1500 Eldar army (newbie + friendly) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500 Eldar army (newbie + friendly)

Alright. This is a recent army list i used against a friend i play. (he's a chaos player.)
    Originally i was taking a small squad of harlequins + shadowseer, but i wasn't managing to win any games with them.
    So i decided to drop the harles and take a couple of beefy point melee units instead.
    I'd like some opinions and criticisms on what i've got here. Im thinking about investing in a 2nd Fire Prism and maybe some different melee units instead.

=HQ=

Avatar (beefy melee unit #1 protected by eldrad)

Eldrad
    210 pt (always casting 3 pyschic abilties, and a selection for pretty much every situation.)

=Troops=

x10 Guardian Defenders + Starcannon + Singing spear Warlock + conceal
    148 pts (meatshields for keeping the fire off eldrad)

x9 Dire Avengers + exarch + dual shruiken catapults + bladestorm
    152 pts (loads of shots supported by doom.)

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked starcannon + spirit stones + vectored engines
    165 pts (anti-infintry transport for the dires)

=Elites=

x5 Fire dragons
    80 pts (cheap squad of dragons for kamikaze tank hunting)

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked scatter laser + spirit stones + vectored engines + star engines
    170 pts (anti-inf/anti-lightmech transport for the dragons. travels as far as safely possible turn 1, and unloads the fun on turn 2)

=Heavy Support=

Fire Prism - Shruiken cannon + holo-field + spirit stone + vectored engines
    190 pt (taking down whatever is the biggest threat.)

Wraith Lord - 2x flamer + wraithblade + bright lance
    130 pt (beefy melee unit #2 walks beside the guardian squad.)

x3 Dark Reapers
    105 pt (small squad for taking down my opponents sv3+ units. small squad size because my opponents autocannon will opt to take out this squad.)

Total - 1505 points (yeah i was 5 points over, but it was a friendly game)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Renziroth View Post
    Alright. This is a recent army list i used against a friend i play. (he's a chaos player.)
    Originally i was taking a small squad of harlequins + shadowseer, but i wasn't managing to win any games with them.
    So i decided to drop the harles and take a couple of beefy point melee units instead.
    I'd like some opinions and criticisms on what i've got here. Im thinking about investing in a 2nd Fire Prism and maybe some different melee units instead.

=HQ=

Avatar (beefy melee unit #1 protected by eldrad)

Eldrad
    210 pt (always casting 3 pyschic abilties, and a selection for pretty much every situation.)
    too many points on HQ, be tempted to drop the avatar at the mo and downgrade Eldrad to a normal farser

=Troops=

x10 Guardian Defenders + Starcannon + Singing spear Warlock + conceal
    148 pts (meatshields for keeping the fire off eldrad)
    too easy to obliterate
    152 pts (loads of shots supported by doom.)

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked starcannon + spirit stones + vectored engines
    165 pts (anti-infintry transport for the dires)
    ~Ditch vectored engines, not necesary

=Elites=

x5 Fire dragons
    80 pts (cheap squad of dragons for kamikaze tank hunting)

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked scatter laser + spirit stones + vectored engines + star engines
    170 pts (anti-inf/anti-lightmech transport for the dragons. travels as far as safely possible turn 1, and unloads the fun on turn 2)
    again VE can go, on the whole, bit of a waste, why not take another squad of avengers, use the serpent to tank hunt with TL bright lances?

=Heavy Support=

190 pt (taking down whatever is the biggest threat.)
    VE can go
    Wraith Lord - 2x flamer + wraithblade + bright lance
    130 pt (beefy melee unit #2 walks beside the guardian squad.)
    no it isnt a beefyt melee unit, it doesnt kill fast enough, lacks attacks, at best it will hold a unit for a couple of turns but most opponents will slap it down with hidden powerfists
    x3 Dark Reapers
    105 pt (small squad for taking down my opponents sv3+ units. small squad size because my opponents autocannon will opt to take out this squad.)
    add an autarch with tempest launcher and fast shot, the unit should eat MEQs, and autocannon is all but useless because you get your armour saves
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheredanine View Post
    too many points on HQ, be tempted to drop the avatar at the mo and downgrade Eldrad to a normal farser
    Hmm. A normal farseer would be much, much cheaper. I just usually find eldrad a much solid farseer. Up to 3 psychic moves per turn (often guide/x2, doom/x2, fortune/x2.) Toughness 4, so he's never insta-killed by the warp. And a 3+ invul save means he's quite the tank for an Eldar unit really.
    But I'll see how it goes with a slightly cheaper Farseer.

too easy to obliterate
    Yeah. Even 5+ invul with re-rolls isn't enough for a squad size this small.

~Ditch vectored engines, not necesary
    I suppose one or more turn(s) of being able to fire the starcannons wouldn't do much.

again VE can go, on the whole, bit of a waste, why not take another squad of avengers, use the serpent to tank hunt with TL bright lances?
    Well I thought just in case the vehicle crew has to make an emergency disembark, they won't all die. But that probably won't happen very often. So another 20 points saved from VE. I suppose TL bright lance would of been a good cheap choice in anti-vehicle. I think I'll get a 3rd Waveserpent. Or maybe a falcon for the fire dragons instead.

VE can go
    Even on the Fire Prism? I thought still getting that chance to shoot the prism cannon as an immobile turret would be worth it.

no it isnt a beefyt melee unit, it doesnt kill fast enough, lacks attacks, at best it will hold a unit for a couple of turns but most opponents will slap it down with hidden powerfists
    Yeah i suppose when you look at it that way. 1 WL will only manage 1-3 kills in melee at a time. The best use I've had for him yet in close-quarters is taking out a whole squad of berserkers.

add an autarch with tempest launcher and fast shot, the unit should eat MEQs, and autocannon is all but useless because you get your armour saves
    Ah I meant to say battlecannon, not autocannon. My mistake. That thing likes to insta-kill my reapers so i was taking a small squad because :
    a) the guess weapon has a good chance of veering away from them. b) I'm not losing so many points when they die.
    Although i hadn't thought of sticking an autarch in there. Paired with a DR exarch kitted out the same i bet that's a nasty squad.

Anyway, here's the changes.

=HQ=

Farseer - Singing spear + Doom + Fortune + Spirit stone + Runes or witnessing + Runes of warding
    158 pts (i've taken witnessing for more reliable psychic tests, and warding because my opponent has a hard time using his sorcerer.)

=Troops=

x20 Guardian Defenders + Starcannon + Singing spear Warlock + Conceal
    228 pts (more wounds for farseer)

152 pts (mass shots squad #1)

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked starcannon + spirit stones
    145 pts

152 pts (mass shots squad #2)

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked scatter laser + spirit stones
    135 pts

=Elites=

x5 Fire dragons
    80 pts

Wave Serpent - Shruiken cannon + twin-linked bright lance + spirit stones + star engines
    155 pts (better anti-vehicle transport)

=Heavy Support=

190 pt (VE really not worth it on this vehicle?)

x3 Dark Reapers
    105 pt (still worried about the "battle cannon" against these.)

Total - 1500 (yay no points unspent)
    Last edited by Renziroth; January 7th, 2008 at 18:35.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x3)

First off what do you own? If you have some things that you're darn well going to play becuase you bought and painted them it's best if we know that.

I'd advise against the seer with all the extra stuff. If you really need two powers a turn I'd go with two farseers before putting stones on one.

I would ditch the guardians. Seriously that's 228 pts that's probably not going to accomplish much the whole game and costs nearly as much as two cheaper prisms!

Remember the farseer is an independent character. If you have units ahead of him the enemy can't target him. You could also stick him on a jetbike.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol are my army lists that bad huh? I know i probably have a lot more guardians than i need. And likely some not so good weapon choices.

This is my full army list anyway.

x1 eldrad
    x1 yriel
    x1 avatar
    x1 farseer with singing spear
    x2 warlock with singing spear
    x40 Guardian Defenders
    x2 Starcannon grav platforms
    x9 dire avengers + 1 exarch with dual catapults
    x9 dire avengers + 1 exarch with dual catapults
    x1 waveserpent with shruiken cannon and twin-linked starcannons
    x1 waveserpent with shruiken cannon and twin-linked scatter laser
    x5 rangers
    x4 warp spiders + 1 exarch with dual death spinners
    x1 vyper with missile launcher
    x5 fire dragons + 1 exarch with firepike
    x2 harlequin's with kisses + x2 harlequin's with fusion gun +1 harlequin + 1 troupe master with power sword + 1 shadowseer
    x1 support weapon battery with d-cannon
    x4 dark reapers + 1 exarch with tempest launcher
    x1 wraithlord with x2 flamer, wraithblade and brightlance
    x1 fire prism with shruiken cannon

And my chaos opponent has the choice of :
    * = his usual choice

x1 chaos sorcerer in terminator armor *
    x1 abbaddon
    x20 chaos space marines *
    x20 khorne berserkers *
    x10 possessed
    x9 chaos terminators *