3000pt Full Armored Contingent - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

3000pt Full Armored Contingent

This is a list I though of while working on my army list for a upcoming 3k point Apocalypse game at my local store, the list being a full Tau Armored Contingent. The main thing I am wondering here is, would this list actually do well? I know that the IG version of it can do quite well, but it can hurl a much, much larger number of shots down range (it also will have more tanks, since they are somewhat cheaper).

==Armored Contingent Epsilon==

=Armored Interdiction Cadre Alpha=
    Hammerhead- Railgun, SMS, TL, MT, DL, DP, FL, TA -- 195
    ==635

=Armored Interdiction Cadre Bravo=
    ==635

=Armored Interdiction Cadre Charlie=
    Hammerhead- Railgun, SMS, TL, MT, DL, TA, Seeker Missile x1 -- 190
    ==620

=Armored Interdiction Cadre Delta=
    Hammerhead- Railgun, SMS, TL, MT, DL, TA -- 180
    ==590

=Armored Interdiction Cadre Echo=
    Sky Ray- SMS, TA, DL, TL, NW ML x2, Seeker Missile x6 -- 155
    ==515

===Total Cost: 2995

With 15 Hammerhead chassis I think it would be fairly resilient against most armies. The massed railguns (along with the BS 5 they will most likely all be shooting at) would allow it to chew through any enemy armor in short order though I am concerned with how it would deal with a infantry heavy/ horde type list since it is lacking in number of shots (particularly against 2+/3+ infantry). Do any of you have any thoughts on this matter?

Thanks,
    Vesper.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks cool, but i have no idea if you can stack targeting arrays upon each other. Granted you are only putting one TA on it as an upgrade, but it already has one. and if that is the case, could you stack other things like FL or DL do deal more damage or make multiple re-rolls?

Paintballert

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too much of a good thing is a bad thing for the opponent lol!

I like it but what if the opponent decided to field tons of Daemon Princes w/ wings and that kinky lashy thingy (not that the lash will affect you, but you get my drift)? You can't them all, and they will reach your overcrowded lines with a furry!

Thoughts:
    I have never read the Apoc book but if you can field unlimited HQ's why not toss in a few?

Some IH's could really help besides those SR's

And if you still don't like those suggestions how about more Rail Heads lol.
    If you rep me please leave your name or PM me so I can thank you, or even pass on the favor.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    31 (x1)

The thing with any army, is that if you design it to go against any one thing, it's going to kick ass against that thing, but do poorly against everything else logically speaking. In Apocolypse, you've never sure what you're going to face since all bets are off. You can no longer count on fighting 1 HQ and 2 Troops, they might have nothing but vehicles in which you'll do great, or they'll have 100s of models on the field, in which you'll get swarmed.

I've come to realize that you should go in with something you think would be fun, and just have fun with it. Have you thought about using specialized formations? I'm sure Tau have some good ones. I know you have the flying fortress that can carry armies on your side, maybe through that in there if you can spare roughly 2k pts.
    You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you guys for the quick reply.

@Paintballert: I didn't (and you can't) stack the TA. I just listed the TA for the Hammerheads since I was including the integrated equipment for the Skyray (NW ML & Seeker missiles) and wanted to be consistent.

The BS 5 is because of the formation they are in (the Armored Interdiction Cadre). This formation costs a bit (only around the price of a Crisis suit) but gives the group of hammerheads/sky rays free markerlight counters (counters, no shots, so you always get a few of them, I don't even think you need LoS to get them, technically). Although the number you get is randomized a bit, you will most likely get enough to give every tank in the formation BS 5, which makes them considerably deadlier.

@ Spec.ops: This list was primarily a theoretical construct, since I do not have the models to field it (yet), lacking a few hammerhead chassis. This is part of the reason for the serious skew towards tanks. It is also due to my long standing love of the concept of a Armored Company (and, had I not learned prior to starting my second army, currently TK chaos, that ACs where not going to be allowed in the official tournaments, I would have started one of them). There is just nothing quite like a dozen plus tanks rolling (or hovering) out onto the battlefield. The actual list I am going to be fielding for the Apoc. game can be found here: http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...ypse-list.html (though tank heavy, it is much more balanced).

As to the IH, I have been on hiatus from WH for the better part of a year now but back then it seemed that the general concensus was that RG where better than IH the good majority of situations since you could usually get enough troops under the submunition blast to make is usefull even against MEQ. Has the view shifted?

@Revelations: see above comments. Overall, I do not think the Tau formations are all that great (excepting the Armored Interdiction Force, which is like a strong, strong narcotic for Tau IMO). As to the Manta, if I had one I would field it if for no other reason than to see my opponents face why I plunk down a model nearly a meter wide. Sadly, its cost is as impressive as its size and general awesomness (nearly $1600).

+ Reply to Thread