[1500] Altansar Themed Slogger! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

[1500] Altansar Themed Slogger!

I wanted a themed army and I wanted to use a Phoenix Lord... hey presto! =)

I know there is much to do tamper with it still, but nevertheless here I go!

1 Maugan Ra, the Harvester of Souls (HQ) @ 195 Pts
    Maugetar
    #Crack Shot
    #Fast Shot
    #Acute Sense

1 Farseer (HQ) @ 103 Pts
    Singing Spear; Shuriken Pistol
    #Ghosthelm
    Fortune
    Runes of Warding

17 Guardian Defender Squad (Troops) @ 181 Pts
    Shuriken Catapult

1 Grav Platform
    Scatter Laser (x1)

1 Warlock
    Witchblade; Shuriken Pistol, Enbolden

Shuriken Catapult

1 Grav Platform
    Scatter Laser (x1)

1 Warlock

10 Wraithguard (Troops) @ 399 Pts
    Wraithcannon

1 Spiritseer @
    Singing Spear; Shuriken Pistol; Spiritseer; Conceal

4 Dark Reapers (Heavy Support) @ 217 Pts
    Reaper Launcher

1 Exarch
    Missile Launcher
    Fast Shot

Reaper Launcher

1 Exarch
    Missile Launcher
    Fast Shot

Models in Army: 61

Total Army Cost: 1493

The general plan would be to walk everything happily up the middle of the field while firing all that is possible: the farseer would join the WG unit, fortuning their saves and rendering them nigh unstoppable (unless one gets unlucky, that is...).

The two dark reaper units can lay some good anti infantry fire, eventually changing to anti-tank with the two missile launcher shots (not as good as brightlances, but they usually do their job!). I was musing on the possibility of ditching a reaper unit in exchange for either a warwalker squadron or a wraithlord, but it would be a bit of a model sink (after I started playing kroot mercs I firmly believe that strength sometimes is in numbers! ^_^)

Maugan Ra can sit with the WG or the guardians, moving up, firing away with his rending shots and eventually tipping the scales of HtH when needed as he is the only dedicated assault unit present.

Feedback? =)

- Just love that maki! -

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    48 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Kheldar View Post

Maugetar
    #Crack Shot
    #Fast Shot
    #Acute Sense
    He can certainly do well in many situations. .

1 Farseer (HQ) @ 103 Pts
    Singing Spear; Shuriken Pistol
    #Ghosthelm
    Fortune
    Runes of Warding
    This guy seems to only be able to do one thing, and that is join the wraithguard squad and make it immensely solid. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I would consider giving him another power, so he can do a little more. Wraithguards are already super solid, and have so short range that most opponents will try to stay out of their way. Adding this farseer to that unit will make it even more solid, but not add anything in the way of offensive power.

Shuriken Catapult

1 Grav Platform
    Scatter Laser (x1)

1 Warlock

Shuriken Catapult

1 Grav Platform
    Scatter Laser (x1)

1 Warlock
    You pay quite a lot of points here for what will often be 8 shots with 50/50 chance of hitting. General consensus is that guardians are sup par compared to dire avengers. Sure, avengers will not give you heavy weapons, but they will cost you less points, and do more damage overall in my experience.

10 Wraithguard (Troops) @ 399 Pts
    Wraithcannon

1 Spiritseer @
    Singing Spear; Shuriken Pistol; Spiritseer; Conceal
    Why upgrade to a spiritseer? That is only useful if you have a wraithlord close by to control as well. And with the amazing tank busting ability of wraithcannons, I think you are better of with a witchblade and not a singing spear. The spear is a tank hunting weapon, and thus unnecessary in this squad.

Reaper Launcher

1 Exarch
    Missile Launcher
    Fast Shot

Reaper Launcher

1 Exarch
    Missile Launcher
    Fast Shot
    These are nice. A long time favorite of mine.

The general plan would be to walk everything happily up the middle of the field while firing all that is possible: the farseer would join the WG unit, fortuning their saves and rendering them nigh unstoppable (unless one gets unlucky, that is...).
    Sure, the wraithguard are practically impervious to long range firepower. But like the other units in your army they struggle immensely if engaged in cc. A single marine squad with a powerfist will do a number on your wraithguard. Your army could really use a credible counterstrike unit. Both guardian squads and wraithguard squads beg most opponents to engage them in cc. And without a unit nearby to punish them for this you risk seeing 1/3 of your army tied up in an unvinable cc pretty quickly.

The two dark reaper units can lay some good anti infantry fire, eventually changing to anti-tank with the two missile launcher shots (not as good as brightlances, but they usually do their job!). I was musing on the possibility of ditching a reaper unit in exchange for either a warwalker squadron or a wraithlord, but it would be a bit of a model sink (after I started playing kroot mercs I firmly believe that strength sometimes is in numbers! ^_^)
    Strength in numbers is not a bad rule of thumb. Dropping a reaper unit for a wraithlord with brigthlance might be a very good idea. It can serve as a tank buster and is also a passable counter assault unit.

Maugan Ra can sit with the WG or the guardians, moving up, firing away with his rending shots and eventually tipping the scales of HtH when needed as he is the only dedicated assault unit present.
    Yes, he is only one guy. And he will be hard pressed to handle it all. I would consider including another cc unit. Be it a wraithlord or some scorpions, harlies, spears etc.

Your army is very interesting, and I give you thumbs up for using some rarely seen units. I do worry a bit that those rarely seen units make up so much of your army. The two guardian squads and wraithguard take up half your points. Also, you army is very slow. The only serious long range firepower comes from the reapers, and since some of your other units can be safely ignored for a little while you risk losing the reapers quickly.

/Arizzar
    If the radiance of a thousand suns
    Were to burst at once into the sky,
    That would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...
    I am become Death,
    The shatterer of Worlds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Arizzar View Post
    This guy seems to only be able to do one thing, and that is join the wraithguard squad and make it immensely solid. Not necessarily a bad idea, but I would consider giving him another power, so he can do a little more. Wraithguards are already super solid, and have so short range that most opponents will try to stay out of their way. Adding this farseer to that unit will make it even more solid, but not add anything in the way of offensive power.
    I concur, though the army is made with a smatter of 5th edition in mind (most of all the part where troops are the only scoring units), so an nigh unstoppable 10 man troop of wraithguard would be a GREAT asset for your army, whichever mission comes out (dunno what previews you guys have of the 5th edition, but one of them is that there will be only 3 standard missions, 2 of which have objectives to capture, while the last one is based on massacring the other army... and all of these don't use VPs!)

You pay quite a lot of points here for what will often be 8 shots with 50/50 chance of hitting. General consensus is that guardians are sup par compared to dire avengers. Sure, avengers will not give you heavy weapons, but they will cost you less points, and do more damage overall in my experience.
    True, but I wanted to keep the army as themed as possible and the only aspects that I wanted to put in where reapers. I could change one to a unit of storm guardians, though that would mean HEAVY converting or mail-ordering a couple of boxes... and considering the $cudos$ sink that the wraithguard are, I would like to avoid it! =)

Why upgrade to a spiritseer? That is only useful if you have a wraithlord close by to control as well. And with the amazing tank busting ability of wraithcannons, I think you are better of with a witchblade and not a singing spear. The spear is a tank hunting weapon, and thus unnecessary in this squad.
    Concur with the singing spear: any tank would be busted by the guards anyway... what would come in handy would be adding the spear to the two guardian units: never know when it might come in handy!

The spiritseer is there to make the unit a troop choice and as such valid for objective capturing in 5th (if the rumors are true!)

Sure, the wraithguard are practically impervious to long range firepower. But like the other units in your army they struggle immensely if engaged in cc. A single marine squad with a powerfist will do a number on your wraithguard. Your army could really use a credible counterstrike unit. Both guardian squads and wraithguard squads beg most opponents to engage them in cc. And without a unit nearby to punish them for this you risk seeing 1/3 of your army tied up in an unvinable cc pretty quickly.

