Mech List 2330 and growing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member zabien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    Mech List 2330 and growing

    OK so here is my first list with a codex. The list will grow to about 3500 so I can be the same size as my currant Gard army. I wanted to do a Mech list, but I have a few static elements, like the XV88's those I want because I just like them and have a few conversation ideas for, also the Pathfinders will be another static element as they will be left some were to light targets and there Devil Fish will be used as a War Fish tank. I also have the Piranha's because I simply want them and I think they could do well with some practice. Any help would be nice and of course reped, and any questions just ask and I will give my reasoning for. Also my math is pretty bad so I may not have the point exact.

    Tau list = 2330

    HQ

    Shas’El
    Helio Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multitracker.

    Elites

    X2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
    Death Rain Twinlinked Missile Pod, Target Lock, Shield Generator.

    X2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
    Fire Knife Plasma rifle, Missile Pod, Multitracker.

    X6 XV15 Stealth Battlesuits
    Bonding Knife

    Troops

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    Fast Attack

    Pathfinders
    Devil Fish
    Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multitracker, Decoys, Flechette Discharger

    X2 Piranha
    Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array

    X8 Gun Drone Squadron

    Heavy Weapons

    Hammerhead
    Rail Gun, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock, Decoy Launchers

    Hammerhead
    Rail Gun, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock, Decoy Launchers

    X3 Broadside
    A.S.S, Team Leader, Hard Wired Target Lock

    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Senior Member Deek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Beecher Illinois
    Age
    28
    Posts
    975
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

    Looks solid to me, the stealths can block other infiltrators, you have plenty of anti tank, and my favorite part about the tau army is the warriors in the devilfish.

    My only critique is the gun drone squad, I would rather see seeker missles on your transports or your hammerheads that way your pathfinders are a serious threat to units like terminators, battlesuits, obliterators, mega armoured nobs, and the like not to mention weak armoured vehicals.

  4. #3
    Senior Member zabien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    Well I was thinking of putting Seekers on the Hammerheads, but I didn't think they would be that useful on the Devil fish's because they are going to be seeing a lot more front line action. What is your critique on the Drones? I planed on using them as a shield for my HQ, and I have points to throw around about another 1000 if I am going to have this army match my Guard.

    Pulse I don't have most of these models I only have the Battle force right now. This list doubles as my shopping list.
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

  5. #4
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Well I was thinking of putting Seekers on the Hammerheads, but I didn't think they would be that useful on the Devil fish's because they are going to be seeing a lot more front line action. What is your critique on the Drones? I planed on using them as a shield for my HQ, and I have points to throw around about another 1000 if I am going to have this army match my Guard.

    Pulse I don't have most of these models I only have the Battle force right now. This list doubles as my shopping list.
    I would go for the Drone squad. I use the circular Drone formation HQ shield technique and it works amazingly well (if you need further info just let em know). The Drones and Shas make a formidable anti transport team. The Shas kills the transport and the Drones hit the passengers.

    The survivability of the Shas is really enhanced by the Drones and the fact that the Drones are a separate unit means they are able to do thier own thing if needed. I never make a list without including at least one squadron of Drones.

    The Seekers are fine but I would much rather use the Drone squad. Problem with Seekers on transports is the seekers are lost if the vehicle goes down (which you alluded to in your post). If you want seekers take a Skyray and get the mobile Marker lights as well.

    So I owuld advise the Drone squadron and a Skyray.
    1984

  6. #5
    The deep down truth Rikimaru's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    York
    Age
    51
    Posts
    5,714
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    OK so here is my first list with a codex. The list will grow to about 3500 so I can be the same size as my currant Gard army. I wanted to do a Mech list, but I have a few static elements, like the XV88's those I want because I just like them and have a few conversation ideas for, also the Pathfinders will be another static element as they will be left some were to light targets and there Devil Fish will be used as a War Fish tank. I also have the Piranha's because I simply want them and I think they could do well with some practice. Any help would be nice and of course reped, and any questions just ask and I will give my reasoning for. Also my math is pretty bad so I may not have the point exact.

    Tau list = 2330

    HQ

    Shas’El
    Helio Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multitracker.
    Why do you only have one HQ? I always take and recommend taking two. Quite simply the HQ is one of the best resources we have; great standard stats and IC status.
    I would recommend you take a Shas'O and use him with your XV88 squad. Both I and Israfel have recently started using this combined unit and I find it very potent.
    I have added a link to my article on it here for you --> http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ad.php?t=98729 (Rikimaru supporting XV88's, no its not a wind up)
    If you do not like this idea then I would advise another Helios (as above) and use them as armour, transport killers.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Elites

    X2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
    Death Rain Twinlinked Missile Pod, Target Lock, Shield Generator.
    Shield gens are a waste of time on these suits. You should always have these at maximum range and be Jump shoot jumping with them from behind cover.
    You should also give these Targeting arrays, others advise against it and my response to this is "Think about that next time that Rhino gets to your lines and the Chaplain is rampaging through your lines because your standard Deathrain missed the Rhino".
    You should be ensuring every single missile gets the best chance to hit.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    X2 XV8 Crisis Battlesuits
    Fire Knife Plasma rifle, Missile Pod, Multitracker.
    I really do not rate Fire knives in elites slots. BS3 just does not cut it in my book. Now personally I would take another team of two Deathrains with TA's as detailed above.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    X6 XV15 Stealth Battlesuits
    Bonding Knife
    Lose the bonding knife, if you play these sensibly using the JSJ, stealth field, cover and the weapons max range then you should not need bonding.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Troops

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger

    X12 Fire Warriors
    Bonding Knife
    Devil Fish
    Decoy Launchers, Flechette Discharger
    That is a lot of Fire Warriors, now I do not know if you have all the models but I would advise losing at least one unit and DF and taking two units of 10 Kroot with 8 Hounds.
    These will offer you a lot more tactical flexibility with infiltrate and also offer some very effective anti assault.

