2000 Points Eldar (Avatar Phalanx Based) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 Points Eldar (Avatar Phalanx Based)

Farseer (doom, spirit stones, mind war) 120

10 Guardians with ConcealWarlocks+Spear 123
    10 Guardians with ConcealWarlocks+Spear 123
    5 Dire Avengers with DualCannonExarch+Bladestorm 92

3 Shining Spears with StarlanceExarch+Withdraw 157
    3 Shining Spears with StarlanceExarch+Withdraw 157
    6 Swooping Hawks with SunrifleExarch+Skyleap 168

3 Dark Reapers with E.M.L.Exarch+Fast Shot 147
    1 WraithLord with E.M.L. 115
    3 WarWalkers with Starcannons 240

7 Howling Banshees with ExecutionerExarch+Acrobatic/WarShout 144
    8 Striking Scorpions with BitingBladeExarch+Shadowstrike 165

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take Eldrad, he's the best choice for an Avatar phalanx.
    The army lacks anti-tank.
    The Shining Spears are too small, one casualty and the squad faces a morale check.
    The Banshees need a transport, and the Scorpions should have infiltrate + move through cover.
    Moderator 40kOnline

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eldrad is too many points for what I would use him for.

This army has 10 different possibilities for anti-tank.

I plan on keeping the spears close to the avatar.

The banshees are staying behind the avatar.

The scorpions have infiltrate and move through cover is a waste of points.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Keeping the spears near your Avatar kills the whole point of taking them, speed. I'd suggest dropping one of the squads, and beefing out your dire avengers. Both squads are undersized, in a major kind of way. I'd also suggest fortune over mind war.
    War walkers with starcannons are not worth it when you already have Dark Reapers. Give them scatter lasers instead. It shaves 60 points off your list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What heavy weapon do your Guardians have? They have to have a heavy weapon according to the new codex.

Unless they are Storm Guardians, in which case write that they are storm guardians.

I agree with beefing out your dire avengers, your dark reapers, and scatterlaser-ing your War Walkers.

Scorpions:
    Move through cover ISNT a waste of points, because what if your opponent gets first turn? they walk towards your scorpions, confident they wont be able to go 10 inches through the terrain they're going to be walking through. However, if you roll 3 dice, you have an awesome chance of getting a 4+. Also, id take a Scorpion Claw instead of a biting blade, and maybe take off a scorpion. Wounding first is nice, but if they can save it with their armour, whats the point? Besides, you can just take the casualties off your regular scorpies in CC instead of the exarch to keep your Claw doing what's best. Smashing things. Also, it increases your squad flexibility, with the Claw very usable for anti-tanking and monster hunting.

Phalanx:
    I honestly would beef out your phalanx to max sizes to abuse fearlessness, and the Warlocks' Conceal on the Guardians.

Also, Eldrad is an AWESOME choice, since he can hide behind the avatar, fortune the Avatar, and guide both (preferably maxed out) Guardian Squads, and rip through every short-ranged threat.

Banshees:

Wave Serpent, man. -WAVE SERPENT-. They keep your banshees not getting picked off at long range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kahou View Post
    What heavy weapon do your Guardians have? They have to have a heavy weapon according to the new codex.

Unless they are Storm Guardians, in which case write that they are storm guardians.

I agree with beefing out your dire avengers, your dark reapers, and scatterlaser-ing your War Walkers.

Scorpions:
    Move through cover ISNT a waste of points, because what if your opponent gets first turn? they walk towards your scorpions, confident they wont be able to go 10 inches through the terrain they're going to be walking through. However, if you roll 3 dice, you have an awesome chance of getting a 4+. Also, id take a Scorpion Claw instead of a biting blade, and maybe take off a scorpion. Wounding first is nice, but if they can save it with their armour, whats the point? Besides, you can just take the casualties off your regular scorpies in CC instead of the exarch to keep your Claw doing what's best. Smashing things. Also, it increases your squad flexibility, with the Claw very usable for anti-tanking and monster hunting.

Phalanx:
    I honestly would beef out your phalanx to max sizes to abuse fearlessness, and the Warlocks' Conceal on the Guardians.

Also, Eldrad is an AWESOME choice, since he can hide behind the avatar, fortune the Avatar, and guide both (preferably maxed out) Guardian Squads, and rip through every short-ranged threat.

Banshees:

Wave Serpent, man. -WAVE SERPENT-. They keep your banshees not getting picked off at long range.
    Guardian Advice Retort
    They must have a heavy weapon, eh? Point conceded; I must have missed that stricture. Your unintended advice has led me to change them to StormGuardians with one flamer and the Warlock power being Enhance. This causes them to lose some survivability without conceal, but it fits more with their ... Stormieness. That and the Avatar would be pissed at my missed chance at fluffiness.

Dire Avenger Advice Retort
    I plan on running my Dire Avengers along with my Stormies as an amelioration to their lack of shooting. I've a low number of DA models (ten, lololol) so taking two squads of five with a bladestorming, dualcatapulting Exarch leading each is the best way I can min/max.

Dark Reaper/Warwalker Retort
    You guys miss the point entirely of what these units are supposed to be doing in my games. There's no point in taking more than 3 Dark Reapers as my Exarch is being fielded solely to be a very reliable anti-tank unit.
    As to the Warwalkers, I realize that they're the most singularly expensive unit I've fielded, however I find that I lack the ability to annihilate terminators with the other high AP weapons the Eldar have available. The other reason that I decided to field these is that something about 12 Starcannon shots just seems really appealing to me. Scatter lasers may have the same strength, but the AP is way too high for my purposes.

Stalking Scorpions Retort
    I find the Biting Blade to take out tanks and monsters just fine, but I do concede to your point of cutting through armor; what a marvelous revelation! However, move through cover will never be worth the points for me. I generally don't play on maps where moving through terrain is an issue. Taking one less is also something I'll consider.

Phalanx Retort (squad size and banshees)
    The phalanx isn't really what I'm aimed for here. This is a mock phalanx. This is a spearhead that's supposed to look really menacing to throw my opponent off-balance. Therefore, min/maxing is really the most important thing I can do to keep the low numbers strong enough to deal with things while inexpensive enough to allow the things *not* travelling in the phalanx to clean house.

I don't use wave serpents or any other kind of grav-tank variant; they're gross. They might be amazing, but I'm loathe to use them. Also, I find that my Avatar is always sorely outnumbered when he finally enters close combat. Ergo, keeping my banshees prancing playfully around my Avatar allows him the backup he's always needed while adding to the menacing nature of my pseudo-phalanx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongooseo View Post
    Keeping the spears near your Avatar kills the whole point of taking them, speed.
    Shining Spears Retort
    Point conceded. I believe I'll find some way to add two bikes to the squads.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuestenfux View Post
    Take Eldrad, he's the best choice for an Avatar phalanx.
    Eldrad Retort (with farseer power commentary)
    Eldrad is an amazing character; he's arguably the most powerful unit in the 40k game. One problem: Eldrad is expensive - too expensive to perform the job that I need a Farseer to perform: sending squads to their doom in the face of my charging pseudo-phalanx.
    Mind war was honestly something I threw onto the farseer because it seemed like a great idea. The power really pisses off your opponents. However, I can see the point of taking fortune instead to add to the survivability of my Avatar.

Final Thoughts
    Thanks for the advice; this will give me plenty to work with for a new list. I suppose I'll post a re-tooled list fairly soon.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem, man. I see what you're going for, now. I like it.

Still, those reapers bug me >_<;
    But you do have a good idea, 2 BS5 missile shots at armour...

I would replace that EML on your w.lord with a bright lance, since if they have armour 14, you're going to need 6's to glance... however, if they're 12+, you always need 4s to glance, 5+ to pen.
    Last edited by Kahou; October 1st, 2007 at 03:17.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Farseer (doom, spirit stones, fortune) 130
    10 StormGuardians+1Flamer with EnhanceWarlock+Spear 129
    10 StormGuardians+1Flamer with EnhanceWarlock+Spear 129
    4 Shining Spears with StarlanceExarch+Withdraw 192
    4 Shining Spears with StarlanceExarch+Withdraw 192
    5 Swooping Hawks with SunrifleExarch+Skyleap 152
    3 Dark Reapers with E.M.L.Exarch+Fast Shot 147
    1 WraithLord with E.M.L. and Brightlance 155
    3 WarWalkers with Starcannons/Scatterlasers 210
    5 Howling Banshees with ExecutionerExarch+Acrobatic/WarShout 112
    5 Striking Scorpions with ScorpionClawExarch+Shadowstrike 127

I've minimized the aspects to put a 4th biker in each spear squad and traded a starcannon from each Warwalker to place a brightlance on my Wraithlord.
    Last edited by Yemeth; October 7th, 2007 at 21:00.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I'm popping back in to add some more thoughts.
    1. Min/Maxing is generally not a good idea, even with an avatar phalanx. They're not nearly as effective, especially in the case of CC units such as scorpions or banshees.
    2. Shining Spears: I still don't think that they're doing anything for you. The war walkers are better at wasting monstrous creatures, and the dark reapers are better at wasting MEQs.
    3. Don't mix weapons on war walkers. It's never as effective, and unlike on a WL, it doesn't make them T-L.

+ Reply to Thread