Fighting IG - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fighting IG

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    43 (x2)

Fighting IG

Most of the games we play are 1000 points. For the most part, my opponenet plays a very static army using a bunch of heavy weapon platofrms (4 or more I believe) along with 2 leman russes and a basilisk. We usually play all missions except for all out meatgrinder and i barely win by zooming a jetbike or vehicle in the last turn.

In the usual game, I get pounded trying to reach him. Template after template hits my vehicles and troops. I was wondering what you guys think I can do at 1000pts to make a more secure victory. If I am unclear about something, tell me and I will explain it.

The list I usually run contains a mounted fortuneseer or guide, a group of jetbikes with a warlock, small group of dire avengers, small group of harlequins, vyper, and a falcon and/or fire prism.

My main problem is reaching his forces without getting blown to bits. His indirect fire with the basilisk really hinders me because then I reach it and he uses its direct fire. I usually get my jetbikes and warlock up and kill it but then my army isnt there to support it and its looking down two leman russes.

Thanks for any help.

"Thank him who puts me loath to this revenge on you who wrong me not for him who wrongd"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x3)

To take out the basilisk might I suggest a squad of warp spiders. Now I am no veteran at eldar but I know that they can blow one to bits. And remember make your stuff move whatever movement so that they get that special rule for being skimmers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit
    Geez, toon, your avatar changes more than Bill Clinton's campaign platform.

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Wraithlords with bright lances should be able to deal with Leman Russ Battle Tanks fairly effectively. They aren't cheap though, so be careful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sendaf... 2 russes and a basilisk in a 1000pt game? Sounds like extreme cheese to me. Here is a list to combat that kind of build.

Farseer w/Guide

10 man guardian squad. Warlock w/conceal and platform w/Bright lance
    5 Man Dark Reaper squad. Exarch w/Missle launcher, Crack shot and Fast shot.
    Wraithlord w/ TL Bright Lance

He wants to sit back and shoot at you.. Do the same thing.

Have Fun

O.T.

P.S. As an afterthought... How does he run 2 Lemans, a Basilisk AND Heavy wep platforms? Thats not a legal build..
    Last edited by OgreTyrant; January 21st, 2008 at 05:10. Reason: A thought

Armies to date:
    2500 Ogre Kingdoms
    3000 Skaven
    2500 Tomb Kings
    2500 Necrons
    3000 Eldar
    3000 Tyranids
    1500 Space MArines

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by OgreTyrant View Post

Farseer w/Guide
    I like this choice.

Like these, too. Awesome when you can stand in the open and still get a cover save. ^^

I'm not sure that these are a great idea... I don't claim to be an expert Eldar player by any means, but these units seem like they'd be eating a lot of bullets, and each loss will hurt point-wise.

Nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lovely Miss Drake,

Perhaps you are correct in that assessment of the Reapers. Taking into consideration your input I revised said list.

Farseer w/guide
    Farseer w/guide
    10 man guardian squad. Spiritseer w/conceal and platform w/Bright lance

Wraithlords are indeed harder to kill than Dark Reapers....

O.T.

Armies to date:
    2500 Ogre Kingdoms
    3000 Skaven
    2500 Tomb Kings
    2500 Necrons
    3000 Eldar
    3000 Tyranids
    1500 Space MArines

Son of LO
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

252 (x0)

Quote Originally Posted by OgreTyrant View Post
    Lovely Miss Drake,

Perhaps you are correct in that assessment of the Reapers. Taking into consideration your input I revised said list.

Farseer w/guide
    Farseer w/guide

Wraithlords are indeed harder to kill than Dark Reapers....

O.T.
    I really hate to be picky, but how is he going to deal with the Imperial Guard Infantry? He's got a ton of anti-tank firepower, but he's still going to be slammed by Basilisk fire plus whatever the infantry can dish out.

Here's what I'd try. *shrugs* Veteran Eldar players, feel free to give me a slap on the wrist or whatever for messing up your section with my crappy advice. >.<

HQ should be something cheap. I'm thinking Autarch with mandiblaster and power weapon kind of cheap.

Troops should include things that are fast and can survive a direct hit from a Basilisk. What unit can do that, you ask? Jetbikes! Two units of three Jetbikes while Turbo Boosting can likely remain above scoring until that damned artillery piece is dealt with.

Elites should be Striking Scorpions, I think. 7 men strong including an Exarch with chainsabres and given a Wave Serpent would probably do fairly well when it comes to cutting up units of Infantry in combat (though one would need to be careful. Guard aren't terrible strong or tough in combat, but if there's enough of them you can expect some pain).

Fast Attack? Probably wise to pass.

Heavy Support should be made up of Wraithlords with bright lances for tank busting, and perhaps a single Falcon with Holo-Fields, spirit stones and star engines.

The great thing about Falcons kitted like this is that they can simply Tank Shock the entire Imperial Guard battle line in a single 24" move (not sure if the Star Engines' additional 12" move would let you make additional Tank Shock tests or not. A couple turns of a Falcon swooping back and forth over their heads will probably make them break (especially if any pesky officers are dealt with) giving you ample time to grab objectives and the like with your Jetbikes.

*takes a breath* And now I'm going to move this to the army list section since it's become more of an army list thread than anything else.

Thread moved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I completely agree with all that you said Miss Drake. The list I posted for him was essentially cheese to combat cheese. In his original post he stated that his opponent was extremely static with a lot of stationary firepower. In retrospect I should have given a valid list instead of a hasty response. Here is a list I would actually play.

Farseer w/guide

9 Scorpions
    Exarch w/chainsabers
    Scorpion Transport: Serpent w/TL BL, TL Scat, Star engines

5 Pathfinders

5 Pathfinders

Wraithlord w/ TL BL

Falcon w/SctL, TL Scat, Holo, Vectored

total: 997

Scorps to hyperspeed over and drop 2nd turn, Pathfinders to lay supressive fire into infanty and weapon platforms. Wraithlord for tank punching and infanty when he reached enemy lines. Falcon for tank shock, infantry suppression and tank busting when needed.

This is, as I said, a list that I would and do play.

Hope this is better advice.

O.T.

Armies to date:
    2500 Ogre Kingdoms
    3000 Skaven
    2500 Tomb Kings
    2500 Necrons
    3000 Eldar
    3000 Tyranids
    1500 Space MArines

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Tend to agree with Katie, you are over compensating for the tanks, also you seem to have a lack of troops, half a squad of DA and a few bikes does not an army make

Pathfinders could help hugely as even his tamplates will struggle to winkle them out of area terrain, large numbers of bikes will obliterate IG squads and can use turbo boost early on to get into catapult range without many template problems, indeed I think a combination fo the two would be spectacular, smaller bike squads with warlocks with embolden and spears can eat tanks without much greif, the snipers can pick at command squads and the bikes can break his infantry
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answer to any one strapping cheese to there tanks is take about 4 small jet bike squads with shuriken cannons and a war lock with spear and destructor. use the big red button to turbo charge your way behind some cover just out side there deployment (dnt forget the invun 3+saves for the turn , then pick your targets, each one of them is almost garanteed to incapacitate any of there vehicles on turn 2, and the 4th unit can pick off a lonely heavy weapons group with its mass fire power and H flamer.
    them units are less than 550pnts and take care of your troop choices. just enjoy spending the other 450pnts.

+ Reply to Thread

LinkBacks (?)

1. January 21st, 2008, 22:55