    I actually think that Kroot are a much superior troop choice to Fire Warriors anyway but if you have the points then a good balance is three units of FW in DF and 3 Kroot units.
    If you keep the Fire Warriors then I would advise taking two units of Kroot when you expand the list rather than anymore Fire Warriors.

    Also you really can do without the bonding, it is only really of any use on smaller static FW units. If you FOF correctly you should be fine without it.
    Flechettes are also a waste of time, basically because assaulting the Devilfish is simply not going to happen enough to warrant their inclusion. You have 40pts invested in them that you could spend on more useful areas.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Fast Attack

    Pathfinders
    Devil Fish
    Smart Missile System, Targeting Array, Multitracker, Decoys, Flechette Discharger
    Take some of the 40pts saved from the Flechettes and pay for a Shas'Ui upgrade and target lock, this will allow the PF unit to target two separate units a turn.
    again seriously consider if the Flechettes are needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    X2 Piranha
    Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array
    I am not a fan of these but if I were you I would take another unit of these when you get the chance. I find Piranhas are much better when they have multiple units. I am sure Israfel will agree with this and he is much better at advising on their use than I.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    X8 Gun Drone Squadron
    Use these as I advised in the earlier post.

    Quote Originally Posted by zabien View Post
    Heavy Weapons

    Hammerhead
    Rail Gun, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock, Decoy Launchers

    Hammerhead
    Rail Gun, Multi-Tracker, Target Lock, Decoy Launchers

    X3 Broadside
    A.S.S, Team Leader, Hard Wired Target Lock
    These seem fine.
    I would read the XV88 link I posted and consider the XV88/Shas'O unit combination.

    One thing I will say is that for such a large list you have very little marker light content. I would consider losing a Hammerhead and taking a Skyray.
    The Skyray offers mobile ML's and some punch with its Seekers. If you do not want to take a Skyray then the only other way I would consider id to lose a FW squad and a DF and take two 6 man FW squads with Shas'Ui with Marker light and Target lock. I am not a fan of these but they would offer you some more ML coverage (just make sure you get them in cover).

    However if you are playing games at a high point level with two FOC's then I would consider taking a Skyray in addition to the heavy support you already have.

    In fact let us know if you are using two or more FOC's because choices are restricted at high point’s levels when using one FOC.
    1984

  7. #6
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

    Definitely agree about the lack of Markerlight sources in the list. These are the life blood of a Tau army's ability to hit its target, although of course they do offer other benefits as well. The obvious option, as Riki said, is to include a Skyray to act as Target Designator for the Hammerheads. I would also be inclined towards a second Pathfinder unit instead of one of the Fire Warrior teams, especially if you are aiming towards a 3500pt list.

    I would also like to suggest that the Devilfish for the Fire Warriors be given Multitrackers. Flechettes are not really a vital upgrade to take unless you are playing against certain armies who are obliged to assault the closest enemy unit, or certain scenarios like "Hold at all costs" where you might be using a Skimmer Wall. The opponent's army will have to assault the vehicles, so FDs are useful then. Multitrackers on the other hand do have a useful benefit at all times, especially if you are using SMS as your secondary weapons system.

    Your Hammerheads don't appear to have a secondary weapon system, although what I'm sure has happened here is that you've left them out of your post!

    Hope some of this was helpful.

    E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

  8. #7
    Senior Member zabien's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    390
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

    Thank you again Rikimaru.
    To answer some of your questions

    I only have one HQ Because I used the FOC from the Codex as a skeleton and did not think about adding another HQ until I looked through some of the other lists here.

    I do see your point about the Shield Gen on the Death Rains, but I may keep them on until I gain a little bit more experience with JSJ. I like the Fire Knifes, and sense you mentioned them what if I make the Multi hard wired and then give them a Targeting Array?

    I think I bonded the XV 15’s just to add more points, but what do you think about adding a few drones? I was thinking of gun drones, but as you mention I do have a lack of marker lights.

    I have so many Tau and no Kroot for a simple reason I don’t like the models. They look like parakeets with human bodies. They do look like a good unit and if I could find a nice conversion and fluff I might use them. As for the Flechettes I see my most common opponent after I do a good FOF saying “kill the tank before or when he dose that again”

    Hum why did I not see the Target Lock for those guys?

    The Piranha is an experiment and I wanted to paint one or two so it may be traded for another Pathfinder squad.

    I got one Hammer head from my Mega Force and I will buy a Skyray so I can try it out and switch back if I want.

    As I said I used a single FOC chart for this but I see I may need another to get to the points I’m looking at, or I may just use one more of every choice. One more HQ, one more Elite, one or two more Troops one Fast, and one Heavy.

    Eiglepulper you are right I simply forgot about the second systems on the Hammer Heads. I plan on using the Burst cannons
    If you do things right people wont be sure if you have done anything at all.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts