[1500] Wind Raiders & Aspect Assault Wave - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    111 (x3)

[1500] Wind Raiders & Aspect Assault Wave

I'm an old Chaos player and I've been playing Warhammer 40k for a couple of years now but always with Chaos. Now the new Chaos codex renewed things a little for me those days, but still I'm thinking about starting a second army and since Eldars always called on me I want to try to put up a list that hold itself.

I was browsing through the box set of apocalypse and suddenly I realised that a combinaison of an Eldar Aspect Assault Wave box and of an Eldar Wind Rider Host box would make a really fast Eldar army, well balanced and efficient.

I've put up this list with everything that's in those 2 box and it gave me quite a nice list. I'm aiming for a 1500 pts army list who combine fire power and speed. If you could comment on it then I can make myself an idea if it's a good buy or not because for 430$ I can have an army that's playable right away and they come in two handy boxes...

So here it goes.

HQ: Autarch (80 Pts)
    Forceshield; Power Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Haywire Grenades; Plasma Grenades

HQ: Autarch (123 Pts)
    Banshee Mask; Forceshield
    Eldar Jetbike (EJ; Laser Lance; Shuriken Pistol; TL Shuriken Catapult; Haywire Grenades; Plasma Grenades

Elite: Fire Dragons (271 Pts)
    5 Fire Dragons w/ Fusion Gun (Fg); Melta Bombs
    1 Fire Dragon Exarch w/ Crack Shot; Firepike; Melta Bombs
    Wave Serpent w/ Bright Lance; TL Starcannon; Star Engines

Troops: Dire Avengers (297 Pts)
    9 Dire Avengers w/ Avenger S-Catapult (ASC); Dire Avenger Exarch w/ Power Weapon; Shimmershield

9 Dire Avengers w/ Avenger S-Catapult (ASC); Dire Avenger Exarch w/ Power Weapon; Shimmershield

Troops: Guardian Jetbike Squadron (76 Pts)
    3 Guardian Jetbike Squadron
    Shuriken Cannon (x1); TL Shuriken Catapult (x2)

Fast Attack: Vyper Squadron (160 Pts)
    2 Vyper w/ Bright Lance; Shuriken Cannon

Total Roster Cost: 1486

I believe this list would be really fun to play, I always loved Jet Bikes and Vypers and to have an army who can move 24" in the first turn have a lot of appeal to me. Am I missing on anything that makes Eldar a lot more powerful than what I'm used to face? I know this list have no special character and I might replace the Autarch with a Farseer and also that I'm missing on the all powerful Wraithlord but I'm not sure I will miss it with an army who's that fast.

I also realise I have no Heavy Support choices, will it make my life miserable? I still have a lot of special weapons, 5 Bright Lances, 2 TL Star Cannons and 2 Shuriken Cannons, also the Fire Dragons are a force to recon with. If I extend this list to 2000 pts I think I will take 3 Heavy Support in the form or 3 Fire Prism.

Heavy Support: Fire Prism (170 Pts)
    Spirit Stone; Star Engines; Vectored Engines; Shuriken Cannon; Prism Cannon

Total Roster Cost: 1996

Thanks for any comment you might make.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

I think the basic list looks pretty decent, and like it could be a lot of fun to play. There are a few small issues with it but the core seems reasonable.
    • First off, the Wave Serpents can't have Bright Lances and TL Starcannons so you'll have to decide between one or the other (on the plus side, if you go with the Bright Lances they are twin linked). For the role you have for them, I would either keep the Bright Lances or go with something cheaper (like TL Shurican Cannons and upgrade the underslung catapults to a Cannon as well).
    • I would definitely replace one (or both) of the Autarch's with a Farseer. Most of your list is shooting oriented, so the Autarchs would largely be on their own. The jetbike mounted Autarch could be fairly useful if he had a unit to join (maybe invest in a box of Shinning Spears as well?), but otherwise they're not likely to accomplish much. You likely have enough bits between the two boxes to convert one or both Autarchs into Farseers, if you didn't want to buy anything new.
    • Your fire dragons really don't need the Exarch, they'll be deadly enough with just 6.
    • All three Wave Serpents should also have vectored engines to help protect the units they're transporting.
    • Personally, I feel DAs do better when they're shooting focused (paticularly when transported). While the Shimmershield will help them survive combat they're not all the likely to ever end up winning. If you insist on keeping the CC focus (instead of getting them Bladestorm and trying to avoid combat) I again recommend the unit of Shinning Spears with the Autarch, as they should be able to charge in and swing the tide.
    • For the jetbikes, remember that those units are only three strong and have a fairly low Leadership; chances are they're going to run pretty quick. I also came to Eldar from Chaos (and it's wonderful Fearless troops) and am still getting used to worrying about Morale. I would recommend combining two of the jetbike squads, and dropping the 3rd in favour of some Shinning Spears. In fact, you could probably convert the extra jetbikes into shinning spears and again avoid getting that additional boxed set.
    • Vypers can go down bolter fire and aren't likely to last long. They should be split into two squads of one each, as doing so will help protect them and give you greater versatility. Additionally, if you keep the Bright Lances on them (probably a good idea if go with something else on the Wave Serpents) drop the underslung Shurican Cannon ?(unless you have points to burn) as you'll be wanting the Vypers to stay out of the Cannon's range. If instead you decide to keep the Bright Lances on the WaveSerpents, I'd probably recommend putting dual Shurican Cannons on the Vypers, at 60 points they're dead cheap for 6 high strength shots and if you're opponent is shooting at them they're not shooting at your transports.

Hope that's somewhat clear and helps. I'm fairly new to Eldar myself so you may want to wait and hear from some more experienced players as well. I also recommend LordLink's mechanised Eldar guide (Eldar - The Mechanised Guide) as a good source of information.
    -destp
    Thousand Sons ~2750 points | Eldar ~1000 points
    Tzeentch Daemons ~2000 points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thyr View Post
    I'm an old Chaos player and I've been playing Warhammer 40k for a couple of years now but always with Chaos. Now the new Chaos codex renewed things a little for me those days, but still I'm thinking about starting a second army and since Eldars always called on me I want to try to put up a list that hold itself.

I was browsing through the box set of apocalypse and suddenly I realised that a combinaison of an Eldar Aspect Assault Wave box and of an Eldar Wind Rider Host box would make a really fast Eldar army, well balanced and efficient.

I've put up this list with everything that's in those 2 box and it gave me quite a nice list. I'm aiming for a 1500 pts army list who combine fire power and speed. If you could comment on it then I can make myself an idea if it's a good buy or not because for 430$ I can have an army that's playable right away and they come in two handy boxes...

So here it goes.
    Destp was right on quite a few points:
    HQ: Autarch (80 Pts)
    Forceshield; Power Weapon; Shuriken Pistol; Haywire Grenades; Plasma Grenades
    pretty pointless, would drop
    HQ: Autarch (123 Pts)
    Banshee Mask; Forceshield
    Eldar Jetbike (EJ; Laser Lance; Shuriken Pistol; TL Shuriken Catapult; Haywire Grenades; Plasma Grenades
    give him either a banshee mask or mandiblasters, to use him you also need a squad of shining spears, otherwise he has one moment of glory and then it all goes pear shaped
    Elite: Fire Dragons (271 Pts)
    5 Fire Dragons w/ Fusion Gun (Fg); Melta Bombs
    1 Fire Dragon Exarch w/ Crack Shot; Firepike; Melta Bombs
    loose the exarch, sort out the serpents weapons, give it spirit stones, the star engines are rather a waste
    for mech DA give the exarch 2xASC, and blade storm is a must
    Sort out the serpetns guns, give it spirit stones and the Star engines are a bit of a waste
    As above

combine all three to one squad
    [quote]
    Fast Attack: Vyper Squadron (160 Pts)
    2 Vyper w/ Bright Lance; Shuriken Cannon
    [quote]
    never put 1 shot weapons on cypers, they are a waste, you need to get spears to suit your autarch, but that still leaves you 2 FA slots, split the 2 vypers from your boxed set into 2 squads and give them 2x shuriken cannons
    Total Roster Cost: 1486

I believe this list would be really fun to play, I always loved Jet Bikes and Vypers and to have an army who can move 24" in the first turn have a lot of appeal to me. Am I missing on anything that makes Eldar a lot more powerful than what I'm used to face? I know this list have no special character and I might replace the Autarch with a Farseer and also that I'm missing on the all powerful Wraithlord but I'm not sure I will miss it with an army who's that fast.

I also realise I have no Heavy Support choices, will it make my life miserable? I still have a lot of special weapons, 5 Bright Lances, 2 TL Star Cannons and 2 Shuriken Cannons, also the Fire Dragons are a force to recon with. If I extend this list to 2000 pts I think I will take 3 Heavy Support in the form or 3 Fire Prism.

Total Roster Cost: 1996

Thanks for any comment you might make.
    you dont need HS if you use your serpents as Anti tank, TL BL would be the way to go
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just as a note give your prisms inthe 2000pt list holo fields it's expensive but it's a 1/36 chance of bringing it down in one shot.
    i wasted my whole life on warhammer so it's a good thing i have 2 wounds and a 2+invul
    Tau
    W12/T1/L0
    eldar
    W10/T0/L15

+ Reply to Thread