Falcon Alternatives? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Falcon Alternatives?

I'm running a mostly ground-pounding force of Storm Guardians, Dire avengers (DS + SP), Warp spiders (H&R, SR), Eldrad (Or proxied for a farseer), and an Autarch (PS, FG, WJG).

The Heavy support I was planning to take consisted of a falcon (Starcannon, Shurikannon, fields, stones).

Now that the rumored falcon crisis is on its way I'm wondering what are some good alternatives to falcons for mostly ground-based forces.

+Note to Moderators+ Could you please move this to the army lists section, I posted it here so that it could be used to discuss what to do now that the falcon's future effectiveness is in question (as well as get an answer so it's two birds with one stone).

Quote Originally Posted by AlbinoAlien View Post
    "I am, Shiz_Vaerth! Guardian of Dyren'thya! Keeper of the gateway to the legendary, BLACK LIBRARY! User of the pipes, and wielder of the eternal blade of Dublin"
    Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Join the
    Children of Isha

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiz_Vaerth View Post
    I'm running a mostly ground-pounding force of Storm Guardians, Dire avengers (DS + SP), Warp spiders (H&R, SR), Eldrad (Or proxied for a farseer), and an Autarch (PS, FG, WJG).

The Heavy support I was planning to take consisted of a falcon (Starcannon, Shurikannon, fields, stones).

Now that the rumored falcon crisis is on its way I'm wondering what are some good alternatives to falcons for mostly ground-based forces.

+Note to Moderators+ Could you please move this to the army lists section, I posted it here so that it could be used to discuss what to do now that the falcon's future effectiveness is in question (as well as get an answer so it's two birds with one stone).
    assuming your want it for AT, a WL is a great option, or filling out with some serpents, although they are not scoring units, a couple of them can do some damage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Basically I want it for what the falcon could do with the aforementioned build.

What heavy support options make a good alternative for Falcons?
    "I am, Shiz_Vaerth! Guardian of Dyren'thya! Keeper of the gateway to the legendary, BLACK LIBRARY! User of the pipes, and wielder of the eternal blade of Dublin"
    Diplomacy: The art of telling someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

(Thread moved as requested)
    Shiz, I dont think I would go falcon anyway with this lot, single tank is asking for all his AT guns (would reconsider if you had WLs and Avatar) which will see the falcon stunned each turn and ultimatley destroyed, now this isnt a bad thing if you are drawing his "las cannons" off other targets, but there really are no other appropriate targets

hence for HS I would look at infantry, either reapers or support weaposn batteries I think
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Hmm.....Yeah, I get what you're saying, thanks for dropping in Cheredanine.

I've pretty much set myself on a WL with the EML + BL combo, for the following reasons:
    1. It it tremendously resilient.
    2. It can move and fire both weapons regardless of strength.
    3. A s a monstrous creature it has the extended charge range, bonuses against infantry saves, move through cover bonuses, and better rules for LoS and priority.
    I know I'm asking for it with this, but I actually want it to be a fire magnet to draw attention away from my troops and the Warp spiders. My main concern is wraithsight, I can make the storm guardians warlock a spirirtseer, but that dosn't help much unless they are side by side on the front lines.

I've thought about dark reapers, but because they are infantry that will be keeping back, they are meat for all my friends deepstriking and infiltrating units. While I'm trekking my three infatry units across the board, I'll be wanting a nit more securtiy to make sure that they aren't hammered before they can close to effective range. If I had the points and cash to spend, I would definitely get Dark Reapers, but all my experiences with small infantry units don't fill me with much confidence of their survival, no matter how awesome they are at destroying things from a distance;?. They ran a close second.

I hadn't thought of Support weapons. The shadow weaver looks to be the only one that would be effective singly, but I'm already set for S6 AP- shots and I ahve an aversion to guess ranges, If I was buying a whole unit I would go for Vibro cannons, but the S4 dosn't fill me with confidence in it.

For the purpose of advertising alternatives could we list some of the pro's and con's of the different choices? I'll start.

Wraithlord
    Pro's:
    As above.

Con's:
    1. Incredibly slow.
    2. Requires either Warlock or Farseer in close proximity.
    3. Is a massive fire magnet.
    4. It has staying power but is not very effective in CC.
    5. Size makes it difficult to use cover during advance.

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. A s a monstrous creature it has the extended charge range
    You sure?
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by ajay29 View Post
    You sure?
    Pretty sure, Id on't have the rulebook in front of me, If I'm wrong than my Nid player friend has been cheating for the last few years.

Can anyone else confirm/deny?

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

If anyone has any Ideas, would they please enclose the pros/cons of their choice.

Join the
    Children of Isha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty sure, Id on't have the rulebook in front of me, If I'm wrong than my Nid player friend has been cheating for the last few years.

Can anyone else confirm/deny?
    Im still waiting on an answer on the monstrous charge thing.....
    My rulebook has disappeared down the back of my sofa (literally, no kidding) and its keeping me up at night....
    Herald of the Colonel; Festooned with pistols, riddled with vermin, and finger lickin' good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

My nid mate double-checked yesterday and MC's don't have an extended charge range. Still gonna get one though.

Join the
    Children of Isha

+ Reply to Thread