2000 pts of Eldar for Tournament and casual play. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 pts of Eldar for Tournament and casual play.

Trying to get back into the game, and will be playing some casual games but the majority will be tournament atmosphere. I havn't used the 4th edition rules so I am not sure how well these models will work in tandem, just theory.

More details about how I'm planning on using these units, and which units I am concerned about are at the bottom of the post.

HQ – 210
    Eldrad - 210

Troops - 516
    6 Jetbikes, 2 shuriken, warlock w/ conceal – 192
    6 Jetbikes, 2 shuriken, warlock w/ conceal - 192
    3 Jetbikes – 66
    3 Jetbikes – 66

Elites - 557
    10 Harlequins- Troupe Master, Shadowseer, 5 Harlequin Kisses – 250
    10 Fire Dragons- Exarch w/ Dragons Breath, Waveserpent w/ Scatterlasers– 297

Fast Attack - 262
    10 Warp Spiders- Exarch w/ withdraw, powerblades, additional death spinnner- 262

Heavy Support - 465
    3 Wraithlords – EML, BL

Total: 2000
    Models: 53

Strategy:
    *Eldrad and the 3 Wraithlords head up the middle. Wraithlords take out tanks and heavy armor. Eldrad casts guide on 2 wraithlords. If close enough will cast fortune on Harlequins, otherwise will cast an offensive ability.

*Fire Dragons and Warp Spiders work in tandem on the left flank. After dismount, both squads fire at the same or nearby squads. Warp Spiders swoop in to finish off the rest in cc, or make a warp jump to better protect the Dragons from an enemy assault the following turn. Can be used against a variety of different units.

*Jetbikes and Harlequins work in tandem on the right flank. Jetbikes lay down cover fire for the Harlequins against squads or light armor that could be a threat. The jetbikes could also be used to assault a unit in the Harlequins path to prevent the Harlequins from being assaulted in the next turn. If possible, have at least one harlequin close to Eldrad to benefit from Fortune.

Some units I'm worried about:
    The Harlequins... love the fluff and the models but I'm thinking they might be too fragile, and better replaced with an additional warp spider or fire dragon squad. Or something else. Input appreciated.

3 Wraithlords... Is 3 overkill? Are they the cheese machines they were in 3rd edition or have they been toned down so that taking 3 is not effective?

Does Eldrad fit into this list?

Should I break the Warp Spiders up into 2 groups of 5 to give added versatility?

Kind of off-topic: Would a large unit of 10 Wraithguard have a place in this list? Draw attention and march up the middle with Eldrad and Wraithlords.

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to give your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you can see by my stats, I don't have a lot of posts here... so take my comments as you will.

Fire dragons: awesome killers of all that is armor or big, but I hesitate to take 10... I know there are many who don't like 6 in a falcon, but it seems like 6 in a falcon may be preferable to 10 in a serpent. With the rest of your army as it is, you seem to have quite a bit of anti tank as well, so missing 4 dragons hopefully won't make that big of an impact. Depending on what you want to use them for, consider tl BL on the wave serpent.... i don't see that one serpent wipping out a squad that will take out your dragons, but bl's may help w/ the tank hunting. (assuming you keep them at 10)

Wraithlords: Are great all around units, but the rest of your army is very fast, and these may be left in the dust with their only job to provide long range fire. While this may not be a bad thing, there may be more point econimical ways to provide that cover fire or units that better fit with the speed of the rest of the army.

Best of luck!

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nickthewise View Post
    Trying to get back into the game, and will be playing some casual games but the majority will be tournament atmosphere. I havn't used the 4th edition rules so I am not sure how well these models will work in tandem, just theory.

More details about how I'm planning on using these units, and which units I am concerned about are at the bottom of the post.

HQ – 210
    Eldrad - 210

Eldrad to babysit 3 wraithlords is a waste of points, 3 wraithlords arent a good idea and eldrad is even worse. if you must take 3 wraithlords then get a cheap seer or a guardian squad with spiritseer.

Troops - 516
    6 Jetbikes, 2 shuriken, warlock w/ conceal – 192

Warlock needs singing spear, give him embolden instead as they have access to a better invul. They should always be out of LOS so they shouldn't really be shot at.

6 Jetbikes, 2 shuriken, warlock w/ conceal - 192

3 Jetbikes – 66

3 man squads usually have a warlock with singing spear for anti tank, if you're not gonna have it put them both into one squad and give them shruiken cannons.

3 Jetbikes – 66

Elites - 557
    10 Harlequins- Troupe Master, Shadowseer, 5 Harlequin Kisses – 250.

Are you sure about these guys? They're too slow for this list i think.

10 Fire Dragons- Exarch w/ Dragons Breath, Waveserpent w/ Scatterlasers– 297

10 FD's are good and all but the wave serpent is the only tank in your army and your opponent's gonna be like 'eat 10 lascannons and 15 missiles'. Lots of vehicle > Some vehicles <No vehicles

Fast Attack - 262
    10 Warp Spiders- Exarch w/ withdraw, powerblades, additional death spinnner- 262

Heavy Support - 465
    3 Wraithlords – EML, BL

3 Wraithlords are way overkill, maybe one or 2 tops to go with this highly mobile list. I'd switch them out for falcons or prisms. Much more suited to this list.

Total: 2000
    Models: 53

Strategy:
    *Eldrad and the 3 Wraithlords head up the middle. Wraithlords take out tanks and heavy armor. Eldrad casts guide on 2 wraithlords. If close enough will cast fortune on Harlequins, otherwise will cast an offensive ability.

Like i said not a good idea. WL are already BS4 anyway so guide isnt great either.

*Fire Dragons and Warp Spiders work in tandem on the left flank. After dismount, both squads fire at the same or nearby squads. Warp Spiders swoop in to finish off the rest in cc, or make a warp jump to better protect the Dragons from an enemy assault the following turn. Can be used against a variety of different units.

Right I'd swith out the dragons for some more bikes and vypers to help out the warpies, shining spears complement warpies very well. 2 hit and run units in an enemy line will wreck all of his plans.

*Jetbikes and Harlequins work in tandem on the right flank. Jetbikes lay down cover fire for the Harlequins against squads or light armor that could be a threat. The jetbikes could also be used to assault a unit in the Harlequins path to prevent the Harlequins from being assaulted in the next turn. If possible, have at least one harlequin close to Eldrad to benefit from Fortune.

Harleys too slow

Some units I'm worried about:
    The Harlequins... love the fluff and the models but I'm thinking they might be too fragile, and better replaced with an additional warp spider or fire dragon squad. Or something else. Input appreciated.

3 Wraithlords... Is 3 overkill? Are they the cheese machines they were in 3rd edition or have they been toned down so that taking 3 is not effective?

WL got the nerf they're mainly for anti tank nowdays, 1 is enough 2 is a little overkill and 3 is now pretty stupid (no offence intended) unless you're playing fluffy iyanden.

Does Eldrad fit into this list?

No, farseer would do eldrad's job just as well. Farseers dont actually help WL's that much, apart from avoiding wraithsight their powers dont help wraithlords all that much. Guide when they're already BS4 is pretty pointless and fortuning them when the only weapons that are gonna be shot are lascannnons and missile launchers arent great either.

Should I break the Warp Spiders up into 2 groups of 5 to give added versatility?

No keep the squads nice and big.

Kind of off-topic: Would a large unit of 10 Wraithguard have a place in this list? Draw attention and march up the middle with Eldrad and Wraithlords.

Wraithguard are too slow to do anything of importance apart from holding objective (that they do better that any unit in the game), a smart opposition would just ignore them.

Thanks in advanced for taking the time to give your input.
    Okay I would get some more bikes and add in some vypers for mobile firepower. Instead of the wraithlords I'd take a pair of prisms or a falcon or 2, they also take fire away from your serpent. War walkers are great for some s6 goodness and DA are some of the best troops in the game and got a huge buff from the 3rd edition. Good luck mate and welcome to the boards.
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, as has been said eldrad is alot of points. Drop him for now, and consider a lone farseer on a bike with a singing spear, give him mindwar and attach him to the bikes, let him break away and melt the brain out of a character's head or bust a tank/walker with his 12" lascannon.

Harlies are way slow, id drop them for another 10 man unit of spiders to run shotgun to your first unit! besides, 250 points is alot for a unit who will lack serious combat support!

I sort of like the 10 dragons in a serpent, however i dont like the flamer on the exarch, just stick to all around fusion for this unit and put them in a serpent with TL Bright lance, to cover their ass when closing in on the enenmy, the BL should pop a tank that is close by after disembark. I would run these behind the bikes so they block line of sight. And let the spiders handle the other flank.

I like your jet bike squads, but DieHard said it best when he said warlocks with singing spear. Put those guys in the 3 man squads at the least, that way they can still be dangerous! Your 6 man units are find except conceal is no good as the turbo save will be better and invulnerable still.

Drop the WLs for Falcons with scatter lasers, they will be as fast as the rest of your army and will take some heat off your other units.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with what's been said about the wraithlords and eldrad. I also agree that the Harlies don't fit, but for different reasons. They are the only close combat unit you have in your army, and they're really fragile. They can be mobbed and whittled down pretty easily if they don't have support. Also, since almost your entire army, excluding them, is pretty much immune to small arms fire (wraithlords are tough, spiders and jetbikes can hide), the opponent won't have much choice but to shoot them. This applies to a lesser degree to the fire dragons, although the fact that they're mounted can help them avoid a lot of fire too. I'd say you need to either pick up some more close combat units to support the Harlies, mount them, or drop them.

ex-tookool126 DieHardSaintKildaSupporter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah harleys dont have that problem, they can hit and run so they're fine in that respect, but their speed it's another matter
    Signed Sealed Saint
    Fortius Quo Fidelius

+ Reply to Thread