2000 point tau army, comp, needs crtiquing - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2000 point tau army, comp, needs crtiquing

OK, I have to be honest here. This is the first time on librarium, a forum, and the first time making a pre-list to any game. I have been playing tau for about 6 months now and usually I make a list just prior to the game. Although I am going to try to try playing more skilled players for since I have started playing I have only lost twice. Be that luck or skill (I am going more for dumb luck), that is up to you, but anyway, lets get to why i am posting in the first place.

I have made a 2000 point list I want to have for a base army that I can trade out weapons and various models due to the army I am facing. I do not care what you have to say, any comments would be appreciated. At the end of my army, I will list all of my models, so you can make your suggestions to swap out models from there for I do not have the money to buy new models right now (go college).

once again, thanks for looking

HQ:
    Shas'el IC
    MP, CIB, TA, HWMT

Shas'el IC
    MP, AFL, TA, HWMT

Elite:
    3xXV8, one team leader
    3xMp, 3xPR, 3xMT, HWTL (leader), HWDC (leader), 2xSD

3xXV8, one team leader
    3xMp, 3xPR, 3xMT, HWTL (leader), HWDC (leader), 2xSD

Troops: (weapons chosen based on opposing army)
    12xFW, one team leader
    12 PG, BK,
    Devil
    MP, TA, MT, TL

6xFW

6xFW

6xFW

6xFW

14xKroot

Heavy Support:
    2xBS (one team Leader)
    2xASS, HWMT, HWTL, HWDC, 2xSD

2xSniper teams

HH
    RG, MT, TL

Fast Attack:

Piranha
    TA, FB

Piranha
    TA

8xGDS

If you would like to help critique my army, this is all my models, and they are magnetized.

64xFire Warriors
    16xKroot
    8xXV8, with magnetic heads, so i can use one for two HQ
    3xStealth
    3xBroadsides
    2xsniper teams
    Hammerhead
    2xDevilfish
    3xpiranha
    10xGun drones, not including the ones that are on the piranhas
    6xShield drones, magnetized to switch some gun drones into Shield drones, but these 6 are always shield Drones
    Marker light Drone
    6xVespid, although i cannot get them to work well for me in the games i play

Again, thank your for your time and any critiquing would be appreciated.

Paintballert

Last edited by paintballert; March 5th, 2008 at 23:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Member sniper drones kill things's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if you posted it, but I love putting each one of my firewarrior squads in a devilfish. I find that it makes them much more survivable until you get them placed at the spot that you want, and then you could do the fish of fury! And for your devlfish or hammerheads I'd suggest a disruption pod for each. It can really be a lifesaver if your opponent gets the first turn and tries to take them out! Other than that I think it looks pretty damn good! Give my 2000pt army list a look too if you can! Thanks;Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that the devil fish make a giant difference. Looking at 40k in general, I would have to say that they are the greatest transport in the game with only 110 points for a 12/11/10 transport that has 7 shots, 4 of which does not need line of sight to hit at 24''. Although with my list, i do not know where to put it into for i would a full troop, 12 FW with team leader, to go into the devil fish. I have no idea what fish of fury is, you would have to explain that. And i dont understand why anyone would have a disruption pod on any skimmer. as long as you move it the transport, you cant get a penetrating hit anyway. I dont plan on it being immobilized anyway, its a 1 in 6 chance to get immobilized, and usually when that happens, you are not planning on that ship to be in the game for much longer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fish of fury is when you load up a devilfish full of firewarriors and then disembark with your troops directly behind the devilfish exactly twelve inches away from the enemy. That way your firewarriors can rapid fire the turn they deploy, and anything they havn't killed would not be able to assault. This is because the enemy has to stay at least one inch away from the vehicle at all times and can not move under it (same with your troops). If you position it correctly and your opponent doesn't get fleet of foot or a special assault thing your troops will be able to stay out of combat. They will still get shot, but they will not be slaughtered in cc. You can do this with two devilfish as well by lining them up side by side. If you put your fish about 2.5 inches apart the enemy can't move his units in between both fish or else he'll be within 1 inch. So, what you do is stack all of your fw's in between both fish's and shoot away! The next turn you can keep on shooting or hop back in the devilfish and go for a ride to safety. What you can do to further stop assualters is pop off the gun drones on the fish so that the enemy has to assualt the closest unit. As far as the disruption pod. That says any penetrating hit from more than 12 inches away will be counted as obscured (roll a d6 and 4+ will count it as glancing). This is very important if you lose first turn, because i'll bet that your opponent set up his heavy support to take some shots at yours first turn. The differences between glancing and penetrating are huge, so for 5 points the disruption pod is not a bad choice. (and if the devilfish gets a penetrating hit everyone has to disembark). Hope I helped. Let me know if you need help with anything else.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info on FoF, i had heard of a similar technique, but did not know that there was a name or how exactly to perform the maneuver. As far as the disruption pod, i feel really stupid for asking this, and i am going to separate it for others to see clearly for i know most people do not read an entire post:

along with the disruption pods, would decoy launchers also be a good idea for the skimmers, especially the piranhas for they do not have landing gear. it sounds good, but it is a 2 in 6 chance without the launchers on a glancing hit to a 4 in 12 chance to get destroyed, of course both situations still have a 1 in 3 chance though, but it is an idea that i would like put out there.

thanks again sniper for the help

paintballert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No problem! I always take decoy launchers on skimmers - well devilfish and hammerheads, or skyrays- because the chances of it being destroyed without it are 2 in 6, or 1 in 3. (on a 5 it's immobolized, but if it moved more than 6 inches before it is counted as destoryed because it crashed, and 6 is destroyed). If you get an immobolized hit you have another 66% chance of your fish surviving. Pirahnas are odd because they are open topped. This means that if it receives a glancing hit you go up one on the damage chart. So instead of rolling a 4, it is counted as a 5 and therefore immobolized (destroyed if more that 6 inches.) So for 5 points, decoy launchers give your pirahnas another chance to survive! Hope I helped ;Y

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yea, i realized how that affects the outcome now. Although now i am trying to figure out just what i should do to tweak this army to make it more deadly. I was thinking about another full troop of FW with a devilfish. I have two DF and a twin *V* formation with two devilfish and 24 FW sounds deadly

each troop with 10 pulse and two carbines
    2 devilfish with decoy launchers, MT, disruption pod, SMS, ta, (maybe TL for the SMS)

total shots into troop

40 pulse rifle shots
    4 carbine shots (pinning purposes)
    6 burst cannon shots
    8 smart missles

all for just two troop choises and one shooting phase

is this a good idea (Sniper,i already know your idea on this, lol) but anyone give me the heads up on if this is a good idea, bad idea, or good idea but to have a different configuration

Paintballert

+ Reply to Thread