500pt Competitive Force - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

500pt Competitive Force

I'm playing in a campaign soon which is slightly different from the normal rules - basically I think you only get 5 turns and its more objective based than table quarters etc. Don't ask me why I'm kinda stuck with it!

Now I have a 500 point force made up of the Hero and 2 battleforces that I bought and this will eventually need to upgrade to 1000 points. Does anyone have any advice for both situations? Bare in mind I haven't got the codex on me at this moment so no points costs listed - ill try to update them later.

Hekta's 500pt Waaaagh!

Big Mek with Shock Attack Gun
    12 slugga boys inc Nob with Power Klaw in Trukk
    20 shoota boys inc Nob and 2 Rockitt Launchas
    3 Warbikers inc Nob

Thats the general jist of it. I'm going to be facing Dark Eldar, Necrons, Imperial Guard horde, Tyranid horde and Demonhunters.....oh and I think either Space Marines/Chaos. In the 1000 points battle a Tau player may enter the fray.

How should I go about playing this army tactics wise and are there any gear or unit improvements that people can suggest, for 500 and 1000? I see a lot of lists using loads of Killa Kans and Deff Dreads......now personally I'm not a fan of them because I don't think they are that good for their cost (but then I'm inexperienced with dreadnought walkers so I may need enlightening) and having about 4-5 killas and a deff in 500 points is just plain cheesy IMHO.

I'm thinking for getting more models that I want a mixture of Speed Freaks/Horde Orks styles. I'm not that keen on random Mekky stuff like Kans and Dreads but I absolutely adore the look of bikers and buggies (not sure if Stormboyz work or not) and would love to see lots of boyz in the army followed with the occasional battlewagon.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding tactics, If you face Nurgle in your tournament I suggest you turn everything 180 degrees and retreat as fast as possible. Any fight on your part will only result in an embarassing defeat.

Peace and Love from Nurgle.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

3 bikes really aren't going to do much for you. I know they can be expensive (which is why God created Ebay), but you really need 3 more bikes, and the nob needs a bosspole. In a 500 point game this simply isn't possible, point-wise, which is why I usually don't run bikes in 500 point games.

I know it may seem excessive, but trust me when I say that every nob should have a powerklaw, regardless of the situation. Every team of slugga/shoota boyz needs a nob, and every nob needs a powerklaw. It's as simple as that. Here's my version of your list:

Big Mek w/SAG
    12 slugga boyz + trukk + nob w/powerklaw + bosspole
    20 shoota boyz + 2 rokkits + nob w/powerklaw + bosspole
    5 Lootas

Lootas will give you the fire support you need, and as long as you keep them in terrain and don't move them, they have as much staying power as the bikes. I like bosspoles because they help a lot in close combat, and keep shoota boyz from running away during the shooting phase.

When you upgrade to a 1000 point list, you're going to need more boyz. I have a simple rule when playing orks that has served me well: in a 500 point list you need 2 squads of ork boyz (either sluggas in a trukk, or 20+ shootas w/2 rokkits, or both), and for every 500 points added on top of that, you need at least one more unit of ork boyz.

1000 point lists need 3 units of slugga/shoota boyz. 1500 need 4, 2000 need 5, and anything higher needs all 6. A unit of nobz on bikes or in trukks can replace one of these units, but you can only use them effectively in high point games.

So for starters, you need either 12 more slugga boyz and a trukk, or 20 more shoota boyz. If you go with the trukks, you should also consider running other vehicles, like rokkit buggies, looted wagons, battlewagons, or something to that effect. That way, you can use the other vehicles to block line of sight to your trukks, and have a much better chance of getting them into close combat.

If you go with more shoota boyz on foot, then you need a weirdboy, upgraded to warp 'ead, so the boyz can get extra wauughhhs during the course of the game. For this list, more bikes would be appropriate, as you could use them as high speed calvary units, to run down your opponent's quicker foes. In higher point games, you might also want to consider using Ghazghull Thraka, but he should be in a trukk, as he walks far too slow himself.

