ork 1850 new to orks - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x1)

ork 1850 new to orks

i wanted to go with an all infantry list, i do not want to use any vehicles.

weirdboy-
    warphead

weirdboy
    warphead

x30 boyz
    shootas
    x3 big shootas
    nob, powerclaw bosspole

x30 boyz
    shootas
    x3 big shootas
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x15 kommandos
    x2 burnas
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x15 kommandos
    x2 burnas
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x15 kommandos
    x2 burnas
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x12 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x12 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x12 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

total-1852
    model count 143

i want to put the army on one flank then infultrate the commandos on the other and overwhelm them. the weirdboyz will join the troop squads and can either tellaport them or wagh or give them extra attacks. the reroll will help but i am wondering if in game play commandos and stormboyz are really worth it or would it be better to get more troops. i am also wondering about armor, i have the pk and the weirdboyz zaap thingy but is that going to be enough? thoughts are much needed as i have never played orks before i am a firm chaos beliver. lol sorry if any points dont add up im a t work and dont have the codex on me.

Last edited by Stinger989; February 28th, 2008 at 02:23.
    Chaos W/D/L 48/12/18 almost retired
    Orks W/D/L 13/0/0 Still going strong
    Space Marins in the making (Salamanders)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Outstrip the field

I can see where you're going with this, but one way or the other, I'm afraid it's not going to work. The field is either going to have too much terrain or not enough. Either way, you're screwed.

Unless the board is literally choking with terrain, there's no way you're going to be able to infiltrate three units of kommandos, not when they're that massive. From experience, there usually is only a single really good spot to infiltrate to every game, at least when you have units larger than 6-8 men, and have close combat in mind. You can reduce this problem by dropping one of the units, and instead of a nob with a powerklaw, including Snikrot instead. You won't have a powerklaw, but you'll be able to enter the field from your enemy's edge of the board. With either two burnas to help in close combat, or rokkits to go for back armor, he'll certainly be effective.

In the same fashion, unless the board is completely empty of terrain, you're not going to be able to move three units of them without slamming face first into buildings, forests, or each other. Stormboyz are indeed effective, but I can't remember anyone using more than 2 units in an army, at least effectively. You might also want to consider using Zagstrukk (sp?) to make them more effective.

Another problem you're going to have is armor. There is virtually no anti-armor weaponry in this army. What are you going to do when you have an enemy tank, firing from across the board, with 14 front armor?

First, drop the big shootas and replace them with rokkits. Also, instead of fielding 2 units of 30, field 3 units of 20-25 with 2 rokkits, nob and powerklaw a piece. Bosspoles are also nice, but not mandatory for large groups of troops.

Second, start with only a single unit of kommandos and stormboyz. Play with them, see how you like them, and then decide what you want to do after that. You might be able to use 2 of each unit, but I can't see 3 working effectively. Still, see for yourself, but don't buy metal kommandos, they're a rip-off. Buy plastic models, or just paint slugga boyz in a 'camo' style fashion. That's good enough.

Third, either break down and add some fast vehicles (rokkit buggies, bikes, trukks or deffkoptas, although my favorite is rokkit buggies) to help run down distant or fast enemies, or add some long range fire, like big meks with SAGs, Lootas, Looted Wagons, or Killa Kans. Or better yet, do both. As it stands, everything in the army has at most 18in range. A lot of enemy weaponry has 48, 60, or even 72in range.

Remember, the orks are quite possibly the most versatile army in the game. Their strength comes from having many different types of units, most of which are fairly inexpensive point-wise, allowing you to field a very versatile and complete army, capable of dealing with whatever situation the enemy might place you in. If you only focus on two or three types of units, you're going to lose that advantage.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree w/Grax on most points. One unit of komandos w/Snikrot is prime and heavy armor will give you headaches - you don't want to bank on PK assualts vs. en masse armor or skimmers, but snikrot can help some here. Also, Get the stormboyz up to 20 man squads - stormboyz rock, but at 12 they're going to take a hurting from even small arms fire (btw, stormboyz are not infantry and therefore can't waaagh fleet). So here's a thought:

Weirdboy-
    warphead

weirdboy
    warphead

x30 boyz
    shootas
    x3 big shootas
    nob, powerclaw bosspole

x30 boyz
    shootas
    x3 big shootas
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x15 kommandos
    x2 burnas
    Snikrot

x20 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x20 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

This leaves you w/385 points and 3 extra force organization slots (2 Elite 1 FA) to implement the tank hunters of your choice - be they tankbustaz, rokkit buggies, any of a myriad of HS choices, or a hybrid choice and you share tank hunting duties across the list (my favorite is the biker Nobz). I know this hurts the original infantry theme - but I'm assuming you thought the stormboys were infantry (they're 'jump infantry' so waaagh doesn't apply to them) and the things that are just infantry in the army don't make a terribly coherent list (if left all on foot).
    Last edited by Courtsloth; February 29th, 2008 at 20:03.
    Two's to kill. Ahh, sweet sweet music.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by Courtsloth View Post
    I agree w/Grax on most points. One unit of komandos w/Snikrot is prime and heavy armor will give you headaches - you don't want to bank on PK assualts vs. en masse armor or skimmers, but snikrot can help some here. Also, Get the stormboyz up to 20 man squads - stormboyz rock, but at 12 they're going to take a hurting from even small arms fire (btw, stormboyz are not infantry and therefore can't waaagh fleet). So here's a thought:

Weirdboy-
    warphead

weirdboy
    warphead

x30 boyz
    shootas
    x3 big shootas
    nob, powerclaw bosspole

x30 boyz
    shootas
    x3 big shootas
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x15 kommandos
    x2 burnas
    Snikrot

x20 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

x20 stormboyz
    nob powerclaw bosspole

This leaves you w/385 points and 3 extra force organization slots (2 Elite 1 FA) to implement the tank hunters of your choice - be they tankbustaz, rokkit buggies, any of a myriad of HS choices, or a hybrid choice and you share tank hunting duties across the list (my favorite is the biker Nobz). I know this hurts the original infantry theme - but I'm assuming you thought the stormboys were infantry (they're 'jump infantry' so waaagh doesn't apply to them) and the things that are just infantry in the army don't make a terribly coherent list (if left all on foot).

Courtsloth is exactly right. The list he's presented is very well balanced, and the only changes I'd make to it is to either find a way to squeeze in more units of troops, to take advantage of the weirdboyz, or to drop the weirdboyz altogether. As it stands, only two units in the army can really take advantage of the waugghhhh. I'd cut down the mobz of boyz to 20-25 each, with 2 special weapons (I still prefer rokkits) and a nob with a powerklaw in each team, and also cut out one of the two weirdboyz. That way, you'll have enough points to field 3 teams of boyz, and still have enough points to buy units to deal with tanks.

Courtsloth summed it up nicely, you need units to deal with enemy armor from a distance. Rokkits work well (either on warbuggies or in tankbusta teams), Lootas are also nice, and so do bikes, as long as you can manage to supercharge them around, so they can hit back or side armor.

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread