1,750 Tau Tournament List - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,750 Tau Tournament List

This is my Tournament List. I really liked it. I don't know if I want to change much in it. Maybe I might lose the MT's on the devilfish for TL's on the deathrain squad, for experimentation. Other than that, more gundrones to replace the piranha may be my cup of tea, though I do like that guy. He is my last turn table grabber, and he performs admirably at that. Oh, and when I get around to converting another Crisis suit (he is still in pieces), I will make that commander have a missile pod instead of a plasma rifle. But, as it is, I am not touching that conversion. It is my most proud piece of work.

Tau Empire 1,750 Point Tournament Army – LittleBlueMan

HQ:
    Shas’El Battlesuit Commander,
    Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker: 97 points.

ELITES:
    Crisis Squad Alpha:
    2 Suits, Both with Twin-Linked Missile Pods and a Targeting Array: 106 points.

Crisis Squad Beta:
    2 Suits, Both with a Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, and Targeting Array: 134 points.

Stealth Suit Squad Alpha:
    6 Suits: 180 points.

TROOPS:
    Firewarrior Squad Alpha:
    12 Firewarriors, Pulse Rifles, 120 points.
    Devilfish Transport with Decoy Launchers, Multi-Tracker, and Targeting Array: 100 points.

Firewarrior Squad Beta:
    Devilfish Transport with Decoy Launchers, Multi Tracker, and Targeting Array: 100 points.

FAST ATTACK:
    Piranha Squad Alpha:
    1 Piranha, Fusion Blaster, Decoy Launchers, and Targeting Array: 75 points.

Gun Drone Squad Alpha:
    8 Gun Drones: 96 points.

Gun Drone Squad Beta:

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Hammerhead Gunship Alpha:
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock: 170 points.

Hammerhead Gunship Beta:
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock: 170 points.

Broadside Battlesuit Team:
    2 Broadsides, Both with Advanced Stabilization Systems, one team leader with
    Drone Controller and one shield drones: 180 points.

Turtles For the Turtle God!
    Shells For the Shell Throne!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    288 (x6)

Fusion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker: 97 points.
    Get another 2 commanders. They are more cost effective then regular suits (meaning that the only reasons to get only 1 commander is to get an ethereal or to get as few suits as possible).

Firewarrior Squad Alpha:
    Devilfish Transport with Decoy Launchers, Multi-Tracker, and Targeting Array: 100 points.
    The Devilfish should gain a SMS or lose the Multi tracker and Targeting Arracy.

FAST ATTACK:
    Piranha Squad Alpha:
    If you must... (I'm in the 'melt down all the Piranhas' camp)

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Drop the Target lock or add SMS (I suggest dropping the Target Lock).

I would preffer a skyray but thats just me.

I notice a few things in your list.

A distinct lack of marker light. A few marker lights could do wonders for your FoFs and your pinning tests caused by Gun Drones (I suggest either a Skyray or pathfinders to replace either the BASS or the Pirahna respectively).

You have no Kroot. Although they aren't as needed as they are when you don't take stealths they are still a tactical wonder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3)Information
    When posting an army list, be sure to include simple information about the list itself. Include simple strategies, tactics, how the list is to be used, what armies the list performs well against, etc. There is absolutely no reason not to include this information; it will help people give more relevant comments that, in turn, will benefit you more. Also, try to include whether or not you are aiming for casual or competitive play; often, this will change the comments given to your list. -Lost Nemesis
    It is a nice list LBM, but more commentary would be nice.

By looking at your list it looks like it has a purist theme going on, but I do not know for certain.

You stated you do not want to change it much, so how much is too much?

It looks like you are just asking for a general overview of this list, but is their any specific problem/s that you keep running into that you wish to get help on?

Etc....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    84 (x2)

Great list. Very similar to my recent (and very successful) lists.

The only things that I see that aren't 100% in line are the multi-trackers & targetting arrays on the DF w/out SMS. It seems if you want to shoot after moving 12" at a high BS, then you should be going for it with all 7 shots (i.e. make the upgrades count). On the other hand, 3 BC shots don't add too much to a FoF, so dropping both upgrades could keep you cheap and not lose too much effectiveness.

