2000pt Hybrid Tournament List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000pt Hybrid Tournament List

Hi All,

I am looking to start a new army, never having played with Tau any comments or criticism would be great.

I am going for a well rounded army, with the units i want to paint and play with (funny that!)

So here goes....

Shas'el - Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Missile Pod + Multi Tracker 87

2 Crisis Suits - 2 Plasma Rifles, 2 Missile Pods + Multi Tracker 124
    2 Crisis Suits - 2 Plasma Rifles, 2 Fusion Blasters + Multi Tracker 136

12 Fire Warriors - Pulse Rifles 120
    Devilfish - Decoy Launchers 85
    10 Fire Warriors - Pulse Rifles 100
    10 Kroot w. 7 Hounds 112
    10 Kroot w. 2 Hounds + 1 Krootox 107

8 Pathfinders - Pulse Carbines w. Markerlights
    5 Vespiid + Strain Leader - Neutron Blasters 102

2 Broadside Suits - Twin Linked Railguns, Smart Missile Systems, Advanced Stabilisation Systems, Team Leader with 2 Shield Drones
    Hammerhead - Railgun, Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers + Multi Tracker 165
    Sky Ray - 6 Seeker Missiles, 2 Networked Markerlights, Gun Drones, Targetting Array, Decoy Launchers + Multi Tracker 155

TOTAL: 2000pts
    Models in Army: 110

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see some problems with this list...

Shas'el - Airbursting Fragmentation Projector, Missile Pod + Multi Tracker 87
    The airbursting fragmentation Projector is really bad, esp. on a commander. It is bad because it fills a role that the tau army already has plenty of:anti-infantry. You want your crisis suits to fill the role of anti-medium tank (fusion blaster an exception) and anti-heavy infantry. This means that your commander's high BS and special weapons options are being wasted on a redundant role. It is better to give him a plasma rifle/missile pod or plasma rifle fusion blaster.

2 Crisis Suits - 2 Plasma Rifles, 2 Fusion Blasters + Multi Tracker 136
    These guys are pretty good...maybe replace 2 with 2 deathrains instead, but its up to you.

Thats a lot of static guys, you might want to mount one more of them because it is better to have 2 mounted squads than 4 unmounted ones. Having a few static is viable because they can be a lure/firebase, but you don't want to many or else when (thats when not "if") the opponents fast assault troops get them, you will have lots a lot of VPs that are invested in that block of guys.

10 Kroot w. 7 Hounds 112
    10 Kroot w. 2 Hounds + 1 Krootox 107
    Get rid of the krootox they are absolutely terrible. They don't do anything you can't already do and prevent you from infiltrating, which kroot love to do.

8 Pathfinders - Pulse Carbines w. Markerlights
    This is ok

5 Vespiid + Strain Leader - Neutron Blasters 102
    I posted this earlier...
    Vespids are terrible simply because they cant kill anything, are expensive and vulnerable. The neutron blaster is a god weapon but not on a vespid. If they are fighting their best match up (marines) a full squad of 12 kills 4 marines. In response, they are either rapid-fired or assaulted. That also is assuming they get there unscathed (its hard to hide a 12-man unit and that you are fighting marines (not orks, tyranids, eldar etc. where they become even more useless). They are T4 with a 5+ save which is really crappy for a 16 point trooper and will die to most small arms really fast. They are crappy in assault (I5...who cares?) and a power sword/fist will kill loads of them. They are expensive (200 points for a 12 man team) and don't make those points back in the game. It also doesn't matter if you put them in cover, the second the enemy sees them they are going to get nailed because they are a lightly armored yet expensive unit. If they hide behind cover and try to finish off smaller units then they are never going to make their points back. There are things that would have made them viable like a 4+ save so they can't be decimated by bolters (though they are still vulnerable to assault but would be ok because of a fish of fury style tactic with them) or an 18 inch range or BS 4 or a 6" move with a crisis suit jump back move or a simple reduction in points. Without these though, they simply are a complete waste of points and end up giving your opponents VPs.

2 Broadside Suits - Twin Linked Railguns, Smart Missile Systems, Advanced Stabilisation Systems, Team Leader with 2 Shield Drones
    Drop the advanced stabalization system, it isn't worth it at because you want to stay in your cover and shut down lanes for his vehicles. If you move it givves him a window to exploit where you left uncovered. Also, you can't run away from anyone with those. Upgrade one to a shas'vre and give him a target lock and give both of them either a multi-tracker or a target array.

Hammerhead - Railgun, Gun Drones, Decoy Launchers + Multi Tracker 165
    Give this guy burst cannons and a target lock and he will be far, far more effective

Sky Ray - 6 Seeker Missiles, 2 Networked Markerlights, Gun Drones, Targetting Array, Decoy Launchers + Multi Tracker 155
    I personally don't take sky rays. Its not that they aren't good, they are, its just that why would you take this tank when you pay a bit extra and get one that is far better? You don't have enough ML to make this guy effective either. In a hybrid or static style list the way your FWs become really effective is through MLs. You dont want to be spending 'em launching S8 pot shots at dreadnoughts.

I think your list also suffers from compositional errors...things like the markerlight problems. I also think that your list has the weaknesses of both a static and a mech force, but not much of the advantages...meaning...You don't have the full firepower of a static list nor the mobility of a mech list. I think the addition of another devilfish, and replacing the sky ray with a HH, plus maybe adding a pirhana will make the list more balanced, cohesive and effective.

+ Reply to Thread