Strength in numbers is not a bad rule of thumb. Dropping a reaper unit for a wraithlord with brigthlance might be a very good idea. It can serve as a tank buster and is also a passable counter assault unit.
    Wraithlord wouldn't be bad at all, though maybe a small unit of harlies wouldn't be bad either. Wraithlord would be able to ad a little anti-tank, while harlies would give a DEFINITE punch in hand to hand counterstrike!

Yes, he is only one guy. And he will be hard pressed to handle it all. I would consider including another cc unit. Be it a wraithlord or some scorpions, harlies, spears etc.
    I perceived this problem as well, but this is only a tryout and needs A LOT of refining! A single CC unit will be a definitive problem... will definitively have to put something else in too.

As said before, harlies would fit nicely in with the background too!

Your army is very interesting, and I give you thumbs up for using some rarely seen units. I do worry a bit that those rarely seen units make up so much of your army. The two guardian squads and wraithguard take up half your points. Also, you army is very slow. The only serious long range firepower comes from the reapers, and since some of your other units can be safely ignored for a little while you risk losing the reapers quickly.
    Sadly enough Altansar laks in fast moving units by default. I know that a unit of bikes would do wonders in such an army, or anything else that moves fast, but it just wouldn't fit in that well.

Maybe a small unit of warp spiders could be justified, being very warp oriented. They could be made up of some of those that survived the botched second jump and were found hanging around in the warp by Maugan Ra when he went to recover his craftworld... =)

So the main issue with this army is trying to get it into shape while still not spoiling its background! I pride myself as being one of the few players around that holds to an army being "nice" before being "good", so I won't give in on that! =)
    - Just love that maki! -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

After a little musing here is a new version of the list

Maugetar
    #Crack Shot
    #Fast Shot
    #Acute Senses

1 Farseer (HQ) @ 85 Pts
    Witchblade; Shuriken Pistol
    #Ghosthelm
    Fortune

15 Guardian Defender Squad (Troops) @ 165 Pts
    Shuriken Catapult

1 Grav Platform
    Scatter Laser (x1)

1 Warlock
    Witchblade; Shuriken Pistol; Conceal

10 Wraithguard (Troops) @ 396 Pts
    Wraithcannon

1 Spiritseer
    Witchblade; Shuriken Pistol; Spiritseer; Conceal

6 Pathfinders (Troops) @ 144 Pts
    Pathfinders; Shuriken Pistol; Ranger Long Rifle

4 Dark Reapers (Heavy Support) @ 197 Pts
    Reaper Launcher

1 Exarch
    Reaper Launcher
    Crack Shot

5 Harlequin Troupe (Elites) @ 162 Pts
    Harlequin's Kiss (x5); Shuriken Pistol (x5); Flip Belt; Holo-suit

1 Shadowseer
    Harlequin's Kiss; Shuriken Pistol; Hallucinogen Grenades; Flip Belt;
    Holo-suit; Veil of Tears

1 Wraithlord (Heavy Support) @ 155 Pts
    Flamer (x2); Bright Lance (x1); Missile Launcher (x1)

Models in Army: 48

Total Army Cost: 1499

Swapped a unit of guardians with one of pathfinders: smaller body count, but they are great if they have to hold an objective that's in cover. Furthermore they are capable of bothering the enemy quite well with pinning and random VP1 shots.

Swapped a unit of reapers with a anti-tank wraithlord and set up the remaining unit of reapers to be purely anti-personnel. The wraithlord can easily pop a tank each turn with a BL and an EML, while giving a little extra edge in HtH.

And with the remaining points I added 6 harlies with a shadowseer, for HtH counterattack purposes: the veil should keep them safe for a while, and once they get into HtH range they should be a-ok!

Any more comments?
    - Just love that maki! -

+ Reply to Thread