1k starter force needs a little help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1k starter force needs a little help

Been planning my starter force as of late and think i have it mostly done, i was initially trying to avoid MCs and use zoanthropes as my antitank but as Jonesie kindly pointe dout to me in another thread zoans with no MCs = Zoans drawing a lot of big guns. Anyway this is my list so far.

4 warriors - 164pts
    Weapons - rending claws, sything talons
    Biomorphs - Leaping, I adrenal glands, extended carapace

4 warriors - 164pts

15 Hormagaunts - 180pts
    Biomorphs - WS and I adrenal glands

15 Hormagaunts - 180pts

12 spinegaunts - 60pts

3 Raveners - 120pts
    Weapons - Rending claws & Sything talons

2 Zoanthropes - 130pts
    Powers - Warp blast, synapse creature

Any general advice is much welcomed but what's really tripping me up is how to include a fire magnet (read cheap dakkafex) to draw antitank fire from the Zoans... do i drop the raveners and go with a cheap dakkafex (just the devourers and enhanced senses) or do i drop a unit of warriors and go for a more beefed up dakkafex (the devs, enhanced senses, bonded exoskeleton and extended carapace).

Seems to me the 2nd is a much tougher firemagnet being all but immune to everything but the largest antitank guns but is it necessary?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop the biomorphs on the hormagaunts.
    not worth it
    and imho, get a tyrant

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could go with a flytyrant with warpfield and devourers. It would give you synapse to keep up with the hormagaunts and I am almost positive leaping warriors will have trouble sticking within 12" if you (hopefully) get good fleet rolls.

From your Hormagaunt layout it looks like your going to be going after Space Marines. I would probably just go with WS (or none) and go with more numbers. 5 WS will give you that +3. (BUTTT) and thats a big butt. If you removed the biomorphs and found 20 free points you can get a Lictor. you could attempt to drop him in near your hormies and the feeder tendrils will give you preferred enemy (+3 To Hit).

GL using Zoanthropes as anti-tank (will be rough due to short range), but personally I like being unorthodox. Until I realized I was a crazy person I used a battery of 3 biovores. Was worthless for anti-tank and I even useually had direct hits.

Usually I don't like hormagaunts because they are so expensive, but I wouldn't expect them to take a lot of fire, unless someone knows better. My CC warriors take sooo much fire (I gave them Tyrant Scything Talons so they look intimidating);Y.

Like the Unorthodoxyness of your list, but you really might want to go with a tyrant (Doesn't need to be anti-tank) ie Dakka, but if you are really opposed to them, there are other options.

hope some of that ended up coherent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right first of all thanks for the suggestions guys i've had a good think and come up with this

Tyrant - 186pts
    Weapons - 2 x devourers (or sything talons)
    Biomorhps - Winged, Toxin sacs
    Powers - Warp field

4 warriors - 164pts

15 Hormagaunts - 180pts

14 Spinegaunts - 70pts

14 Spinegaunts - 70pts

14 Spinegaunts - 70pts

3 Raveners - 120pts

2 Zoanthropes - 130pts

I know you both said drop the biomorphs but i figure on hormagaunts being a sort of elite gaunt and having proxied it a few times the ability to hit before marines and hit them on 3s not to mention strike simultaniously with eldar and hit them on 3s (my 2 main opponents) is a huge help.
    I'm not sure i see how i can fit a lictor in, i did try but i can't see a way.

Took your advice on the flyrant but now am unsure if he'd be better off (and scarier) with talons after all 1 of his jobs is to draw fire of the zoans, what do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Nbolo View Post
    Right first of all thanks for the suggestions guys i've had a good think and come up with this

Tyrant - 186pts
    Weapons - 2 x devourers (or sything talons)
    Biomorhps - Winged, Toxin sacs
    Powers - Warp field

Intimidating Fire base and synapse. (Warp field should help keep it alive and it will take lots of fire). Might be useful to send the same way as the hormies.

4 warriors - 164pts

Should do a great job keeping up with spinegaunts

15 Hormagaunts - 180pts

They will get there quick and hopefully stay in synapse extra initiative should help in a sweeping advance and (due to your enemies) the initiative should prove to be extremely useful.

14 Spinegaunts - 70pts

14 Spinegaunts - 70pts

14 Spinegaunts - 70pts

Good Bulk. (wish they attracted some fire tho )

3 Raveners - 120pts

Good Anti-elite make sure to run these in 3 seperate units too. (they can attack the same thing just enemies will have to split fire to shoot at all of them.)

2 Zoanthropes - 130pts

BS will be a pain, but when you hit you will be able to penatrate tank armor (rare for tyranids shooting) also good for anti-marines (template) I might look to get rid of some gaunts in order to field another zoanthrope.

idk if you have to talk all the same biomorphs.

I know you both said drop the biomorphs but i figure on hormagaunts being a sort of elite gaunt and having proxied it a few times the ability to hit before marines and hit them on 3s not to mention strike simultaniously with eldar and hit them on 3s (my 2 main opponents) is a huge help.
    I'm not sure i see how i can fit a lictor in, i did try but i can't see a way.

1hormagaunt squad is not that bad a burden point wise

Took your advice on the flyrant but now am unsure if he'd be better off (and scarier) with talons after all 1 of his jobs is to draw fire of the zoans, what do you guys think?

That model is big enough (wings will make him even bigger) that if it doesn't draw nearly all anti-tank fire first turn I'd be surprised.

Total 990pts (right?)
    I wish I had a flytyrant so much, 24 attacks before you get into melee combat fun stuff.
    I'm still most worried about tanks, but you should be able to slice through guardsmen and the like, the same as butter.

GL and post any results.
    Last edited by jONESIE; September 11th, 2007 at 17:12. Reason: Stats ;)

loves purple tyranids SGluciousa's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    62 (x2)

I have only one disagreement with you enjoi. I think that he could do with the 20 more spinegaunts instead of the hormys. plus you could then take a lictor. lictor is good for small tanks and pesty gaurdsmen. 52 Gaunts take mucho firepower for me. I have one hundred gaunts. I usually outnumber my opponent by three. he kills a third so i still outnumber by 2. then my flyrant and lictors and spines take care of the rest of the troops. I like your list and I think it has great potential.
    The Great Plague meets The Devourer of The Galaxy. What does that make us?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the kind words guys

SGluciousa
    I have only one disagreement with you enjoi. I think that he could do with the 20 more spinegaunts instead of the hormys. plus you could then take a lictor. lictor is good for small tanks and pesty gaurdsmen. 52 Gaunts take mucho firepower for me. I have one hundred gaunts. I usually outnumber my opponent by three. he kills a third so i still outnumber by 2. then my flyrant and lictors and spines take care of the rest of the troops. I like your list and I think it has great potential.
    This isn't a bad idea and if i was gonna take this list into serious tournies i'd definatley take your advice there . But as this list is mainly for fun games at my local store and i'm quite a big fan of finesse units (which is what i see my hormagaunts as) fear the kid in me may have to keep them around lol.
    Still nothing's been bought yet so i'll keep it in mind.

Enjoi thanks for that indepth bit of analysis, i hope you're right about the flyrant and as for results i'll probably write my first game up as a decent report.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, much pressure!!!

heh. I'm sure you'll like the winged tyrant. (being able to reroll 12 hits and wounds is fun.)

Hormies are expensive but they are kind of a suedo elite unit.
    I like running 10pt devourers in this manner.

The hormagaunts should be able to take out an entire enemy squad, the matter is whether they will run out of synapse, get shot up and run toward snyapse, basically finishing for the game.

yeah you won't hurt my feelings if you don't use a flytrant or something i suggested.
    (converting my hormagaunts to spinegaunts hurt my soul .)

What is most important is playing an army you like and have it be a little bit competitive (so your not getting tossed around every game). I'm happy you didn't start with the battle box (Mine didn't come with any warriors, Gotta kick some GW guy in the nuts for that.)

Enjoi.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Didn't come with any warriors? =S sounds like kicking is indeed justified there.
    Am definatley going with the flyrant i think, scary scary beast.

Speaking of justified kicking just finished a game with my marines vs eldar.. falcons with holofields, spiritstones and vectored engine... how do you kill it? i donno (a 4 man tacical squad did beat off a charging unit of shingning spears though made me laugh). Anyway that's very much off topic for this thread (sorry).

When you say 10 pt devourers you mean gaunts with Devs and Toxin sacs right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enjoi_Tyranids View Post
    Could go with a flytyrant with warpfield and devourers. It would give you synapse to keep up with the hormagaunts and I am almost positive leaping warriors will have trouble sticking within 12" if you (hopefully) get good fleet rolls.
    ??? Warriors don't get fleet rolls. Leaping doesn't make the beasts. thought I"d bring that up.

From your Hormagaunt layout it looks like your going to be going after Space Marines. I would probably just go with WS (or none) and go with more numbers. 5 WS will give you that +3. (BUTTT) and thats a big butt. If you removed the biomorphs and found 20 free points you can get a Lictor. you could attempt to drop him in near your hormies and the feeder tendrils will give you preferred enemy (+3 To Hit).

GL using Zoanthropes as anti-tank (will be rough due to short range), but personally I like being unorthodox. Until I realized I was a crazy person I used a battery of 3 biovores. Was worthless for anti-tank and I even useually had direct hits.

Usually I don't like hormagaunts because they are so expensive, but I wouldn't expect them to take a lot of fire, unless someone knows better. My CC warriors take sooo much fire (I gave them Tyrant Scything Talons so they look intimidating);Y.

Like the Unorthodoxyness of your list, but you really might want to go with a tyrant (Doesn't need to be anti-tank) ie Dakka, but if you are really opposed to them, there are other options.

hope some of that ended up coherent.
    @ Brother nbolo. The list looks good. I think the hormogaunts however are unneeded and should be replaced with genestealers. Then drop two spinegaunt squads for another genestealer squad. These should be 8 man broods with EC. It'll give you the extra CC you need especially if you plan to enter tournies (rending always hurts)
    Never broken, Never fallen, Courage out of fear.
    "Those who give up often do not realize just how close they are to success when they give up."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast