard.

Good luck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go another battlesuit over the pirana, definatly, they are a much more solid all round unit. Maybe add a devilfish with your troops if you wanted, just anything but a pirana? lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

I would drop the piranha for sure (do you really need 2 fusion blasters at 500 pts? the effectiveness of piranhas is indoubt anyway). I would also drop the Burning Eye suit and get either an FK5 (a shas'el) or a deathrain and a FK4 (teamleader). Remember that FK4s (teamleaders with tagetting array, MP and PR) are better then BEs at almost everything for only marginally more points. Only get BEs in units of 2 or 3, otherwise have FK4s instead.

+ Reply to Thread