1500 pt. Eldar. New player, casual. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 pt. Eldar. New player, casual.

Hello all. I decided to get into Eldar a little bit ago and have finally played in a small (500 pt) game. I'm looking to set up an army that is mobile, aggressive, and able to handle a variety of opponents, though I will mostly be going up against my friend's Tau. I'm also trying to find a list that will grow well, as I currently have about 600 points worth of units right now, and I won't be getting everything all at once. As I'm still just learning the rules I greatly appreciate input and comments.

With that, here is the list!

HQ: Autarch with warp jump, death spinner, mandiblasters, power weapon. 120 points. He's going to be attached to a unit of warp spiders. I figure he will be a good addition to really make this unit shine and will provide some CC should I want or need to be in an assault with the unit.

Troops:

Dire Avengers. 9 and 1 exarch with 2x avenger catapults and blade storm, in a waveserpent. 252 points. The serpent would have TL shuriken catapults and cannons. I'm not sure how much I really want to sink into the serpent, this unit seems pretty costly. But the idea is that they can motor along to support attacking units.

Pathfinders. 5 for 120 pts. Plop these guys in cover and let them go. They did well in my one game until my opponent got behind them.

Fast attack:

Warp Spiders: 6 + exarch with double spinners and withdraw. 186 points.

Vyper Squad: 3 with double shuriken cannons. 220 pts.

Elites:

Striking Scorpions: 9 +1 exarch with scorpion claw. 187 points. Infiltration will get them up the board and able to support the Spiders.

Fire Dragons: 5 +1 exarch with firepike. I figure I should mount these guys in a falcon, which will have: holofield, spirit stone, starcannon, and TL shuriken. Falcon cost would be 195 points, so 311 points for the whole shebang.

That all puts me at about 1400 points, and gives me what I think is a powerful and mobile force. I still have 100 points to play with, though, and I'm not sure what would be good for that besides maybe more spiders or extra gear for existing units.

Is this army going to do what I am trying to do or am I totally off-track? Thanks for giving it a once-over!

Last edited by Dichotomouse; October 26th, 2007 at 01:49. Reason: math and typos!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

ok not overly impressed - sorry, but the whole thing seems to be working in parts, this is fine for most armies, but for eldar it is vital that the army co-ordinates (and we are not talking all wearing paisley armour)

Real major issues:

1. Autarch doesnt really give much close combat punch to spiders, hos lack of str is a fundamental flaw with the character

2. Spread your vypers out, they can be damaged by bolter fire, having them all in one unit is fatal, use all available FA slots and smaller units

3. I really dont like dragons in falcons, but if you must do it, the exarch is superflous
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to disagree with you on the first issue I know this sounds stupid but i think the autarch works well with warpies, him and the exarch will have 10 power attacks on the charge hitting on 3's (shouldnt be attacking genestealers and the like anyway). add this to what the warpies kill and the shooting, it makes it a deadly unit. just that the unit is too small, bump it up to 10 and it's quite good IMO.
    Otherwise what Cheredanine said, and seriously rangers have no place in your list.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

it is the Str, it is a killer mate, do the maths hammer, 10 attacks equates to 6.6666 hits, but that equates to 2 dead MEQs, the response from something like a vet sgt with power fist will take out the autarch, (the other issue is that the autarch will not kill everyone in base to base with him, this is a problem for ICs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, then what could I do to improve on this idea? Thanks for the input so far. Here is some of my thought process, along with responses.

The Autarch I picked mostly because I want an HQ that can be in a forward position as my basic idea is to attack quickly and in spots on the board where I choose, using the overall mobility of the army to maneuver. The only unit I plan on being immobile and hanging out where they are deployed is the pathfinders. But I'm not in love with the Autarch if there is something better to do.

The pathfinders are intended to pin down enemy units in spots where I want them. They are totally immobile which appears to go against the rest of the army, but in my head that is what they will accomplish. Better to scrap that and go with another unit of DA's in a Wave Serpent?

Dragons in the Falcon is mostly because I feel anything not infiltrating or jumping needs to be mobile, and the falcon seems like a strong choice that I can put some more heavy weapons on - the exarch is only there because I like squads with exarchs =) But it'd be better for them in a serpent? I really don't like the idea of them walking (especially against Tau, which I will be fighting a lot). And if they're in a serpent, would I increase the squad size or not? That might also leave me lacking some firepower. It also feels like this might be my "attack here first" unit as it is set up currently, which would be both good and bad.

Vypers: I wasn't sure but was guessing after I put them down that they should be split up, that's easily done.

I'm not too clear on how it appears the army is working in parts, as everything is designed to move quickly and deliver fire (and bodies) to pretty much any position on the board as I see fit. I mean, I believe it when you say so, but I can't see why that is.

