1850 Eldar List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1850 Eldar List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1850 Eldar List

After loosing very badly in the Baltimore GT with my Blood Angels I decided to revisit my eldar army that has a lot of potential that was never realized. I am planning on adding another banshees in wave serpant down the road , but as for now I think I have a decent list. What are some minor tweeks I can make and why?

Eldar List

Eldrad Ulthran 210pts

Farseer 108 pts
    Jetbike, Singing Spear Guide

6 Rangers 114 pts

Dire Avengers 165 pts
    Avenger Catipult, Exarch w/ power weapon and shimmer shield, Bladestorm, Defend

Dire Avengers 165 pts

Guardians 130 pts
    Eldar Missile Launcher, Warlock w/ wraith sight and conceal

Banshees 327pts
    Exarch w/ Executioner, Wave Serpent w/ Bright Lances and spirit stones

Striking Scorpions 139pts
    Exarch w/ scorpion’s claw

Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance 130 pts

Wraithlord w/ Wraithsword 100

Falcon 165 pts
    Holo Fields, Scatter Laser, Pulse Laser,

Fire Dragons 96pts

1849 pts 63 models

Basic plan is to line up on one side of the board and let the opponent come to me while I hit them with the dire advengers. When I feel the time is right hit them with the dire adveners, wraithlords, scorpions, and banshees. I feel there is enough shooting I will not be completely out shot by marines. Also all of my little guys have a 5+ cover save for moving forward.

Last edited by Lord Spanko; December 17th, 2007 at 20:28.
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Spanko View Post
    After loosing very badly in the Baltimore GT with my Blood Angels I decided to revisit my eldar army that has a lot of potential that was never realized. I am planning on adding another banshees in wave serpant down the road , but as for now I think I have a decent list. What are some minor tweeks I can make and why?

Eldar List

Eldrad Ulthran 210pts
    Eldrad can be good, but he is so expensive that you practically need have a plan for making him do some serious stuff each round. I have found that he works very well with dark reapers, harlequins and other units that benefit immensely from being repositioned prior to the game.

Farseer 108 pts
    Jetbike, Singing Spear Guide
    This setup is a bit strange to me. Guide is a typical "stay behind near the heavy shooters" power while the jetbike and spear suits a tank hunting farseer better. On a jetbike farseer I would be inclined to take mindwar to snipe some power fists/special weapons, or doom for when your banshees get to assault.

6 Rangers 114 pts
    Very good.

Dire Avengers 165 pts

Dire Avengers 165 pts
    Never been much of a fan of the power weapon on this guy. Strength 3 power weapons are notoriously unimpressive unless in large numbers. My suggestion is to go for the all out shooty squad with exarch with twin catapults and bladestorm. It will cost you 13 points less per squad... points you could use to bolster one of your cc squads.

Guardians 130 pts
    Eldar Missile Launcher, Warlock w/ wraith sight and conceal
    Wraith sight? Huh? Is he a spiritseer? Otherwise good to see some guardians. They do not get much work these days, and still suffer from the age old problem of having bs3 which makes a single shot weapon in their hands a dicey proposition. Scatter lasers work well in guardian squads.

Banshees 130pts
    Exarch w/ Executioner, Wave Serpent w/ Bright Lances
    Striking Scorpions 139pts
    Exarch w/ scorpion’s claw[/QUOTE]

You should consider bolstering these squads. As a rule CC squads need numbers. Scorpions should probably also be either mounted in a serpent or infiltrating.

Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance 130 pts

Wraithlord w/ Wraithsword 100
    I feel it is a waste to not give the second wraithlord a heavy weapon. Wraithlords are accurate and survivable weapons platforms and should be used as such. Your second wraithlord serves only one purpose and that is to discourage people from assaulting your more squishy units. He is not fast enough to chase anyone down and he can be safely ignored for large parts of the game.

Falcon 165 pts

Fire Dragons 96pts
    OK, I guess. I am not a proponent of mounting stuff in falcons, but the community is divided, so I will not whine about it.

1839 pts 63 models

Basic plan is to line up on one side of the board and let the opponent come to me while I hit them with the dire advengers. When I feel the time is right hit them with the dire adveners, wraithlords, scorpions, and banshees. I feel there is enough shooting I will not be completely out shot by marines.
    I like your list. You have chosen good solid units. I do feel you lack some speed. Your list does not have the ability to react very quickly to the flow of the game. Two of your dedicated cc units only move 6" while only two units are mounted.

I suspect that you will set up the wraithlords close to the guardian squad with Eldrad close by. This will certainly be solid, but even with two guides from eldrad each turn the collective firepower is not really that impressive. Farseer powers work on very different distances. Guide is best employed from a position where mind war is of no use etc. So in order for eldrad to really do his thing he needs to hover around something that is deadly with his guide... could be walkers, reapers, wraithlord with two weapons. That will force the opponent to come closer to him and put them in range of mindwar and doom.

If eldrad spends the game casting fortune on your concealed guardians and guide on your wraithlord he will have a hard time making his points back. That job could just as easily be handled by a much, much cheaper farseer. I guess the point I am trying to make is that eldrad is a bit of a centre piece model. You dont include him just because you want to cast guide, you include him and then include units that fit well with him. Apart from moving units around before the game starts eldrad really does not do anything a regular farseer cannot do. Only thing is that Eldrad can do it all, every round. Either build around these two abilities (repositioning units and doing the work of several farseers) or chose one role and make a farseer that can fit that role.

As I mentioned earlier walkers and reapers work well with eldrads ability to reposition them. Both units can force the opponent to hide his troops on a large part of the table. And with Eldrad you can then move them to a more juicy spot.

Also all of my little guys have a 5+ cover save for moving forward.
    Not sure what you mean about all you little guys having a cover save. Only your guardians will have that. And with a single shot weapon they are not gonna be very high on anyones list of target priorities.

/Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the power weapon and shimmer shield to give the dire advengers and guardians all have a 5+ save. I was going to use the scorpions as a counter assault squad but I think I might re consider.

I like the idea of having both wraithlord having a weapon maybe two

Thanks for the advice
    If you build a man a fire he will be warm for a night. If you set a man on fire he will be warm the rest of his life.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

I have the power weapon and shimmer shield to give the dire advengers and guardians all have a 5+ save.
    Remember, the avengers only have that +5 invulnerable save in cc, not when being shot at.

I was going to use the scorpions as a counter assault squad but I think I might re consider.
    Scorpions are an ok counter charge unit. But if you want a unit that really discourages the opponent from moving too close, then banshees and harlies might be better. But your wraithlords could also perform that job.

/Arizzar
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not only can eldrad cast multiple fortunes/guides w/e....he also does not get instant killed by perils of the warp, like a farseer will which in my opinion is huge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by LonelyPenguin View Post
    not only can eldrad cast multiple fortunes/guides w/e....he also does not get instant killed by perils of the warp, like a farseer will which in my opinion is huge
    Granted, but so is his price. Actually losing a farseer to a perils of the warp is very rare. I am not saying eldrad is bad, quite the contrary. He is good, but comes with an apropriate price tag. So when you include him you have to make sure you get value for the price you pay. Such as having units that benefit immensely from being repositioned and from guide. These units will also serve to draw the enemy forward and into range of doom and mindwar.

/Arizzar
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My main concern with this army is having enough fire power that the enemy will come to me. I am pretty sure that if I play Imp guard or Tau with this list they will sit back and shoot me to death. I am at a loss though on what I should add.

Dire Avengers
    (plus) I have some models already
    they are great with the guide power
    can annihilate marine squads
    are good with redirect Eldrad power
    (minus) have to drop a wraithlord or the falcon
    are easily lost in shotting
    expesive points wise
    worthless in cc

Guardians
    (plus) have a bunch of them laying around
    cheap points
    lots of bodies
    (minus) only really useful as a heavy weapon platform
    get in the way of my normal guys assaulting

Rangers
    (plus) have a bunch (old alaitoc rules)
    Good against high toughness things
    (minus) waste of points against low toughness guys
    die quickly in cc

War walkers
    (plus) great with guide power
    movable
    devistating to many things
    (minus) only own one
    need to drop wraithlord
    usualy die quickly against shooty armies (better than dark reapers I suppose)

I am figuring after the new year I will either go much more shooty or add another banshee squad and maybe some harlies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a bit of an updated list that encorperates more shooting from the wraithlords and rangers and drops the fire dragons and guardians in favor of another banshee squad

Eldar List

Eldrad Ulthran 210pts

Farseer 108 pts
    Jet bike, Singing Spear Guide

5 Pathfinders 120 pts

10 Dire Avengers 165 pts
    Avenger Catapult, Exarch w/ power weapon and shimmer shield, Blade storm, Defend

10 Dire Avengers 165 pts
    Avenger Catapult, Exarch w/ power weapon and shimmer shield, Blade storm, Defend

8 Banshees 156 pts
    Exarch w/ Executioner & warshout

10 Banshees 327pts
    Exarch w/ Executioner, Wave Serpent w/ Bright Lances and spirit stones

6 Striking Scorpions 139pts
    Exarch w/ scorpion’s claw

Wraithlord w/ Bright Lance & EML 155 pts

Wraithlord w/ Scatter Laser and Star cannon 140pts

Falcon 165 pts

1850 pts 52 models

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would try to get the other assault squads mounted as well. You may end up having to drop one of the squads, but I think you'll be better off in the long-run if every assault squad has a way to get where they're going.

On a side note, this list is rather unfluffy, because Eldrad is an Ulthwe Farseer. An Ulthwe list would have alot fewer aspect squads, and many more Guardian squads.
    "What do Humans know of our pain? We have sung songs of lament since before your ancestors crawled on their bellies from the sea."
    - Farseer Eldrad Ulthran of Craftworld Ulthwe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

My main concern with this army is having enough fire power that the enemy will come to me. I am pretty sure that if I play Imp guard or Tau with this list they will sit back and shoot me to death. I am at a loss though on what I should add.
    I have found Tau to be a bit strange when it comes to that. Sure, they have 70" guns with great strength, but only in limited numbers. After that there is a big gap down to the other weapons they have. So if you can knock down their 70" guns you will often find that a standard eldar army has an advantage in range over tau. Just dont take the fight too close to them cause that swings the whole thing back in their favor again.

Guard is more tricky here because their heavy weapons are often spread out a whole lot more. And they will need a VERY good reason to start running towards you instead of shooting at you. Best answer to this is speed. Get to grips with his line as quickly as you can.

Dire Avengers
    (plus) I have some models already
    they are great with the guide power
    can annihilate marine squads
    are good with redirect Eldrad power
    (minus) have to drop a wraithlord or the falcon
    are easily lost in shotting
    expesive points wise
    worthless in cc
    My typical setup is 10 guys including exarch with dual shrunken cats and bladestorm. 152 points on the road is a steal for this squad! I dont consider this expensive in the least. A functional squad of my chaos marines will typically cost me 250-270 points. Dire Avengers are remarkable versus horde, and do more than well versus MEQ. Try to find that combo anywhere else for the same points. They are good even without being guided and shooting up a doomed squad, but when they ARE guided and ARE shooting up a doomed sqaud they rock! I find it a real boon to have a troop choice that can work well on its own, and yet benefit immensely if my farseer/eldrad is close by.

In typical eldar fashion these guys will consistently whittle down enemy squads and let your banshees or scorpions mop up the rest without casualties. And with a pricetag that generous you can affort to bring a few squads. They are pretty worthless in cc, but seriously, your list includes two squads of banshees, one squad of scorpions and two wraithlords, it is not cc you should be worried about.

Guardians
    (plus) have a bunch of them laying around
    cheap points
    lots of bodies
    (minus) only really useful as a heavy weapon platform
    get in the way of my normal guys assaulting
    Yes, pretty much. I have tried several setups, but still find that avengers are just better for my playing style both in my footslogging and mech lists.

Rangers
    (plus) have a bunch (old alaitoc rules)
    Good against high toughness things
    (minus) waste of points against low toughness guys
    die quickly in cc
    Many low toughness guys also have a questionable ld value. That being said rangers and pathfinders will not work for every list.

War walkers
    (plus) great with guide power
    movable
    devistating to many things
    (minus) only own one
    need to drop wraithlord
    usualy die quickly against shooty armies (better than dark reapers I suppose)
    I find these punish something severely and then die horribly. in some games that is enough, but generally I prefer reapers.

I am figuring after the new year I will either go much more shooty or add another banshee squad and maybe some harlies
    Three banshee squads in one army? Thats gotta be some kind of record for most power weapons in one list ;o

/Arizzar
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast