Skyray/Warfish School: 2000 competetive - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Skyray/Warfish School: 2000 competetive

Shas'el +Missle +TL Fusion
    12 Fire Warriors +Devilfish +SMS +MT +TA +DL
    Skyray +SMS +TA +DL
    Skyray +SMS +TA +DL
    Skyray +SMS +TA +DL

15 points to spare, I've been contemplating upgrading the the shas'el but the TL Fusion are great for those tough AV 14 platforms. The basic concept is that all units move forward in a line perpendicular to their direction, with the Skyrays mildly behind, one at the middle of the six devilfish, and two on each end, so it looks roughly like an "m". All units move forward max distance, the Skyrays launching seeker missles and all vehicles firing their weapons. When they get close enough, the entire formation enflicts a Fish of Fury tactic upon the enemy, each fire warrior squad's target also being targeted by the Skyrays' markerlights for a potential... 198 pulse rifle equivalent shots going into the enemy, if lucky, all will be at bs4 (if unlucky a majority will be at bs4 anyways). Simply, I wanted to take the FoF tactic to the next level, and this seems as though it may be very effective if used properly. Thoughts/comments please.

My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok nice experimental list. a few thoughts, pathfinders might work better than skyrays due to the tau's need to concentrate firepower beside if you take a unit of pathfinders you can actually Deep strike (dont forget the pathfinders ability to reroll DS) your HQ to make better use of the fusion blaster

secondly im not convinced the FoF tactic is going to be any more effective with 6 FoF units Verses 2-3 FoF units. i think the lack of cover you will inevitably place your warriors in after they jump out will be a source of weakness. also if you are moving foward at full speed you are in fact placing your warriors closer to the enemy assult troops than they need to be.

on the positive side having this many skimmers in your list means you will be very stingy when it comes up to giving your opponent any Victory Points.;Y tau tanks are not exactally frail

dont forget no army ever created can match your mobility.

ever considered flechette dischargers? theres nothing else to assult BUT your tanks

so i guess my suggestions would be lose 2 FoF squads . grab a pathfinder squad. go for 2 skyrays and 1 railhead instead of 3 skyrays
    " i once attempted to help an inquisitor who had stumbled over a cliff, but i couldn't help thinking no good was going to come of him yelling DIE HERITIC!!!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thoughts:

First off, cool experimental list, I appreciate the theory. Now the thoughts:

HQ: Holy disparate ranges batman! I would say instead of doing this loadout do a normal Helios suit, it gives you a little more firepower honestly, I really am not thrilled with the prospect of getting to fire two missiles at BS4 or one TL-fusion shot at BS4. The helios allows for MEQ killing power along with the anti AV14 you're looking for.

Heavy Support: These guys need MTs so they can skim and shoot, the boost in survivability is worth the extra points, I would make a comment about throwing in a 'head, but this list is an experiment, so I'll skip that comment.

Looking at the skyray/FOF in general:
    I had a *lot* of math typed in here, then I realized that no one really wanted to see it more then likely. The firepower is impressive, plain and simple, but I have a few warnings as to tactics and use.

1) A dead Fish is a dead squad of FWers. They will be non-mobile, they will be the only easy to hit infantry target, bad news for them, and honestly, if I was staring at this list, I would more then likely ignore the skyrays and aim for the warfish. This is a big bet on the survivability of warfish (a good bet, but one you need to be aware of).

2) Lack of anti-tank/monst. creature killing. I just don't trust 18 smart missiles I know you have the TL-FB, but stuff happens..., I just don't know though, best guest, try it, tell us how it works.

I think that goes for the whole list, there really isn't much that can be said since it's experimental, so, you know. experiment, give us a battle report, tell us how it worked. I for one am really curious (and hopeful, you're playing Tau therefore I have to root for you ;Y).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Ahh, thanks for pointing out the bit about Multi-trackers, it is quite necessary. Now I have the option of either dropping 15 points off of my Shas'el so that I might maintain the 6 Warfish 3 Skyray configuration (the more the merrier, and the list is based around this to boot) or I can drop 2 Fire Warriors from a tank, OR I can make a serious revamp to my list. The second option seems quite attractive, however, as an alternate I am considering a list that looks like this.

12 Fire Warriors +Devilfish +SMS +MT +FL +TA +DL
    Skyray +SMS +MT +FL +TA +DL

This leaves me with 145 points to spare, so I want to add a Shas'ui team leader to each squad, along with a bonding knife for 15 points/squad, reducing my available points to 70.

An EMP grenade for extra anti-tank on each Shas'ui will cost another 15 points, down to 55.

After that, I'm not sure, any ideas guys? I could get a deathrain, but it doesn't fit very well with the list.
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    This leaves me with 145 points to spare, so I want to add a Shas'ui team leader to each squad, along with a bonding knife for 15 points/squad, reducing my available points to 70.
    I am happy you fit bonding knives in and now I am going to suggest something completely (COMPLETELY) crrazzaaaayyy.

Vespid Stingwings you can run 3(1 a strandleader total. 54pts) This squad can try to keep up with the vehicles and can be used as a counter assault (although a poor idea) it may save a Fire Warrior Squad.

They also offer some AP3 and I don't think your running any yet. (I don't how else you make an experimental list more experimental!)

;Y. Well however you do it I wouldn't want to play agianst you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

I needed to add in a cheap vehicle, and I have found my solution! Finalized, reformatted list:

12 Fire Warriors +Leader +Bond +Devilfish +SMS +MT +FL +TA +DL
    Piranha +Fusion +TA

Pirhana for extra gun drones to extend the FoF line, extra anti-tank (which I am lacking a bit) and last-turn objective stealing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nother good idea seems like a real strong list and I am sure people will to too worried about all the warfish baring down on them to worry about a little pirhana.

Haha. Still thought It was fun trying to find a way to incorporate a stingwing. (I wanted to try suggesting the stealth team markerlight team for other crazy fun, but cost way too many pts.)

Soooo, many skimmers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

I played a game with about the same weapon setup, I had mega trouble killing 2+ SV carnifexes. I didn't kill either of the two in 6 rounds of shooting, even with lots of burst cannons and pulse rifles. I would drop one troops choice and take a couple of 2 man crisis squads with plasma rifles. This way they can keep up with the fish while keeping behind cover and still take out terminators etc with 2+ saves. Or take a couple more piranhas instead packing fusion blasters and just pour them into the tough beasties all at once.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

128 (x4)

Ahhh, an opponent I had not considered. My aim is to keep this list pure-mech, so I could drop another Warfish and squad and buy... 3 Piranhas with fusion blasters and targeting arrays and add decoy launchers since they'll be suffering lots of glancing. Leaves me with 35 points. Ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your Shas'el could benefit from a targeting array and a multi-tracker.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast