Need Help with Eldar Combat Partrol - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help with Eldar Combat Partrol

Okay so I have a rather large eldar army 2500pts or so, that i bought off ebay. (all unpainted and unprimed... great deal... hahaha) The problem is is that I've never played Eldar (well since 2nd Edition that is). I've decided not to play with any unpainted and unbased models... so I wanted to field a combat patrol to get the feel of them.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of

2 Dire Avenger Squads (10 men each) with exarc (2xSC and bladestorm)

and maybe 2x Warwalker or 1x Warwalker and 1x Vyper

Let me know what you guys think, and if you could give me any pointers as to what I should equip my walkers with?

I'll be facing Tau, Dark Angels and Orks.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Consider swapping one of the units of avengers for something like scorpions, as not only is the 3+ especially useful in combat patrol, but the power fist option they have is very useful, not to mention the fact that you currently lack anything that fights very well in CC.
    For instance, if you came up against a chimera, your avengers can't touch the front facing, but they can get slaughtered wholesale by the heavy bolter(s). Scorpions with their move through cover and power armour are handy, not to mention the exarch being able to get penetrating hits on the side / rear!

I'd certainly choose a warwalker and a vyper, war walkers are great in low points games, but the mobility of the vyper can't be turned down. With regard to weapon fits, i think that starcannons and scatter lasers are going to be most useful, although if you face a horde the avengers can take care of large squads,. so i'd be more inclined to go with starcannons as you'll otherwise lack any low ap stuff.

Tau can field the best tank allowed in combat patrol, but it will go down to massed STR6 shots, the rest of the tau will keel over once you get in combat. You'll need the vyper to have any chance of catching those darn battlesuits though. Warpspiders or hawks could be useful here for their ability to close quickly.

Dark angels are marines, take lots of ap3 and hide somewhere. Or take some banshees and laugh at them

Orks, take more vypers, they can't lock it in CC, and probably can't shoot it very well either (being orks). The new ork book means that they WILL close with you at an incredible rate and be in CC before you know. Dire avengers are no match for charging orks (if played well they WILL get the charge).
    Last edited by Age; February 15th, 2008 at 20:10.
    If I've replied, i've probably used Italics...

www.goodbyeboltgun.blogspot.com - Some of my stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I play against tau and orks all the time, and I have a hard time with them with my eldar set-up. Take my advice with a grain of salt, as I am also here looking for eldar army help. That being said:

Tau in combat patrol are nasty because their guns have such long range. The one thing I have learned about the Eldar in 40K is, never try to outdo your enemy's strength. Outdo their weakness.

Tau are terrible in close combat, and you need to play them aggressively. That's hard at 400 points, and a good way to do it is with jetbikes (though it pains me to say it). Do everything you can to deny line of sight too. Stay behind cover, not in it. The veil of tears power on harlies might help, but the average sighting distance is still pretty high (14 inches I think).

Orks, on the other hand, need to get shot at. Distance and shooting are your friends.

Scorps are good because they infiltrate, but they don't have fleet... so they'll probably get shot up a lot in the first round.

I hope that helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

I agree with Age, my own combat patrol is one large bike squad and 3 walkers/vypers (varries) but generally my son has a great deal of sucess by splitting the 400 points in to 3 parts, roughly of 140, 140 and 120 points, the DA are a necessity, for the troop choice, and have an exarch but tend to be 6-8 strong, what really does the damage is scorpions, spiders or reapers who are the other 2 parts
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We usually play 500 point combat patrol around here. My standard list has only been beaten once out of somewhere in the neighborhood of 30-40 games, and that was a minor loss. About 95% of the wins were solid victories/massacres. The list that beat mine was 45 Fire Warriors with an Aun (it's tough to make those little buggers run when they have their Ethereal with them). Here is the list:

- 3 Jetbikes with one Shuriken Cannon
    - Vyper with two Shuriken Cannons
    - 2 War Walkers with Shuriken Cannons

For 400 point Combat Patrol, you could simply remove one War Walker and one Vyper. Do not forget your Scout move with the War Walkers. It is extremely helpful.

+ Reply to Thread