Tyranids 1000 Good Times - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranids 1000 Good Times

HQ
    Hive Tyrant - 170
    Enhanced Senses, Extended Carapace, Toxin Sacs
    Scything Talons, Venom Cannon

Tyrant Guard
    Brood: 2

ELITES
    Tyranid Warriors - 90
    Brood: 3
    Adrenal Glands (I), Extended Carapace
    Rending Claws, Scything Talons

Tyranid Warriors - 90
    Brood: 3
    Adrenal Glands (I), Extended Carapace
    Rending Claws, Scything Talons

Lictor
    Brood: 1

TROOPS
    Gaunt Brood - 96
    Brood: 16
    Fleshborers

Gaunt Brood - 80
    Brood: 16
    Spinefists

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Carnifex - 148
    Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

Carnifex - 148
    Enhanced Senses
    Barbed Strangler, Venom Cannon

-------------------------

I frequently face off against an opponent of equal experience who plays Eldar. He tends to use a unit of Rangers, Storm Guardians mounted in a Wave Serpent, Banshees mounted in a Wave serpent, a jet bike Farseer with Doom, and a Falcon with Fire Dragons in 1000. Essentially, this list was formulated with this level of challenge in mind, but I want it to be useable in general, I'm not just tailoring a list to beat him. The multiple venom cannons should help with his skimmers, while my whole army slowly advances toward objectives, combat, etc. The Lictor, I simply like. Against him it will mostly be effective at ghosting his rangers and/or combat support. I don't expect it to do too much. Against other opponents, I figure it's a good distraction and tactical option.

I wanted this list to be relatively balanced, able to stand up to most things, but I'm not too worried about stomping anyone's face. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

"Our cruisers can't repel firepower of that magnitude!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Watcher In The Sky Beardy_Wierdy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    127 (x4)

You want one of the speed enhancing biomorphs on the combat warriors (Leaping or Winged) if you take Winged though, you cant have Extended Carapace, so bear that in mind.

I personally would try and find a way of grabbing another brood of smaller things, maybe by making the warrior broods into one 5 strong and making the two gaunt broods a bit smaller, but I just like the smaller beasties so...
    The name refers to facial hair, not playing style.

Quote Originally Posted by A news vendor's stand, London, June 1940
    French sign peace treaty: we're in the finals!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    -49 (x0)

I'm just painting up my first unit of Gaunts, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt if you please.

Cool list. I like the tactical options presented by having both the barbed strangler and the venom cannon on a carnifex. Have you considered the biomorph Spinebanks for them?
    I plan to model my carnifex with enhance senses, barbed strangler, twin-linked devourer and spine banks. It's a good deal cheaper than your carnifex even with the added biomorph. Your version has alot more range, however when within range a twin-linked devourer on a carnifex will on average make one glancing hit on a waveserpent every other round..exactly the same as a venom cannon would. The VC would give you a slightly better chance against falcons with holofield and would grant the chance of glancing land raiders and the necron skimmer-thingie. However, with devourer you acually have more glancing hits (on average per round) against low A vehicles such as rhinos and land speeders. The way I see it, high A vehicles you can afford to ignore, while low A vehicles more often have a dangerous fire/cost ratio. Against troops, the devourer will provoke the most armour saves by far (up to thrice as many on average). Even so, range is important, but it bears considering.

The Tyrant is the most important issue, the way I see it. When planning my army I found that it probably pays to loose all fears of my Tyrant being killed. Removing your defensive upgrades, you could field another tyrant with those points alone. I would also consider taking advantage of its Monsterous Creature trait. Thirdly I would consider if it's worth spending alot of points to be able to glance vehicles? I'm not convinced it is. While MC "foot-sloggers" need range, perhaps it's a better use of points to tool it in a more cost/effective manner. I've planned mine with enhanced senses, BS, Tl-Dev, Tox (and psi scream..but that's just my flavour). If you ignore the scream you can have 2 of these for the one you've got, and have points to spare. If you also remove the Tox, you're down to below 110 pts while still retaining an insane troop-killing/pinning capacity. (you're super-effective with a model you no longer care if draw fire). In comparison, your current tyrant is a good mid-low armour skimmer killer, but little else..and at a rather excessive cost.

Troops,
    I plan to be splitting mine up into lesser broods. It makes them more vunerable to loss of synapse, but makes them more ressistant to enemy fire and grants better strategic and tactical options.

Elites,
    I'm not sure I'm gonna agree with the Mr Wierdy or not. They would certainly be more effective in their current role with more speed, but they will also soar to an exessive cost. It may be worth it against your eldar friend, but then I wonder if retooling them for shooting troopkilling wouldn't be alot more cost effective. I plan to be using mine with enhanced senses, rending claws, Devs and BS. This makes them very cheap, sufficiently cost effective against troops (extremely fire/cost effective against eldar troops), but vurnerable if not in cover. They would however be cheap enough not to be a pain to loose as long as you have enough synapse. With your cc warriors against your eldar friend you'll currently deliver a mediocre to poor counter-charge when they drop out to shoot you. With shooting, you'll shoot right trough the skimmers he uses as a roadblock against your charge and with slaughtering effect. In addition you are starting to put alot of strain on his troops with all your pinning test provocations.

Quite the ramble there.. Good luck to you

+ Reply to Thread