[500] Eldar Army -Trying out a new Race- - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    With Oden On Our Side... The Doctor's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

[500] Eldar Army -Trying out a new Race-

Heh, it's been almost a year since I logged on (Last Visit: Oct, 24th 2006...)
    Anyway, I got away from the hobby for a while (took up some others). Now I'm getting back into it and am trying out some new armies. I've narrowed it to either Eldar or Chaos (kinda funny...), as I want something that can deal damage in combat, but I don't want to do a horde army right now (not enough time to paint/model everything).

So here's my start at an Eldar army.

HQ
    Autarch - 112
    w/ Swooping Hawk Wings, Mandiblasters, Power Weapon, Avenger Shuriken Catapult

Troops - 290
    Dire Avengers - 145
    8 Avengers, Exarch (w/ Diresword and Pistol. Bladestorm power)

Dire Avengers - 145
    8 Avengers, Exarch (w/ Diresword and Pistol. Bladestorm power)

Fast Attack
    Vyper - 90
    Spirit Stones, Star Engines, and I think I'll use a Missile Launcher on it.

Totals. Points - 492 Models - 19 Vehicles - 1

This is just a simple trial army. I use Avengers because they are a little more durable (Can actually survive a Bolter or Pulse Rifle shot), and hit more often. However do to the extra points, 2 Avengers equals 3 Guardians, and in a small army like this, the extra bodies could help. However, I'm still going with Avengers on this, because of the advantages of range, stats, and armor.

I originally had a Farseer (that was 145 points I believe. Mind War and something else). I took him out, since in a small battle like this I don't expect to come across a big, pain in the butt to kill character that would need a good mind warring. The Autarchs speed (with wings) and Melee ability (4 power attacks on the charge, high WS, good save) give him the advantage in my book.

The Vyper is of course the support unit. It'll fly around, shooting at the toughest thing it can find. That is why I am leaning toward the Missile Launcher. Krak shots on any transport I may face (or Skimmer/heavily armored character), and the Fragmentation should the enemy be fielding a lot of troops (IG, Nids, Orks, Guardian Eldar, Fire Warriors).

As this is the first serious Eldar list I have ever made (Serious = I actually bought the models for it), I don't know if I am missing any key elements to this. Looking at it though, it seems to me that Eldar are much better in high point games, so they can field enough Wave Serpents to move the lightly armored troops across the field. Any useful suggestions and/or tactics will be entertained, but I'd rather not have to go buy new stuff. This is a trial to see if I like how Eldar play, not a full dive into a new army.

Take two and call me in the morning,
    The Doctor.

Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

Blood for the Blood God! Beer for the Bronze Keg!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like a solid list. I'm sure you considered a Farseer with guide or doom to help out with those bladestorms.

Other than that -- my only worry would be close-combat. The avengers have 18-inch range, yes, but your only competent cc unit is the Autarch.

Have you considered the Pw/shimmershield route for the Exarchs? If you're going to be concentrating the DAs entirely on ranged massacring, have you considered the double shuriken catapult option to up the number of shots some more?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

I did consider double SC's on the Exarch, but my feeling was that I need someone besides the Autarch that can make a decent showing in Melee. Sure not the best, but at least he'll have saves.

I may go the route of PW/Shield for survivability's sake, but that will be after I've played a little with the current set-up. The way it is now, I can still have the Exarch throw some shots before they attack. My plan with Bladestorm is to run/FoF up until I'm within 18", then start shooting, using Bladestorm right before I charge in to Melee. I figure at least two rounds of shooting (1 if I'm playing Nids ) should thin the numbers down enough to make Melee combat a reasonable option. May actually keep the Autarch out of Combat until I can see where he's needed (In which case I may remove his wings and add points elsewhere...1 more DA per squad maybe).

I have a Farseer model (Warlock that I did some minor conversions on), so I may give both Doom and Guide a try. Gonna head by the store tomorrow and hang out for a while, see if I can get some small games going. Maybe even proxy some other armies (Proxy!;?) to give everything a fair shot.
    Half Gods are worshiped with Wine and Flowers. Real Gods are worshiped in Blood.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Hm, not a bad list at all. As was said, you're lacking a bit in CC ability, but you should have the speed and firepower to (hopefully) stop too many from hitting combat with you. My only other big concern is your anti-tank firepower. Sure, it's only 500 points, but as a Tau player (and you know how I like to play Tau, when I do) you should know that there will be armies with 2+ transports, and a single Missile Launcher hitting half the time just won't cut it. So, I'd suggest maybe dropping the Mandiblasters and the Catapult on the Autarch and grabbing a Fusion Blaster, so he can hit in CC as well as in the shooting phase, should you need him.

Not too much you can do in 500 points, like you said, so I'd suggest even ditching the 500 point army idea and doing a 500 point Combat Patrol. More for your points.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x3)

Well I'm not familiar with the Combat Patrol rules.

I'm thinking of moving this up to a 1000 point army (same with the Chaos army), as 500 points isn't nearly enough to do any army right. Except maybe Tau...

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Well I'm not familiar with the Combat Patrol rules.

I'm thinking of moving this up to a 1000 point army (same with the Chaos army), as 500 points isn't nearly enough to do any army right. Except maybe Tau...
    They're really easy. I'll let you borrow my rulebook whenever I end up seeing you.

+ Reply to Thread