2000 pt mech. tourney - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

2000 pt mech. tourney

Hey guys, I don't have nearly enough stuff to make this army yet (The only grav-tanks I have are 2 falcons that look pretty terrible cause they were painted like 6 or 7 years ago) but I just wanted to see if this is the sort of direction I should take the army. I'm a bit iffy on a mech list, since I know they can be extremely powerful, but a lot of people tend to hate on them when it crushes them. So anyway:

HQ
    Autarch with Mandiblasters and Powersword (In Wave Serpent with Banshees)
    90 pts

Farseer with singing spear, spirit stones, doom, fortune, and jetbike
    163 pts (Seems kind of pricey to me, your thoughts?)

Elites
    10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch with Claw and Shadow Strike
    207 pts

10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Mirrorswords and Acrobatic
    187 pts
    Wave Serpent with TL Missile Launchers and Spirit Stones
    130 pts

6 Harlequins, Shadowseer, all have Harlequins kiss
    162 pts

Troops
    10 Dire Avengers, Exarch with 2 Shuricats and bladestorm
    152 pts
    130 pts

152 pts
    130 pts

Heavy Support
    Falcon Grav-Tank with Shuriken Cannon, Holo-fields, and spirit stones (transports harlies)
    175 pts

Fire Prism with Holo-fields and spirit stones
    160 pts

160 pts

Total models: 54
    Total Points: 1998

Basically, Autarch is like having an extra banshee exarch (with 3 wounds and an invul save) and is there to help in missions with escalation. I was torn between this configuration with heavy support, or going 3 falcons. I'm still not sure which I prefer. One thing I learned from my last army (which featured 2 falcons as glorified wave serpents) is that my heavy support needs to be killing stuff, not transporting it. So I might even take the harlies out of this one, but theyd be too slow otherwise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, I like your list very much, perhaps beacause it's kind of similar to the one I created some days ago:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...74&postcount=5

I like your inclusion of the banshees, too many people are putting them out of their lists, because they think harlequines are better. The scorpions are also a good idea, but since they are the only infiltrating team, they'll perhaps get gunned down, if the opponent starts.

The only problem of the list is the lack of strength 6 shots, I think. Perhaps you should replace one or two twin-linked EMLs (those on the Serpents) with Scatter Lasers. Twin-linked Shuricannons are another idea, combined with the Shruricannon undermount they can be kinda wicked!

As I said, I created a similar list and will test it soon, perhaps I can be a bigger help if I gain some mech experience...

Cheers,

Doc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Der_Kaiser View Post
    Hey guys, I don't have nearly enough stuff to make this army yet (The only grav-tanks I have are 2 falcons that look pretty terrible cause they were painted like 6 or 7 years ago) but I just wanted to see if this is the sort of direction I should take the army. I'm a bit iffy on a mech list, since I know they can be extremely powerful, but a lot of people tend to hate on them when it crushes them. So anyway:

HQ
    Autarch with Mandiblasters and Powersword (In Wave Serpent with Banshees)
    90 pts
    not entirely effective, the banshees suffer from low str, the autarch does the same, he will probably at best cause 2 wounds, however he is not prolifically expensive, if you just had one HQ and hence was mandatory it would be a definate yes, as it stands I am a little dubious

Farseer with singing spear, spirit stones, doom, fortune, and jetbike
    163 pts (Seems kind of pricey to me, your thoughts?)
    [/quote]
    he is pricey, all eldar stuff is pricey, the point is therefore do you need him? what does he do/give you?
    I suspect you are putting him with the banshees, which is fineish, but read comments on bashees
    Elites
    10 Striking Scorpions, Exarch with Claw and Shadow Strike
    207 pts
    get stalker, it is invaluable
    10 Howling Banshees, Exarch with Mirrorswords and Acrobatic
    187 pts
    130 pts
    Banshees are very difficult to use effectively, you move up, you need to be at a point where you are going to get into combat next turn, that means, 2 inch deploy, 6 inch move, fleet and 6 inch charge (what? about 15 inches to be safe? but your transport will probably stop you getting closer than 8-10 inches, if he moves, you can find yourself caught out.
    banshees look nice but struggle to wound, particularly agianst MEQs needing 5s. Hence the executioner is the normal choice of weapons on the exarch.
    However, I suspect to compensate you have thrown in the farseer, also slightly risky - the tank wont block LOS to the farseer, being a skimmer, the end result is a high risk stratergy which is very expensive (600+ points on this unit if both HQs support) - my concern is that is close to 1/3 of your army invested in a tactic that is not easy to pull off.
    Add to that the risk that after the first combat, you can find yourself standing high and dry without cover, if you dont manage to consolidate out the way, you will likely to get shot to shreds
    all in all I am concern that you have spent too many points creating an uber unit, I would therefore either:
    1. drop the autarch and slim down the farseer (loosing fortune)
    or 2. drop the farseer and give the exarch an executioner
    6 Harlequins, Shadowseer, all have Harlequins kiss
    162 pts
    fine., falcon time?
    Troops
    152 pts
    130 pts

152 pts
    130 pts
    fine
    Heavy Support
    Falcon Grav-Tank with Shuriken Cannon, Holo-fields, and spirit stones (transports harlies)
    175 pts
    be worth leaveraging some points to ad a second cannon
    160 pts

160 pts
    Fine
    Total models: 54
    Total Points: 1998

Basically, Autarch is like having an extra banshee exarch (with 3 wounds and an invul save) and is there to help in missions with escalation. I was torn between this configuration with heavy support, or going 3 falcons. I'm still not sure which I prefer. One thing I learned from my last army (which featured 2 falcons as glorified wave serpents) is that my heavy support needs to be killing stuff, not transporting it. So I might even take the harlies out of this one, but theyd be too slow otherwise.
    agreed, the harleys could go, perhaps a second serpent and banshee squad at thbe expense of one of your tanks?
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x2)

Thanks for the tips.

One thing I've considered doing is removingthe banshees, and putting the scorps in their wave serpent. Everyone keeps telling me that there's no reason to give scorps a serpent, since they can infiltrate, but I've always found it easier to coordinate my attacks with them in a transport. I was also thinking that rather than having the harlies in a falcon, I'd flesh it out to 10 members and have them on foot. I heard of one strategy which has the harlies in the center as the grav-tanks flank. Then, any enemies attacking down the opposite flank need to go through the harlies. I don't know, might work. In that case, it might make sense to have the farseer footslog so that he can fortune the harlies, as I've found fortune is very tide-turning in their performance.

+ Reply to Thread