1500 foot slogging - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 foot slogging

1500 Eldar Footslogging

HQ
    Eldrad Ulthran

Elites
    10 Striking Scorpions- Exarch with scorpion's claw, shadow strike, stalker

Troops
    10 Dire Avengers- Exarch with dual catapults, bladestorm
    10 Dire Avengers- Exarch with bladestorm

Fast Attack
    10 Warp Spiders- Exarch with dual spinners, withdraw

Heavy Support
    Wraithlord- Brightlance, EML

5 Dark Reapers- Exarch with eldar missile launcher, fastshot

nothing amazingly fast, but still mobile. very little static shooting, and i can use eldrad to deploy the reapers in a lane of fire making my opponent not deploy there. then il reposition and find a spot where i can wreck some meq's (if anyone could tell me what the words in the acronym are ide appreciate it. ive figured out that meq=3+ save though). scorpion's are my counter charge unit of choice.

on the 2nd squad of avengers' exarch not having dual cats: i was at 1505 with the dual cats...seemed to be the best thing to remove.

comments are appreciated

Last edited by LightningGus 3; September 17th, 2007 at 02:53.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    951 (x8)

HQ: Thats a lot of points spent on HQs. I would be tempted to swap the avatar for a second wraithlord to give long range, steady firpower as you advance. If you take the avatar you have to get in close, with the wraithlord you have the choice.

Eldrad: He is expensive for what he does. considder that you could bet a single farseer with doom and another squad of dire avengers for about the same points. 30 Dire avengers firing will kick out more firepower than 20 with guide and they have 10 more wounds. Later in the game when you have taken casualties the difference is even more pronounced.

Scorpions: Perfect

Troops: Fine

Spiders: almost perfect. Get power blades if you can.

Wraithlord: As above I would take a second of these.

Reapers: I don't like the exarch as they are too many points. If you went for two wtaithlords then just take 5 Reapers with no exarch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

hmm, inclined to disagree a fair amount with the above, Eldrads special abilities for example gives you back some mobility during deployment, I do think the Avatar is superflous and would replace with another wraithlord, I ike the reapers, if you get seperate for points then slim the spider squad, I suspect this is worth doing to get power blades and have your spiders deepstrike
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by LightningGus 3 View Post
    (if anyone could tell me what the words in the acronym are ide appreciate it. ive figured out that meq=3+ save though).
    It stands for Marine Equivelant. And yes more than anything it refers to the 3+ save.

scorpion's are my counter charge unit of choice.
    They are rock solid. But please do not look upon them merely as a counter charge unit. With infiltrate they are a serious threat.

on the 2nd squad of avengers' exarch not having dual cats: i was at 1505 with the dual cats...seemed to be the best thing to remove.
    You actually do lose a lot of firepower there. I would try to find the points elsewhere.

comments are appreciated
    There is great synergy between Eldrad and Dark Reapers. Reapers are notoriously hard to place right. Being able to redeploy them means you can deploy them so that they forces the enemy to hide from them, and then move them elsewhere. The same goes for the Wraithlord.

In this list I certainly think you should keep your Dark Reaper exarch. As it is he is more or less half of your tank hunting potential. Two strenght 8 shots that hit on 2+ should worry anyone.

You have the Avatar mainly to make your avengers fearless and to discourage assaults on them. I agree with Chered and Mad Cat that he could be replaced. I would probably not go for another Wraithlord though, but aim for either a Falcon or Prism. This will greatly increase you anti tank firepower and add some speed to the list.

/Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I may I would like to inquire on the tactics behind the power blade on the spiders. I guess i could see assaulting a unit, getting some power weapon atks, riding out my opponents combat getting more pwer weapon atks and at the end of his turn withdrawing. I could only see doing that on a very weak combat squad such as 5 tac marines.

if it is worth using i could drop a spider and grab the blades, then also toss the dire avenger exarch some dual cats. on top of that i only have 9 spider models lol.

with that i have 7 points which would allow the second wraithlord to have a lance/starcannon vs. the lance/EML, im not sure if two lance/eml lords would be overly redundant.
    I'm against the falcon/fire prism because they are slightly more expensive and it would take away from the 100% footslog feel =). I have another army @1500 with some 5 tanks, and i would like to try the opposite.

edit: i just realized that in order for spiders to DS you need an exarch power...i thought it could be done with any jump units. that means that if i remove the one spider i wouldnt be able to get the power blades/surprise assault and the dual cats for the DAs. i also wouldnt have the option of lance/starcannon on the 2nd lord.

il have to reconsider my choices once i learn the tactics behind DS and the powerblades on the spiders.
    Last edited by LightningGus 3; September 18th, 2007 at 04:08.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    228 (x8)

Warp Spiders are often forced to dive into assault to protect them from shooting. The powerblades always make their points back in these instances.

I could only see doing that on a very weak combat squad such as 5 tac marines.
    There aint much left after the spiders have shot them up, you will generally be diving into weak squads.

Eldrad works well with the avatar or reapers, guide/fortune on reapers with doom (if in range) is positively evil. However if he wants to stay with the avatar he'll be out of range of the reapers. You have to figure out which squad Eldrad wants to be with (although he can still help the avatar and redeploy the reapers).

A huge benefit of Eldrads redeployment is pushing your opponent back. Put the 1st thing you deploy as far fowards as you can (especially good in cleanse) and they get very little room left to deploy in as they have to stay a certain distance from you. After you've pushed them back Eldrad moves that squad back to a good place.

I'm kinda nervous at the idea of 2 wraithlords as Eldrad is the only psyker in the list. It could work it just means if you do end up taking a 2nd your freedom with them is severely limited.

Against everyone else I'd say keep the avatar, march him forwards with Eldrad and the Wraithlord under fortune. If you're going to charge attach Eldrad to one of the monsters and fortune the both of them.

Overall I like the list as it is really, you've spent a lot on HQ but thats fine in this instance. It's not as though theres a hard and fast rule for it.

Consider dropping shadowstrike from the scorpions, that way they march with the other units but get into fortune range. Or you can just shadowstrike them 6" forwards of Eldrad at the start of the game.

Drop withdraw to get a shimmershield/power weapon on the 2nd avenger squad.

Lastly if you ever want a change from Eldrad this could be good for your list too:

Jetbike Farseer /w fortune, doom, spirit stones, witnessing, warding. singing spear
    He will get still be able to fortune units like the scorpions or spiders due to his speed if the avatar or reapers die. Doom is for the benefit of the avengers and reapers.

Good Luck.
    Check out my Codex: Farmyard Animals here!

If anyone wants any kind of help writing fluff for any kind of GW army just ask.

Fluffmaster
    Anzac Clan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with everything said above, especially getting the tarpit squad (power weapon/shimmershield), Eldrad is great for forcing your opponent to make decisions, then changing what those decisions were based on. Great for making him/her react to you and not the other way around, which is really what Eldar are best at. Regarding Deep Strike, I'm not sure you need it on the Spiders, since they move fast and will get anywhere you want in two turns, about the same as DS.

A Wraithsword might be good on one of the Lords, just to take on other MCs in melee (more to finish them than anything else).
    "Thousand Sons! Fight in the Emperor's name!"

W/D/L
    DA :8/5/7 Eldar:3/3/5 1KSons:3/1/2

+ Reply to Thread