Thanks for your input!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Dichotomouse View Post
    Hmm, then what could I do to improve on this idea? Thanks for the input so far. Here is some of my thought process, along with responses.
    ok lets see what we can do,first off it is best generally to decide a style of play for the army, you do mention that in the next para, so onwards..
    The Autarch I picked mostly because I want an HQ that can be in a forward position
    The average autarch is neither a survivor nor a killer, the only option that really has a lethal edge is a jetbike autarch, with a laser lance, and a squad of shining spears with a fully overloades exarch, this is lethal but very expensive, otherwise an "in your face HQ is really a pheonix lord
    as my basic idea is to attack quickly and in spots on the board where I choose, using the overall mobility of the army to maneuver. The only unit I plan on being immobile and hanging out where they are deployed is the pathfinders. But I'm not in love with the Autarch if there is something better to do.
    will deal with pathfinders below, however, as a general concept you are talking about a mobile army, for eldar that means on of two themes:
    1. Mechanised army - loads of serpents and tanks, these tend to be rather short on models as our transports are expensive, you will also need a basic run down on upgrades for tanks/transports:
    (give all Spirit stones, give tanks holo fields, give anything that will transport an assault unit- as opposd to a shooting unit - vectored engines) - I am sure someone will put up an objection to that, there are exceptions, but that is the basics.
    2. Bike/vyper/walker army - a la Siam Hann, my home ground, I have a tactica in the finished tactica forum if this is the route you want to take

The pathfinders are intended to pin down enemy units in spots where I want them. They are totally immobile which appears to go against the rest of the army, but in my head that is what they will accomplish. Better to scrap that and go with another unit of DA's in a Wave Serpent?
    There are those that like pathfinders, and they certainly have their uses, if you encounter something that relies on toughness and wound to survive, like a TMC or greater demon, then these are your chaps, but I wouldnt venture more than 1 squad and tobe honest I prefer DA in a serpent, although that is hardly a straight swap on points.
    Re pinning, it is all but useless in games turns, lethal units you desperatley want to pin tend to be either immune or have such high Ld they ignore it, the only units you can pin with any degree of consistency tend to be cheap and present in such nunbers that pinning one is a waste of time
    Dragons in the Falcon is mostly because I feel anything not infiltrating or jumping needs to be mobile, and the falcon seems like a strong choice that I can put some more heavy weapons on - the exarch is only there because I like squads with exarchs =) But it'd be better for them in a serpent? I really don't like the idea of them walking (especially against Tau, which I will be fighting a lot). And if they're in a serpent, would I increase the squad size or not? That might also leave me lacking some firepower. It also feels like this might be my "attack here first" unit as it is set up currently, which would be both good and bad.
    IMHO you are asking the question the wrong way - why take dragons? in a small squad they cna possibly, if your opponent lets you get close, take down a tank, but the falcon can do that anyway
    Vypers: I wasn't sure but was guessing after I put them down that they should be split up, that's easily done.

I'm not too clear on how it appears the army is working in parts, as everything is designed to move quickly and deliver fire (and bodies) to pretty much any position on the board as I see fit. I mean, I believe it when you say so, but I can't see why that is.

Thanks for your input![/QUOTE]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    it is the Str, it is a killer mate, do the maths hammer, 10 attacks equates to 6.6666 hits, but that equates to 2 dead MEQs, the response from something like a vet sgt with power fist will take out the autarch, (the other issue is that the autarch will not kill everyone in base to base with him, this is a problem for ICs
    The thing is chered take in what warpies kill with their shooting and add in what the autarch kills in cc that's 6-7 dead marines, i wont take this autarch as it's not great value but im just saying he's not completely useless.
    Anyway chered just stole my thunder, listen to him and you wont go in the wrong direction.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks guys, definitely a lot to think about. I'll have to ruminate and set up another list in a bit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, here is a modified take. I'm still trying to go with a mobile aggressive army, ditching the autarch and the pathfinders, and going with a more armored approach.

HQ: Farseer, jetbike, singing spear, guide, doom, spirit stones. 153 pts. He'll ride along with waveserpents full of Dire Avengers, but be able to avoid being mounted IN a transport so he can keep using his powers. Pretty expensive for a single model, so perhaps limit him to just guide or doom and drop the stones?

Troops: Two units of the following: Dire Avengers. 9+1 exarch, 2x catapults, bladestorm, mounted in a waveserpent with TL shuriken cannon, shuriken cannon, spirit stones. 272 points each. Seems fairly straightforward.

Heavy Support: Fire prism with shuriken cannon, holofield, stones. 170 pts.

Fast Attack: Warp Spiders: 9+1 exarch, 2x spinner, withdraw. 252. I upped these to the max squad size.

Elite: Striking Scorpions: 9+1 exarch, scorpion claw. 188 pts.

That's about 1300 points, so 200 points to play with still. Seems like another prism would be a good idea.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop the stones? Hope you didnt get that idea from white dwarf. Imagine that your brain is a big pile of sand, and the editors of white dwarf have shovels, everytime you read white dwarf they take a bit of sand away from the pile. get the idea?
    Give your scorps shadowstrike and stalker, with the 200 pts i'd add BL's for all of your DA squads and a naked prism, hide the naked one and join beams. works well.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

+ Reply to Thread