1,500pts Noob-ish - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    1 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

979 (x8)

1,500pts Noob-ish

Well hello there, dear denizens of the darker bits of intergalactic space...

I am fairly seriously considering a return to my first army ever, the Hive Fleets of the Tyranids.
    I basically wanted a bit of everything in this list, but in a classical tyranid fashion (ie: not so much shooting), so I am well aware that I am fairly severly handicapped against skimmers in general (and Tau and Eldar in particular), but I think this looks fairly fun regardless.

So, have I made any huge mistakes with this...:

Hive Tyrant: 178pts
    Adrenal Glands (I), Flesh Hooks, Toxin Sacs, Toxic Miasma, Wings.
    2x Scything Talons, Psychic Scream.

Broodlord: 99pts
    Adrenal Glands (I), Flesh Hooks, Implant Attack, Toxin Sacs.

Retinue: 126pts
    6 Genestealers w/ Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks.

Tyranid Warrior Brood: 152pts
    4 Warriors w/ Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs.
    Deathspitters & Rending Claws.

Lictor: 80pts

Carnifex: 114pts
    Adrenal Glands (Ws), Flesh Hooks, Toxic Miasma.
    2x Scything Talons.

Genestealer Brood: 192pts
    8 Genestealers w/ Extended Carapace, Flesh Hooks, Scuttlers.

Gaunt Brood: 48pts
    8 Gaunts w/ Fleshborers.

Gaunt Brood: 60pts
    10 Gaunts w/ Fleshborers.

10 Gaunts w/ Fleshborers.

12 Gaunts w/ Spinefists.

12 Gaunts w/ Spinefists.

Fast Attack:

Ravener Brood: 80pts
    2 Raveners w/ Rending Claws & Scything Talons.

Ravener Brood: 80pts
    2 Raveners w/ Rending Claws & Scything Talons.

Heavy Support:

Zoanthrope Brood: 110pts
    2 Zoanthropes w/ Synapse Creature & Psychic Scream.

TOTAL: 1,499pts

So, thoughts and comments, and some suggestions, if there are any?
    Cheers in advance, you lovely tentacled monsters...!

minus_t's painting log! Now with: More Wolves and Blue Robots!
    Last updated 09/01/11

"Never before has another man made me want to go out and buy vasaline"~The Paint Monkey

"All I can remeber is Hazard stripes and -T's dusty brushes. ~danjones87

2. Remove Advertisements

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

15 (x1)

looks good except for a few things

Psychic scream IS good but not on a flyrant.

He'll need the warp field. against necrons you could pull it off but as a general list. nope

drop the implant attack on the broodlord. most of the times you want you beefy HQ to hit the lower troops. and let the enemy HQ die by flesh eating beetles.

btw I'd take a venom cannon or a barbed strangler on the warriors... just a thought
    otherwise looks good.

although you don't have any Anti tank weaponry

on turn 1 you won't be able to hurt a tank.

Hive Fleet Lucanus : 2000 points

0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

2 (x1)

Welcome back to the loving embrace of the Hive Mind! It's always nice to have another mindless cog in our mercilessly ruthless eating machine.

A heavy support venom cannon/barbed strangler toting Carnifex (VC, BS, enhanced senses, reinforced chitin, + anything you think works) would be better than the CC one. Yes, it's about 60 points more expensive, but with two strength 10 shots and one strength 8 big template, it will do a lot more damage. The main problem with the CC 'fex is how incredibly slow it is. You'll take a good 3-4 turns to get into combat with it, and that's provided the enemy doesn't move away. Which they probably will, as if a monstrosity like a Carnifex starts running towards you, you want to get as far away as possible. xP

If you don't want to put the extra points into a Heavy 'fex, just switch your elite one for one with 2x twin-linked deathspitters and enhanced senses. Works out one point cheaper (not like that will make any difference. xD), and will do far more damage. Also shreds light tanks and skimmers. Sure, you're only strength 6, but you've got 8 twin-linked shots. One or two of them will get through, even on armour 12.

You might want to consider going with all spinegaunts, rather than the termagaunts. The extra numbers of the spinegaunts makes up for their lower strength in shooting. Either way, they're not doing much damage, so you might as well go for the one that gives you more disposable troops.

Perhaps give one of the warriors a Barbed Strangler? You've got all that Screaming going on, so you might as well capitalise on that by making the enemy repeatedly fail pinning tests.

It's just the Carnifex, really. Everything else is more-or-less fine, and up to personal preference more than anything else. Little things that depend on your style of play.

If CC 'Fex's hit the enemy lines, they do hurt. Quite impressively, sometimes. It's getting there that's the problem. 6' a turn is slow, for assault troops. In the games I've played the ranged 'fex's have always outperformed the combat ones.

Well, apart from against one particularly naive (or stupid) Necron player, who decided to move his Monolith towards the death beetle I'd brought along. Don't count on that happening every game though. xD
    Last edited by Zakrael; December 30th, 2007 at 15:05.

+ Reply to Thread