1500/1750 Mech Tau List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500/1750 Mech Tau List

My first shot at a Tau list (I have a similar post over on the Tyranids forum =P) and I'm trying to make an all-comers core list for myself to use casually, maybe in local Tournaments, and build off of for future selections.

HQ:
    Sunfire Shas'O
    - Plasma Rifle
    - Fusion Blaster
    - Missile Pod
    - Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker

122 (I know, I know - I'll get there in the summary at the bottom)

Helios Shas'El
    - Plasma Rifle
    - Fusion Blaster
    - Targeting Array

Elites:
    Fireknife Shas'Ui Team Leader
    - Plasma Rifle
    - Missile Pod

Fireknife Shas'Ui Team Leader
    - Plasma Rifle
    - Missile Pod

Stealth Suit Team (5)

Troops:
    Fire Warrior Team (12)
    - Shas'Ui
    - Devilfish
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker

Fire Warrior Team (12)
    - Shas'Ui
    - Devilfish
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker

Fast Attack:
    Pathfinder Team (
    - Devilfish
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker
    - Smart Missile System

Heavy Support:
    Hammerhead
    - Railgun
    - Burst Cannons
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker

Hammerhead
    - Railgun
    - Burst Cannons
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker

Total Points: 1489

Additions for 1750 (Concept 1):
    Elites:
    + Targeting Array on Fireknife 1
    + Targeting Array on Fireknife 2
    + 1 to existing Stealth Suit Team

Troops:
    + Smart Missile System on Devilfish 1
    + Smart Missile System on Devilfish 2

Heavy Support:
    Hammerhead
    - Railgun
    - Burst Cannons
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker

Total Points: 1744

Additions for 1750 (Concept 2):
    Elites:

+ 1 to existing Stealth Suit Team

Troops:
    Fire Warrior Team (12)
    - Shas'Ui
    - Devilfish
    - Decoy Launchers
    - Multi-Tracker

Total Points: 1744

Summary: I'm aware that my primary HQ unit is terribly expensive. I am, however, quite attached to the Sunfire suit loadout as it lets the commander have an active hand in the entire battle thanks to a wide variety of ranges and potential targets. This loadout also lets the commander function as either a Helios or a Fireknife as necessary. In short, I really love this commander and would love to keep it at all costs. The purpose for the rest of the list should be fairly obvious - standard FoF setup, supported by Pathfinder Markerlights, Stealth Suits used for hunting targets of opportunity, and Crisis Suits used for hunting tanks/hard infantry. I was thinking of using the Pathfinders' Warfish (deployed separately from them, of course) as a mobile JSJ obstacle with a couple of the Crisis Suits, most likely the ones with IC status - particularly since the Devilfish can be landed to block LOS as well as forcing target priority checks. Railheads are always useful, nothing to dislike about them.

Anyway, there it is. Opinions on which concept to use to get to 1750 would be nice since I'm running into the number of shots v. quality of shots debate there, as would any insight into armies that this list is likely to have severe problems with. Lastly, as always, please do point out any idiotic or painfully obvious mistakes I've made (other than the expensive HQ, which I know about and accept as being risky).

Last edited by DarkKindness; December 31st, 2007 at 16:17. Reason: spelling.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, another Sun’O user on this forum. If you think he is expensive my other HQ is even more expensive lol.

Your Elite section needs work.

I dislike Monats because they never reap as much as they cost and are non scoring units. I suggest making your crisis into fire teams, which makes them more durable and an even number.

Your troop section looks like your defining section. What I mean is that it defines you as a purist because you lack Kroot. Did you mean to do this or did you run out of points?

Check you PF point total. Since I don't have the book on me or play with them I could be wrong, but it lookes like they squeaked by without having to pay for some of their gear.

6 vehicles! Such is the price for a purist’s style list. Once again I am asking you to clarify whether you are a purist or not, because it will make a huge difference.

More weapons vs. a few well placed shots. Once you go round and round about that question in the tau codex you find that ML's are just too darn expensive even when you bring PF.

PF's are the ultimate fluff, because they can bring you victory on a silver platter or they can bring you to your knees. Once again, if you are a purist then you might want to consider ML's, but if not you should consider leaving them at home for more weapons.

Over all it is a well made list but with three RH’s it falls into the unconventional CC builds.
    Last edited by spec.ops; January 2nd, 2008 at 20:40.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could be called a purist, yes. I will only be taking Kroot or Vespid as an absolute last resort and would rather avoid them. That being said, the reactions to this list have generally been positive from people I've run it by. Nice catch on the Pathfinder team - they're 5 points too cheap as listed, but, thankfully, that fits just fine into any of the lists. The new total for the list is 1494 for the base list and 1744 for the expanded list.

I feel comfortable with the Monat Fireknives because of their durability thanks to JSJ and terrain combined with range - it should keep them from getting shot at too badly and should provide plenty of time to do severe damage to anything attempting to assault them. Also, I'm rather lacking in points to make those squads larger than Monats in any of the list variants, so I think they'll be stuck as they are.
    Last edited by DarkKindness; January 2nd, 2008 at 22:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now that I know you are a purist I can now address some of these issues with some relevance.

Most purist lists have trouble with scoring units and even when they do have a plethora of scoring units they are usually weak to begin with.

Scoring Units in your first 1750 variant
    -SS's: 180
    -FW's: 260
    -PF's: 96
    -HH"s: 495

Total Scoring: 1031
    Total Non-Scoring: 719

Rough estimates because I didn't take the time to count every last point.

If your opponent was savvy enough he would go for the auto win by directing his efforts on one of your weakest elements being your most prevalent, FW's. While he is directing 2/3's of his efforts on your FW's he would spend the reminder 1/3'rd on your PF's. Sure I made it sound too easy, but at the end of the 6th turn they will be eliminated, leaving you with a couple of HH's and maybe just maybe your SS's.

To fix this problem I suggest scraping your PF for the sake of scoring units. Use the points to beef up your crisis. Oh, another thing you are lacking is MP's, please find away to packs some in.

If you wish to keep your ML's at all costs because you have two Mech FW's running about I suggest the ML SS unit. The ML SS unit is a scoring unit, works at 36's” with a stealth field, and reduces the number of armored vehicle’s.

Purist lists run a lot of vehicles, which is not a good thing. When a tau list is saturated with AV it leads to the bottlenecking of your units and leads to an auto kill from the get go if you don't have dusk dark in effect. I suggest slapping in some BASS's to correct this problem, plus they compliment the SS's so nicely.

You also might want to drop an HQ for more pts and less non scoring units, just a thought.

This should fix most of the elementary problems your purist list had.

Good luck!

+ Reply to Thread