tournament winning list 10/07 - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tournament winning list 10/07

shas'el Plasma R Missile P Target A HWMT
    Aun
    x2 xv8 TL Missile Target A
    x2 xv8 Missile P Plasma R Target A
    x6 xv15 Burst C bond

FW x10 P Rifle Bond shas'ui HWTL Marker L

Kroot x10 k rifle

Drone A x6 TL Carb
    Drone B x6 TL Carb

Path F x3 ML x3 R Rifle, D Fish SMS Target A Decoy L

Xv88 x2 x1 SMS Team L HWTL HWDC x1 S Drone
    x1 TL PR

Hammer Ion Cannon x2 Burst C Decoy Multi T Target L
    Hammer Ion Cannon x2 Burst C Decoy Multi T Target L

The list above was used in local Florida RRT which it won. Fought IG, Dark Angles, and Templars.

Points of interest: 6 markerlights, 25 shot above S5, 14 total units, Etherial (only a coward need fear loosing him), 13 total drones

Last edited by Fishpaste; December 18th, 2007 at 21:34.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by Fishpaste View Post
    The list above was used in local Florida RRT which it won. Fought IG, Dark Angles, and Templars.

<SNIP>

Points of interest: 6 markerlights, 25 shot above S5, 14 total units, Etherial (only a coward need fear loosing him), 13 total drones
    Congrats on your success, Brother Fish. It would be most useful to all of us lesser mortals out here if you could advise us what tactics you used, what units worked well, and what units didn't, any problems you faced and how you you overcame them, what lessons you learned from your list and the overall way it played, perhaps even if you would change anything and why. I'm sure you get my drift ... ... ...

But again, congratulations.

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Ravenscraig View Post
    Congrats on your success, Brother Fish. It would be most useful to all of us lesser mortals out here if you could advise us what tactics you used, what units worked well, and what units didn't, any problems you faced and how you you overcame them, what lessons you learned from your list and the overall way it played, perhaps even if you would change anything and why. I'm sure you get my drift ... ... ...But again, congratulations.

~ Ravenscraig ~
    That's a bunch of data you're asking for, and some of it changes about every ten minutes

OK, My main tactic, as the list suggests, is to rely upon shooting rather than "point denial" through mechanization. While Mech Tau gives one the sense of security that 90% of enemy weapons are unable to hurt skimmers, and CC is problematic at best, the converged cost of floating everyone creates two serious issues for Tau: First is that Tau's strength in shooting is reduced by over half for most of the game, and second is each successful enemy shot does far more damage tactically and points wise.

Typically I set my tanks, DF, and BSides behind cover. I place the FW in cover, and the path finders I centrally locate behind a FW unit. I always try to place all dismounted troops at least 1" behind the deployment limit, as this keeps super fast stuff at bay. I deploy the crisis teams near the tanks behind cover, the difference being that they will JSJ around that cover while the tanks will move away (always latterally until around turn 5). finally I place the etherial at the center rear near a FW unit (in case S wolf scouts or something pops up to slay him, he can join the unit and make it fearless) where everyone can see him; the 'el I place where I expect the enemy to send his fast movers (bikes, land speeders, etc). I infiltrate the kroot near the most likely avenue of approach to act as a speed bump; the enemy can't ignore them, so he must avoid them or attack them which frees up my FW to concentrate...forgot to metion I try ti keep the FW units where they can converge their fire on a single area out to 30" even if one unit must stand in the open to accomplish this. The last placement are infiltrating stealth which I place just in front of my deployment zone, near cover, and along the most obvious path of things like gaunts, sentinels, anything with 5+ save or AV10.

I DS the drones. I like to drop them behind enemy armor, as drones killing a leman rus through rear armor is a real demoralizer

I never move forward in any sector until it has been cleared mostly. I concentrate all firepower on, in order: Fast movers, heavy hitters, the rest. So, against Dark Angles noted above, I shot everyone at the assault marines on turn one and they were gone; against the IG iwth no fast movers, I shot the hellhounds and LR tanks first; against the Templars it was the landspeeders and assault marines, then the dreads. Once a sector is cleared of things that make tanks go boom in CC, I move into that sector with the skimmers and DS'ing drones. At best, barring terrible dice, I can occupy every quarter in two turns (5 and 6), and at worst this means contesting them.

when I say concentrate firepower, I truely mean concentrate. A single unit of assault marines will draw fire from every single unit until it is gone. Same with any priority target. Often I take many casualties, but this is irrelevant; the game isn't about saving the lives of models. It is about quarters, objectives, or crushing the enemy. If I loose all of my FW units, the stealth, the kroot, and a tank, I still have enough to contest quarters. This is key; as long as the enemy feels the need to bring the fight to Tau, the Tau will win.

the biggest mistake I see Tau players make is assigning units different targets based upon their weapon. So you'll see FW shooting infantry, crisis shooting light armor, and tanks shooting tanks every single turn. this allows the enemy to absorb the damage and remain effective in his game plan. To cripple the enemy plan, you must first understand that his army is designed to function to his plan and actively work to defeat his plan by unbalancing his force structure. This is why fast movers die first. Most armies that rely to any degree on CC need to get their fast in order to stop your shooting. If they never make it, then what the enemy has left is going to be slower and more easily concentrated upon: Rhino full of maines, devistator squads with H bolters or lascannons, foot sloggers, dreadnaughts, and other 6" per turn stuff.

Shooting the heavy hitters as second tier priority targets is exactly the same. I may only have two broadsides to shoot at leman russes, but any Tau weapon will penitrate the LR rear armor, and many will do the side. If their are no fast movers left and I have both tanks and broadsides alive, I'll shoot all of them at a single tank until it is gone, shaken, stunned or something then move on to the next. never leave a vehicle shot at but undamaged: it boosts your opponant's morale.

If the opponant has tons of cheap stuff like gaunts, DE warriors, or IG troops, then it is a fieldday for the markerlight and pulse rifle combo.

Impossible things like landraiders, monoliths, Carnifex, etc are best ignored until last. They lumber slowly and their shooting is usually wasted on fire warriors.

OK, that was mostly stream of thought, so hopefully not too convoluted. sorry for spelling errors...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just noted I didn't actually answer your questions as much as give a manifesto... :o

I have changed the second crisis team back into another deathrain team: cheaper and more effective. The original fear that drove me to give them fireknives was the ravenwing bikers with teleporting assault termies. This is a local favorite right now (at least until the new ork codex makes ravenwing worthless), and nothing loves termies more than plasma rifles rapid firing...

The stealth didn't work as well as usual. I switched over to the new models and increased from 5 to 6, but they now have too large a footprint (can be seen better or appear more dangerous) so they draw alot more fire than the used to at tournaments. Still I never leave home without those 18 shots.

I've been playing Tau now for three years. it is the only army I'd play at tournaments, and this list is a refinement of those years of playing at least one game a week. I think the list is solid for my style of play, so no real weaknesses. Any weakness would be from me doing something stupid during deployment, which I've been known to do from time to time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry if i couldnt find it but how mny points is this army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shaper101 View Post
    sorry if i couldnt find it but how mny points is this army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice, a very well thought out list you dont see many on other forums great work;Y

+ Reply to Thread