Also, on a more personal note, depending on how much fire your BASS squad comes under, perhaps a bonding knife? Mine usually die to mass fire or CC, not to running off, so it's not something I usually suggest taking. However in this case, maybe it's a good thing if you get shot at alot. Having a single suit run off could be annoying if you needed that suit to fire.

Just my two cents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Listen up you primitive screwheads ... see this ... this is my BOOM-stick!" - Ash

"I told you, it's not Pink! It's Light Red!" Donut on his new power-armor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replies guys.

I am up in the air about the devilfish upgrades. I totally see what you mean about the extra three shots. Maybe if I just got rid of the TA. That would free up some points for... Hey, nothing costs that much. I would have to lose a unit to get something out of those points. Maybe, if I get rid of the TL on the hammerhead, though I like it, and both TA's, I could get some SMS, but then I don't have the BS. Maybe I should lose a drone?

See, no matter the changes, it is only a couple of low strength shots, and won't make much of a difference generally speaking.

Allright, my tactic is usually about hiding, then overwhelming. Unless there is an enemy basalisk.

I hide all of my units, if possible. This is usually just possible. Literally, every unit. Next, I move my hammerheads and broadsides just into LOS of enemy tanks, but nothing else. Then I fail to take out those tanks with a series of ones. Next, I weather the return fire, engaging any enemy ranged units with my crisis suits, hammerheads, etc. My troops are still hiding. At this point, some drones may come in and finally take the enemy tanks down, or be a nuisance. Next, as the enemy approaches, I get in a turn of stealth JSJ. Next, I rush literally every unit I have out into the open, causing extreme target saturation, and engaging in a mild battle of armored attrition, staying out of CC and fighting the enemy in close range shooting. Usually, I'll have just tipped the balance to my favor so that I can win a straight slugfest.

Notable weaknesses to this plan: Space Wolves on Bikes with Scouts, and Basilisks.

I like my piranha, and he has won me many games by himself. I use him as a space set of gun drones, followed by a last turn sprint for a table quarter.

Lastly, this isn't purist for fluff reasons, or anything else. I just prefer the armor saves and strength of Tau guns over Kroot and Vespid. Also, I find that markerlights inhibit the fluidity of my movement, as my enemy knows where the pathfinders are going to be.
    I have been considering a skyray for apocalypse, and would like to try it out.

Occasionally I have tried kroot, and like them, but not as much as stealth squads.

Lastly, Vespid. 'nough said there.

Thanks for the replies guys. In typical BlueMan army list fashion, rep is being awarded.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBlueMan View Post
    It is my most proud piece of work.

Tau Empire 1,750 Point Tournament Army – LittleBlueMan

HQ:

ELITES:
    Crisis Squad Alpha:

Crisis Squad Beta:
    2 Suits, Both with a Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, and Targeting Array: 134 points.

TROOPS:
    Firewarrior Squad Alpha:

Firewarrior Squad Beta:
    Devilfish Transport with Decoy Launchers, Multi Tracker, and Targeting Array: 100 points.

FAST ATTACK:
    Piranha Squad Alpha:

Gun Drone Squad Alpha:

Gun Drone Squad Beta:

HEAVY SUPPORT:

Hammerhead Gunship Beta:

OK, here goes:

HQ - looks just fine

Elites - Crisis Squad Beta - w/o a MT you'll be firing only one weapon a turn which could conceivably leave them rather vulnerable. In my own Fireknife configs I take an MT in favour of the TA. Personally I prefer 3 to 4 shots at BS3 than either 1 or 2 at BS4.

Troops - FW Squads - just what I'd take if I had the points!

Troops - Kroot - Where are your Kroot???;o

Fast Attack - Piranha yes, Gun Drone Squadron yes, but a second GDS? Oy! Don't get me wrong, I like GDSs and always try and take one, but I've rarely been tempted to take more than one. For that 96 points you could take a squad of 10 Kroot with 4 Hounds and that would give you quite a different edge to your Army - especially if there are any woods on the table. As fas as I'm concerned, unless I'm trying out a themed Army I consider Kroot squads as 1+, the same as FWs.

Heavy Support - HHs - now here's interesting. You have TLs on your HHs but not TAs! Given the points investment in RGs and the need to hit with them I always take TAs on my HHs, it's simply not worth the few points not too. I also no longer bother with Decoy Launchers since I've never once had the benefit of them. I know they don't cost that much but their points would fund a better upgrade ... ... ...

Heavy Support - XV88s - pretty much what I'd take but I'd try and find the points for a second shield drone somewhere.

To try and "fund" the above I'd probably look at dropping each of the 2 FW squads to 10.

I agree entirely with your views on Markerlights too. Some folk seem to think that its very un-Tau not to take any, but I find trying to use them effectively as do you, to be just too restrictive to justify their cost.

All in all, your list is very similar to what I'd probably take myself for a 1,750p tourney, barring the inclusion of the 2nd GDS and without any Kroot, and with the few minor tweaks suggested above.

So you must be doing something right, mon little blue brave! ;Y

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Ravenscraig View Post

Heavy Support - HHs - now here's interesting. You have TLs on your HHs but not TAs! Given the points investment in RGs and the need to hit with them I always take TAs on my HHs, it's simply not worth the few points not too. I also no longer bother with Decoy Launchers since I've never once had the benefit of them. I know they don't cost that much but their points would fund a better upgrade ... ... ...

~ Ravenscraig ~
    Hammerheads come with a Targeting array as standard (thats why its BS3(4) on the profile,a lso you cannot take the same upgrade twice, so how are you paying for the TA. I hope your not using a BS5 Hammerhead , or paying 10pts for something you do not need

Blue Man

I would lose squadron of Drones and take a second Shas'El (FK or Helios multi), you will get much more use out of a second HQ XV8.
    Second I would lose the TA and multi on both Devilfish and instead pay the 10pts for the Shas'Ui upgrade. The boost in LDS will be much more beneficial in a tournie situation believe me.
    I am not impressed with TA equipped Fire knives, I would either go for another Deathrain squad (and give both teams Target locks, but I know you a bit iffy about that) and use the points saved to give the XV88 team another Shield Drone (and pay the extra point for the Shas'Elas Drone squad is 96pts).

I would advise using the Fire knife Shas'El (if you take one) to support the XV88 team, I have used a similar configuration for a few months and had a lot of success with it. Remember the Shas can leave the team if needed, but provides some additional ooomph to fire power and LDS.

One last thing I would advise is losing the TL from the Hammerheads (seriously they do not need em) and give the XV88 team leader a Target lock. This is a much better place for the TL and will really give your XV88 team some versatility.

The list I would advise is this:

HQ:

Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker: 97 points

ELITES:
    Crisis Squad Alpha:

Crisis Squad Alpha:

TROOPS:
    Firewarrior Squad Alpha:
    12 Firewarriors (one Shas'Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, 130 points.
    Devilfish Transport with Decoy Launchers: 85 points.

Firewarrior Squad Beta:
    Firewarrior Squad Alpha:
    12 Firewarriors (one Shas'Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, 130 points.

FAST ATTACK:
    Piranha Squad Alpha:

Gun Drone Squad Alpha:

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock: 165 points.

Hammerhead Gunship Beta:
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers, Target Lock: 165 points.

Drone Controller and two shield drones: 200 points.

1712pts total.

Now if you need some anti MEQ you swap out a Deathrain team for a Burning Eye team for 65pts each (TL Plasma and TA) and this would cost 1736pts. Now I am not overly impressed with BE suits, but they would give you some reasonably effective anti MEQ at 12" (maybe use the Drone squad or the Devilfish Drones as anti assault screens for this team. Just drop the Drones from the DF 1st turn). Use the last few points to bond the FW teams

If you use the Deathrains (always my choice, especially in vehicle heavy Tournies, Eldar anyone!!) then you have 38pts left to play with. I would give both DR teams a team leader upgrade and Target locks (20pts total) and bond the Fire Warrior teams.

So my ideal list would be this:

HQ:

Missile Pod, Plasma Rifle, Targeting Array, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker: 97 points
    (For use with the XV88 team preferably)

ELITES:
    Crisis Squad Alpha:
    2 Suits, Both with Twin-Linked Missile Pods and a Targeting Array, team leader with Target lock: 116 points.

Crisis Squad Alpha:
    2 Suits, Both with Twin-Linked Missile Pods and a Targeting Array, team leader with Target lock: 116 points.

TROOPS:
    Firewarrior Squad Alpha:
    12 Firewarriors (one Shas'Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, Bonded: 135 points.

Firewarrior Squad Beta:
    Firewarrior Squad Alpha:
    12 Firewarriors (one Shas'Ui upgrade) Pulse Rifles, Bonded: 135 points.

FAST ATTACK:
    Piranha Squad Alpha:

Gun Drone Squad Alpha:

HEAVY SUPPORT:
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers: 165 points.

Hammerhead Gunship Beta:
    Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi Tracker, Decoy Launchers: 165 points.

Drone Controller and two shield drones and Target lock: 200 points.
    1747pts

Now this list is very much like your starting point, however notice that the amount of units able to be targeted per turn has gone up. This can be incredibly useful if your facing something with a lot of transports or small units. The Deathrains, HQ XV's, Hammerheads and Xv88 team are all BS4 or better (with twin linked on 3 teams) and will do some serious damage, also the fact that they are BS4 or better means you can be confident in splitting fire (because the miss rate is quite low).

I cannot see you missing the Devilfish upgrades or the TL on the Hammerheads and the Fireknives are nowhere near as useful as the Deathrains (in my humble opinion).

This list can handle pretty much anything thrown at anti armour and is reasonable at anti infantry. However that leads me to the only place I really feel it lacks, Marker light support for the Fire Warriors and Hammerheads would really up their efficiency. Why have you got no ML support? is there a particular reason? I am asking before I advise any changes including ML's.

Anyway all the above are merely suggestions and I hope they help.

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Hammerheads come with a Targeting array as standard (thats why its BS3(4) on the profile,a lso you cannot take the same upgrade twice, so how are you paying for the TA. I hope your not using a BS5 Hammerhead , or paying 10pts for something you do not need

Nope, I was just being a total idiot (sorry, it's been a long week .........)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Thane of Ravenscraig View Post

Nope, I was just being a total idiot (sorry, it's been a long week .........)
    Hey dude no need for the sorry, I for one cannot claim non idioticness (is that even a word?). I just wanted to make sure you were not paying points for something that you didn't need to.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the great replies.

The real reason that my Crisis teams have Target Arrays and not Multi Trackers?

I used to have them as fireknives, but they just never killed anything, as everything was dead by the time the plasma was in range, due to my deathrains squads. Ideally, I would like to get another squad of deathrains instead of the fireknives. I just have to get off my butt and convert them. But I felt that posting a list of units I don't have yet would have been off the mark for me, personally.

Also, as Riki very aptly pointed out, another commander is great. I would like one with a missile pod instead of a fusion blaster.

But I'm keeping the drones. Those guys are worth their weight in gold. Really, I have experimented around with them, and I am sold.

Kroot: I find these to be too vulnerable. I know they rock in trees, but my experience is that it is very easy for enemy infantry to avoid these or demolish them. Also, their lack of anti-tank prohibits them from infiltrating forward against a tank heavy army (which are very common in my area, notably my Tau, and Eldar list, and myriad Guard). I believe the gundrones will do better. But I have used kroot, and I like them. I just feel they aren't the best.

Markerlights: I find that the my playstyle is very mobile, in fact it is rare for any starting unit of mine (broadsides excluded) to be within a foot or two of its starting place. Often, they are farther away. This prohibits the use of markerlight firewarriors, who will be in a devilfish or FoFing. Second, Pathfinder teams are too static for my liking.
    Stealthsuit marker teams? No thank you.

Lastly, the Skyray. I haven't played with one, but own the model. I will take one soon, in a tweaked list, for experimentations. But I prefer an extra hammerhead to the skyray, so far, and I only have 3 heavy support slots. Thus, I don't have markerlights.

Again, thanks for the replies.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast