1750 tourney list new to tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Big fish in a little pond raytard22's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

1750 tourney list new to tau

I couldn't pass up the rapid insertion box such a bargain. That said I want to make a tourney list using most of those models, so please keep that in mind with your suggestions.
    As the title says this would be my first tau list. I consider myself a verteran to 40k(2 decades worth of crappy dice rolling) and I thought I'd change it up a little bit with a new army and new style of play.
    So here is my first take at a list with some commentary/questions.

shas'el - vectored retro thrusters/stim injector/plasma rifle/fusion blaster/HWMT- 107
    shock troop- anti meq/tank duty

2x 3-8's - 3misslepod/3plasma rifle/2MT/leader/target array/HWMT- 201each
    standard jsj guys- skimmer duty/anti meq

3-8's- TLburst cannons/drone controllers/leader/bonding knife/6 gundrones-181
    anti horde( i considered using the stealth guys but some reason i'm sold on this unit? I added the bonding knife at the end because I had 10 pts left over)

2x Hammerhead-railgun/sms/MT/decoy/target lock-180each
    anti tank/anti horde duty

Hammer head-ion cannon/sms/MT/decoy/target lock-145
    meq hunter

3x 8 firewarriors/devilfish/sms/decoy launchers- 185 each

1750pts- 46 models/6skimmers

Feedback greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by raytard22 View Post
    I couldn't pass up the rapid insertion box such a bargain. That said I want to make a tourney list using most of those models, so please keep that in mind with your suggestions.
    As the title says this would be my first tau list. I consider myself a verteran to 40k(2 decades worth of crappy dice rolling) and I thought I'd change it up a little bit with a new army and new style of play.

shas'el - vectored retro thrusters/stim injector/plasma rifle/fusion blaster/HWMT- 107

2x 3-8's - 3misslepod/3plasma rifle/2MT/leader/target array/HWMT- 201each

anti horde( i considered using the stealth guys but some reason i'm sold on this unit? I added the bonding knife at the end because I had 10 pts left over)

meq hunter

32 views and no comments??? i guess the tau forum is not as quick to share it's knowledge as the chaos one? or this is a perfect list...??

Striving for the right Ravenscraig's Avatar
    In exile on Earth - currently in Glasgow, Scotland
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    144 (x3)

Quote Originally Posted by raytard22 View Post

32 views and no comments??? i guess the tau forum is not as quick to share it's knowledge as the chaos one? or this is a perfect list...??
    Well, just maybe it's because of the way you wrote your list ... ... ... As was said on another thread earlier today, if you want lots of comments you're more likely to get such if you take care over how you present your case and are rather more specific about what you're after.

Anyway, enough of that. Here's my views on your list:

I don't reckon it's perfect because I feel you neither have enough eggs nor enough baskets, but you have too many eggs in the few baskets you have! Confused? Read on, and hopefully it will become clearer what I'm on about. I've just been tinkering with my own 1750pt list tonight and it has 76 models and 6 skimmers - quite a disparity in numbers, don't you think? I acknowledge that you've taken the models from the RIF but I don't believe this constitutes a very effective tourney army when you can improve it quite a bit with not much extra effort (and outlay, sadly)

First of all you have VRT on your 'El. Why? Are you expecting to get into HTH? And stim injectors? Why? Are you expecting to have to take saves? If the answer to either of the above is "Yes", then you haven't grasped the very real benefits of JSJ.

Better instead to take the same armament and a targetting array with your HWMT. You'll then have a more effective HQ that cost s quite a bit less.

2 x 3-8's - 3misslepod/3plasma rifle/2MT/leader/target array/HWMT- 201each
    3 XV8's in a squad are quite a bit harder - and hence use - than 2. Consider dropping the squad size to 2 and taking one squad with the above weaponry (Fireknives) and one with twin-linked missile pods, with or without targetting arrays (Deathrain). The trouble with Fireknives is that you have a disparity in range which either means the extra range of the MP is being wasted or your firing them and not your PRs.

Ironically I had a very similar unit myself, but of only 2 suits. The 3 suits and 6 drones will be hard to use properly. Either drop it to 2 or consider taking XV25s instead, the points cost of 3 XV25s is not dissimilar to 2 XV8s as configured above.
    Solid enough but you might find the TL is superfluous. Personally I'll normally take BCs over SMS,simply because it's that much cheaper.
    meq hunter
    Same comments as per the 2 Railheads. I have the exact same units in my list - 2 Railheads and 1 Ionhead - except that they're a bit cheaper.
    Yep, same as me. But I don;t have DFs, instead I have 3 units of 10 Kroot, 2 with 5 hounds.

Basically your list is reasonably sound, IMO. You have pretty much the right stuff, but I reckon your XV8 squads are too big and you have too many (non-scoring) Devilfishes. You also don't have any fast stuff which might hamper you in a tourney. In my list I have 3 Piranha, pretty much for nothing else than objective grabbing and/or denial. Our lists are very similar but I reckon mine probably has the edge because I have a lot more figures and that is very important when you're up against horde armies. The extra 30 or so Kroot give me an edge in shooting, HTH and the added major bonus of infiltration. If you want I'll PM you my list if you'd like to do a compare and contrast.

~ Ravenscraig ~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    37 (x1)

Raven, thanks for the input,being new to tau and actually never playing a game with them only against them I don't claim to fully grasp the strategies and nuances of the list. I put together a list of what I thought was good models. I posted on the forum with the hopes that someone would comment on it. Thankfully you replied, my only comment back is the tau forum is much different then the chaos one. That said I have worked up a new list based on some of your suggestions while keeping my "mostly mobile" theme going.

Here's the new list

Shas'el: plasma,fusion,MT,HWblacksun(left over pts):90

2x 3 XV8's : 3 MP, plasma, 2MT, Leader,TA,HWMT: 201 each

3x XV8: 3TLMP,TL: 144

2x Hammerhead: railgun,SMS,MT,Decoys,TL: 180 each

Hammerhead: Ion,SMS,MT,Decoys,TL: 145

2x 8 Firewarriors: Shasui,bonded,Devilfish,SMS,Decoys: 200 each

16 Kroot

8 gun drones

55 models,1749pts

Member sniper drones kill things's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definately drop the SMS from the fish. You get more shots from the burst cannons and they're much cheaper. I only think that SMS is good in cityfight (doesn't need LOS).

+ Reply to Thread