It all depends on your playing style, but I'd definitely use what you have, add on another team of boyz, and then look into some specialty units. If you're looking to fill up a lot of points for cheap $, then you could always get 3 more bikes, give 2 of them powerklaws, and make it a team of nob bikers. There are many posts on the forums about them. Normal bikes also work well for filling out points in the army, as do battlewagons, special characters, boxes of lootas (especially if you use the extra parts to convert some burnas as well), and nobz in trukks.

Of course, you could always do what I did when starting out with orks. I just went on ebay and looked for deals. There's no such thing as a bad ork unit (except possibly flash gitz, but you could always just call them lootas) so whatever you find, you'll definitely be able to use.

Good luck!
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; March 7th, 2008 at 16:20. Reason: forgot one thing
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that advice mate, and I think I'll side with you on the bikes. Its hard to fathom how 3 of them will help especially when I've seen how nasty Tyranids and IG can be in low point games so I need more cheaper things.

I'm tempted to take 2-3 kannons rather than 5 lootas though or a selection of commandos for infiltration. Burnas wiud be very useful against the horde armies, but even the Kannons would be good having 3 blast markers potential each turn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

That can work

Kannons, in the big guns teams, can work very well. Burnas are tricky in small groups, because you can't shoot from cover, and being out in the open will make them vulnerable to enemy fire, or being assaulted by assault troops, which the Tyranids have in abundance. I think they work best in transports, like looted wagons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well here is a list I tried to make for 1000pts - unfortunately not having much experience with a lot of the Ork models yet I don't expect it to be a great list.

Big Mek with Shock Gun 95
    Warphead 85

Shootas x 20
    inc. Nob
    inc. Rockitts x 2
    inc Bosspole 150

2 squads of:
    Sluggas x 12
    inc Trukk
    inc Nob with Bosspole
    + Power Klaw
    inc Red Paint Job 152 x 2 = 304

5 x Warbikers inc Nob
    with Bosspole/power Klaw 165

Lootas x 10 inc 2 Meks 150

Big Guns (Kannons) x 2 40

If I did it right (was late last night) thats about 989 points, but I still feel the list is flawed. The Big Gunz were more to fill up space coz I didn't kno what else to put in.
    For looted wagons/battlewagons they have been tempting but I dont know if they make up their points (especially battlewagons or looted wagons with boomguns) or the best way to model them. Was tempting to not use lootas/big gunz and replace with loads more boyz for a green tide esque force.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

A good start

The troops look good, but if you have extra points, it wouldn't hurt to throw a few more shoota boyz into the footslogging squad, to bring it up to 22-24 boyz. There may be better options, but it definitely isn't a bad idea.

I'd find the points for at least one more warbiker. After playing them in several games, I'm still a little uncertain what the perfect size for a warbiker squad is, but I wouldn't field less than six, if I can help it.

I'd take away the warp 'ead. Without at least two footslogging mobz of 20+ boyz, you aren't going to get enough advantage from it. Besides a 20+ shoota boy mob, this list is either mechanized, or 'sit and shoot'. Neither will get any advantage from the weirdboy.

What weapons do the meks in the lootas squad have? I'd give them big shootas, so they can fire close to the range of the lootas, and still give you some shots if you have to move the lootas for any reason. Otherwise the unit is fine, as are the 'big guns'.

This a well balanced list, and the only thing I'd worry about is having enough anti-armor weapons. Also, I feel this list would benefit from at least one more vehicle, otherwise the trukks may not last long, as your opponent won't have anything better to shoot with his anti-tank weaponry. If not, keeping the bikes in front of the trukks might work, but then, they'd be the ones getting blown away, so it's your choice.

My favorite solution for both these problems is using warbuggies with twin linked rokkits. They're cheap and very effective. Unfortunately, they're horribly overpriced in real $, so I would only use them if I could find a deal on ebay, or make my own out of spare parts.

A team of 5 tankbustas in either a looted wagon or battlewagon also works well, but I wouldn't use the tankbustas without a transport. They'd be too vulnerable, and their lack of mobility might make their 'glory hogs' rule a real problem.

More bikers also work, as long as you keep supercharging them, from behind cover, so they can eventually shoot at your opponent's back armor.

Killa Kans aren't bad either, since they fire with BS 3, rather than 2, and aren't that hard to convert out of parts, as long as you've got some barrels lying around, from terrain sets.

Good luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather stay clear of Killa Kans and Dreads - not my thing and too many people use them. I keep looking for buggies but hard to find a good deal - however I agree that rockit buggies are nice and I shall keep looking. The Tankbustas in Looted Wagon are a nice option as well.

I'm thinking of acquiring another 50-60 odd boys (i kno a cheap source) to give myself variety in a mech list or a footslogging madman list (hence the weirdboy i may get as a backup list). From that I'd also be able to possibly convert some boyz into tankbustas - just need to stick lots of explosive devices on them.......coz not enough rockitt launchas thou.....maybe get the box set, but how many Tankbustas do people like to use?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Convert away!

If you have a cheap source of boyz, I highly recommend that you grab what you can get. Not only are they great to use in mobz, but it's very easy to convert specialty ork troops out of spare bits. Of course, if you buy a vehicle to act as their transport, it will probably come with enough rocket/tube like pieces to help with converting the boyz (although a rhino might not, I recently got one and was surprised with how few accessories there were, as Imperial Guard tanks come with a lot more).

If you don't have the extra bits for rokkits, then you need more bits! Literally anything that looks vaguely close to a rokkit should work fine, and one way or the other, rokkits are what this list needs. I'd look around for deals on cheap piles of bits, or just see what you can scrounge from what you have. You can also buy a set, but I think they're a little overpriced, given that there's only 5 per box.

Tankbustas are run one of two ways: cheap or expensive.

I usually run them cheaply, with only 5 tankbustas, in either a looted wagon or battlewagon. If you use a looted wagon, then you can also squig bombs, but I wouldn't use them when in a battlewagon, as you'll lose a lot of points if you accidentally blow your own tank up. In either case, make sure you have at least one weapon on the transport, or else 'weapon destroyed' results will immobilize it instead.

The other option most commonly used is 9-10 tankbustas, possibly even with a nob w/pk and bosspole, inside a battlewagon. I wouldn't use this team of tankbustas inside a looted wagon, as there's too much risk of it blowing up. This is, of course, really expensive, but they can be a real threat to your opponent.

In any case, I wouldn't use the tankbustas on foot at all. Their 'glory hogs' rule will limit their usefulness if they don't have the ability to move within range of enemy vehicles.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I like the 5 man squads in looted wagons - I feel even with Orks BS thats enough shots to destroy the tank you are targeting. Bomb Squigs for me are a must for fluff. The concept of them is just so Ork-like. That and in our campaign made up by a friend you can sometimes get brownie points/respect for keeping to fluff/interesting lists rather than cheese.

Yeah I need more bits - I've salvaged a few random bits and bobs from a box of old Tau that I had from ages ago. Unfortunately there isn't much there to help me apart from some big ass tank guns that would be amusing for a looted wagon boomgun - who says it had to be a Leman Russ cannon, why can't it be a salvaged Railgun? lol! Fits the "Don't Press Dat" rule more as well with Orks trying to understand Tau technology! A friend is helping me on bits as well as hes collected far too much to date and a local games hobby club will turn up some beauties I hope as well. Had these amusing conversion ideas:

Lootas - if you aint got enough shoulder cannons, make some obscure gun and let them use that. I had the amusing idea of multiple shootas or sluggas stuck together.
    Big Gunz - £7 for a blister is silly. But I thought whether a Kannon that uses 4 of the handheld Rockitts stuck together! May not be a cannonball but a quad-linked rocket launcher will suffice and get some laughs. Shame converting things into warbuggies isn't so easy I'm still stumped on that!

I'm hoping I'll come up trumps with the Ork boyz source - cheap sprues of boyz but without the Nobs, but I got plenty of Nob bits anyway.

+ Reply to Thread