First 'Nid List ~ 2000 points Shooty-ish - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 'Nid List ~ 2000 points Shooty-ish

Just starting 'Nids, and I'm working on my first army list to see what I'm going to need to buy and such. There are a couple grey areas, mostly because I'm not 100% sure how to configure certain things so that they go best with my army. Any and all advice is appreciated.

EDIT: Updated the list a little, adding in the Hive Tyrant, and fixing some discrepancies/odditites.

Hive Fleet (Yet to be named)

HQ
    Hive Tyrant: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Tyrant Guard x1
    ~200 points

Warrior Brood: 3 Warriors, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, 2 x Deathspitters, (Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler?), 3 x Scything talons
    ~95-100 points

Elites
    Dakka Fex: 2 x TL-Devourers, Enhanced Senses
    ~113 points

Dakka Fex 2: 2 x TL-Devourers, Enhanced Senses
    ~113 points

Warrior Brood 2: 3 Warriors, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, 2 x Deathspitters, (Venom Cannon or Barbed Strangler?) 3 x Scything Talons
    ~95-100 points

Troops
    15 Termagants: Spinefists
    ~75 points

15 Termagants: Fleshborers
    ~90 points

8 Genestealers: Extended Carapace
    ~168 points

~168 points

Fast Attack
    3 Broods of 1 Ravener: Scything Talons + Rending Claws
    ~120 points

Heavy Support

Sniperfex: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks
    ~189 points

Sniperfex 2: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks
    ~189 points

3 Zoanthropes: Psychic Powers to be deterined
    ~? points

Total: 1620. 380 points to play around with the Zoanthropes powers and addition/removal of Biomorphs/Squads.

Mostly, I'm looking for what to add/remove with extra points, and what to squeeze in. Most of the armies I play against are MEQ, if that helps you come up with suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited by TheBloodening; December 16th, 2007 at 01:29. Reason: Updating some things.
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tyranids - Unnamed Hive Fleet]
    [Tau Empire]

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

Well, the obvious things to do (before getting on with the tyrantness) would be to get a big gun in each of the warrior broods, also toxin sacs to get the guns working as best as possible.

Dont without-numberify the gaunts, fun though it sounds, if they dont wipe the whole brood out, youre buggered.

Sodomy non sapiens about the tyrant. It comes down to personal preference, do a bit of proxying to see what you like. And make sure to give him warp field if he flys.
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Beardy_Wierdy View Post
    Well, the obvious things to do (before getting on with the tyrantness) would be to get a big gun in each of the warrior broods, also toxin sacs to get the guns working as best as possible.
    Yeah. I was going to do that originally, but I left some extra points open for playing around, and my Tyrant, depending on how expensive he was going to be.

Dont without-numberify the gaunts, fun though it sounds, if they dont wipe the whole brood out, youre buggered.
    I was figuring as such when I posted this, I just wanted to make sure it was kind of silly. The shiny object effect, I suppose. Taking this off should probably help make points for some bigger guns on the Warriors. Any suggestions?

Sodomy non sapiens about the tyrant. It comes down to personal preference, do a bit of proxying to see what you like. And make sure to give him warp field if he flys.
    I'm not really sure what I want to do with the Tyrant. Flyrant would be nice, but it's not the easiest thing to find wings for the things, aside from ordering in bits. I've heard good things about Flyrants though. Not sure what exactly I'd kit a walking Tyrant out with, gun wise. But of course a walking Tyrant needs the obligatory guard, which is where some of the extra points were being held in reserve for.

Thanks for the advice though. Mostly, I don't want to do with my 'Nids what I did with my Chaos. It's a decent army, if it works, but it was driven a little by impulse, and lost a decent amount of it's effectiveness with the new Codex. So I figured I'd check on the configuration of things before I went out and did it without getting some opinions.

Edit: Anyone have any opinions/ideas on if I should keep the Hormagaunts or not? They seem a little out of place in my mostly shooty list. Also, should I go for Spinegaunts, or something else? Perhaps change the Hormies to some sort of non-Spinegaunt shooting gaunt?
    Last edited by TheBloodening; December 15th, 2007 at 20:41. Reason: Screwed up the first edit.
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tau Empire]

In the middle of nowhere...or in other words Nebraska of the USA...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    60 (x3)

First things first your zoanthropes are illegal for the fact that they have 3 powers when they are limited to 2. So first things first depending on your oppenents you should either take out the WB or PS (preferably if you want this to be competive go with PS though if you fight a lot of fearless armies).

Though I do like hormagaunts it is as you say they are bit out of place in this list so I would drop them and go for more gaunts (I prefer termagaunts but its your choice). Also your stealers have flesh hooks on them I assume by their point cost which isn't too bad but if you need points you could drop em as their role in this list at the moment is counter assault along with the raveners.

Now for you hive tyrant I understand your postion. Wings can be a pain to convert and get. Though if you did make him flying give him Warp Field then either 2 TL devours with other upgrades that are effective with it or 2 ST and assorted upgrades. Now for a walking hive tyrant there are a few effective shootying types (CC isn't really ever a good idea for the most part). First is Venom Cannon and Barbed strangler it may be weaker then the carnifexs but it is a lot more accurate and the VC fires more shots as well. There is also the VC and TL devours or 2 TL devours etc. still its up to you what you think is needed in your list.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lictor1989 View Post
    First things first your zoanthropes are illegal for the fact that they have 3 powers when they are limited to 2. So first things first depending on your oppenents you should either take out the WB or PS (preferably if you want this to be competive go with PS though if you fight a lot of fearless armies).
    Wow, I don't know what I was thinking when I was doing up this list. Thanks for pointing that out.8Y Must've not been paying attention and read the Zoanthrope entry wrong. I don't really fight a lot of Fearless enemies, but Warp Blast might be a must (One of the few surefire Penetrating Hits in a 'Nid army. The people I play have a decent amount of vehicles). I'm not really sure how much Synapse Coverage I'm going to need (Since at the moment I do have 6 units with it) so perhaps that could go? I just find the need to be able to deal with armor and MEQ's (May be a small blast, but it can still do damage), and the ability to ravage their leadership if they have to do Pinning Tests (Barbed Stranglers) perhaps Target Priority/Combat-Shooting resolution tests seems very amusing to me. Like I said, new to 'Nids, so not so sure about the amounts of Synapse needed.

Though I do like hormagaunts it is as you say they are bit out of place in this list so I would drop them and go for more gaunts (I prefer termagaunts but its your choice). Also your stealers have flesh hooks on them I assume by their point cost which isn't too bad but if you need points you could drop em as their role in this list at the moment is counter assault along with the raveners.
    At the moment, without having to buy more stuff for extra bits, I could change the Hormies into either Fleshborer of Devourer Gaunts. I'm leaning towards Fleshborers, because S2 Dev's are kind of lackluster, and I don't want to start dumping too many points into the Gaunts by way of Toxin Sacs to bring the Strength up.

As it is, I may or may not need the extra points, but after tweaking, it may end up that way. I was thinking of having the Genies as counter/Pre-emptive assault units. Either assault nearby troops as a cover/screen, or launch themselves over walls and hurl themselves down upon the enemies own assault troops, waiting behind cover. Having them assault at the same time as those units behind cover would be nice too, but if I need points, I'll look into taking it out.

Now for you hive tyrant I understand your postion. Wings can be a pain to convert and get. Though if you did make him flying give him Warp Field then either 2 TL devours with other upgrades that are effective with it or 2 ST and assorted upgrades. Now for a walking hive tyrant there are a few effective shootying types (CC isn't really ever a good idea for the most part). First is Venom Cannon and Barbed strangler it may be weaker then the carnifexs but it is a lot more accurate and the VC fires more shots as well. There is also the VC and TL devours or 2 TL devours etc. still its up to you what you think is needed in your list.
    Yeah, I've heard good things about Flyrants with TL-Devs, not as much about Dual ST's. I considered the VC/BS combo, and the VC/TL-Dev combo initially, but I didn't really like how skewed the VC/TL-Dev range was. I like the fact that if I give the Tyrant a VC as well, it gives that many more chances to take down armor the Fex's don't take down. As it is, I think I'll be trying to keep my Tyrant more than 18'' away from the enemy, so VC/BS is probably how I'll go. Should I run Toxin Sacs on him to up the BS strength, or just leave it as is? Going down the walking Tyrant root, I should probably shove a Tyrant guard (Or two?) in with him, yes? Most people say at least one.

Thanks for the help. You've helped me realize some little things I'd never thought of at first (Like that Zoanthrope mess up.). Every little bit of advice is appreciated. 8Y
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tau Empire]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Well after using WB for many battles to tell you the truth I hardly ever get into range of armor to use it since its so short. Then comes the problem that you have to take a pyschic test then actually hit with it. In my few occasions I'm actually in range I usually miss (even if I have 2 or three within range...). So really after a long time using it I find that they are just better off being support only. Also you usually want as much synaspe as you can plus a majority of yours is warriors which can be fragile (Heavy Bolters are your worst enemy).

Also on the devour gaunt don't underestimate them. Sure they have only str 2 guns but you get twice as many shots, they reroll wounds anyways, and are longer range then the rest. They also can stay in cover and still fire plus they probally will get more chances to fire then termagaunts. Though that isn't to say that I don't like termagaunts as I love their str 4 guns as they can help in case any armor 10 comes nearby plus anything with a 5+ save or worse will feel the pain. Again it all comes down to preferance though maybe a few test battles could work in your favor as well.

Now lastly your Hive Tyrant again. I always give my HT toxin sacs as it improves the worth of the guns by a lot (like how the VC can actually hurt AV14 or insta kill T4 models plus BS needs the str boost). Alright for taking guard it all comes down to how many points you have left and how much your oppenents want him dead. So you may have to do a few battles to see how it works out but for the most part go 1-2 guards also never give him Extended Carpace since it messes up majority saves.
    Is it me or does any other necron player get annoyed when they see people saying "Necrons eat souls". How is that even possible as souls are part of the warp and necrons want nothing to do with it? Eh probaly me just me being picky.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I apologize in advance; This is going to be a fairly long post.

Well after using WB for many battles to tell you the truth I hardly ever get into range of armor to use it since its so short. Then comes the problem that you have to take a pyschic test then actually hit with it. In my few occasions I'm actually in range I usually miss (even if I have 2 or three within range...). So really after a long time using it I find that they are just better off being support only. Also you usually want as much synaspe as you can plus a majority of yours is warriors which can be fragile (Heavy Bolters are your worst enemy).
    I've had decent luck with psychic tests / to hit rolls in the past, but I figured my synapse would be a little choppy. Warp Blast appealed to me mostly because the majority of the armies I fight are MEQ's, so it's nice to have at least something that ignores their saves. I just like the idea of decimating the opponents leadership for the pinning tests the BS causes. I guess I'll just have to try out some different configurations and see what works best.

Also on the devour gaunt don't underestimate them. Sure they have only str 2 guns but you get twice as many shots, they reroll wounds anyways, and are longer range then the rest. They also can stay in cover and still fire plus they probally will get more chances to fire then termagaunts. Though that isn't to say that I don't like termagaunts as I love their str 4 guns as they can help in case any armor 10 comes nearby plus anything with a 5+ save or worse will feel the pain. Again it all comes down to preferance though maybe a few test battles could work in your favor as well.
    That's a good pont. Even with S2, twice as many shots can do a decent amount of damage. Perhaps Devourer Gaunts instead of the spinegaunts? I mostly decided to have Spinegaunts since they're rather cheap. I'll change things up and see how my points are looking.

Now lastly your Hive Tyrant again. I always give my HT toxin sacs as it improves the worth of the guns by a lot (like how the VC can actually hurt AV14 or insta kill T4 models plus BS needs the str boost). Alright for taking guard it all comes down to how many points you have left and how much your oppenents want him dead. So you may have to do a few battles to see how it works out but for the most part go 1-2 guards also never give him Extended Carpace since it messes up majority saves.
    I see what you mean. If you take more than one guard, he only gets a 3+ anyways. The points from that can go towards the +S and the extra points on the VC and BX associated with that. Chances are people are going to want the Tyrant dead, since they just have that impressive 'Please kill me!' look to them, sort of like Fex's. I might just only run one guard, but I'll try a couple battles with/without.

Allright, so time for some changes to the list (This is where the extra long part comes from. Apologies again.)

HQ
    Hive Tyrant: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Toxin Sacs, Optional Tyrant Guard
    ~157-202 points

Warrior Brood: 3 Warriors, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, 2 x Deathspitters, Venom Cannon, 3 x Scything talons
    ~100 points

Elites
    Dakka Fex: 2 x TL-Devourers, Enhanced Senses
    ~113 points

Dakka Fex 2: 2 x TL-Devourers, Enhanced Senses
    ~113 points

Warrior Brood 2: 3 Warriors, Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, 2 x Deathspitters, Venom Cannon 3 x Scything Talons
    ~100 points

Troops
    15 Termagants: Devourers
    ~105 points

15 Termagants: Fleshborers
    ~90 points

~168 points

~168 points

Fast Attack
    3 Broods of 1 Ravener: Scything Talons + Rending Claws
    ~120 points

Heavy Support

Sniperfex: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Bonded Exoskeleton
    ~183 points

Sniperfex 2: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin, Bonded Exoskeleton
    ~183 points

3 Zoanthropes: Psychic Powers to be deterined
    ~165-195 points

=1765-1840

So now I have about 235-160 extra points to spend, depending on what sort of powers I give my Zoanthrope, and if I take a Guard with my Tyrant. Any more suggestions on what I should try to add/remove/tweak?
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tau Empire]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

60 (x3)

Looks pretty good so far though maybe a little low on the numbers. If I were you I would try to bulk up some of your troop squads and then split them to fit in all your troop slots ( so you can split em up and have the enemy split fire on them and such). Though if you don't have enough models then I would recommend a few more when you get the funds and money (never can have too many gaunts).

As for the rest I really think you just need to playtest it as I can only go so far with my experience as I'm limited to my area.

Anime Clansmen

Tyranid Hivemind Member

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty good so far though maybe a little low on the numbers. If I were you I would try to bulk up some of your troop squads and then split them to fit in all your troop slots ( so you can split em up and have the enemy split fire on them and such). Though if you don't have enough models then I would recommend a few more when you get the funds and money (never can have too many gaunts).

As for the rest I really think you just need to playtest it as I can only go so far with my experience as I'm limited to my area.
    Yeah. I could probably fill up the rest of my troops slots (and points) by adding another squad of both Devourer and Fleshborer gaunts. Lots of flexibility at the moment, since the only things I actually have so far are a Ravener and the Codex, haha. (Waiting for Christmas money and what not so I can get more.)

As for limited experience, you've done a pretty good job of helping me noticed stupid little things so far, so good on ya. 8Y
    [Thousand Sons]
    [Tau Empire]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First things first your zoanthropes are illegal for the fact that they have 3 powers when they are limited to 2.
    Zoanthropes always have the Psy power Warp Field. In addition, a Zoan must choose a second Psy Power ... and can choose a third if desired.
    So, you can take 3 Psy powers.:happy:
    Nothing to see here, please move along.
    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast