A begginers atempt at 1500 Pts - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A begginers atempt at 1500 Pts

Hello, Im relativly new to 40k and with no army I have descided to collect necrons. I say relativly new because I played for 6 months when I was about and well due to my immaturity and not looking after my SM army containing over 2000 Pts worth of stuff I no longer have it. Which is a shame. As it was like £300 down the drain as I had Terminators and plenty of assault and tactical marines (I mean ALOT). Anyway I have bought a codex and read it page to page and here is what I have come up with after thinking for a while what I'd like. Two of my freinds are devoted players and so I will most likely be playing Eldar, Chaos, Tau and Tyranids alot though not much of the Tyranids.

As Close to 1500 Points as possible.

HQ 155 Pts

Necron Lord
    - Staff Of Light, Destroyer Body, Phylactery

Elites

None

Troops 720 Pts

Necron Warriors Alpha Squad -
    20 Warriors
    Necron Warriors Beta Squad - 20 Warriors

Fast Attack 393 Pts

Scarab Swarms -
    10 Swarm Bases
    Destroyers - 3 Destroyers
    Wraiths - 3 Wraiths

Heavy Support 235 Pts

Monolith -
    Monolith

Ok this is how I see the army.

Necron Lord
    As I hate deep striking I descided to make this guy a destroyer lord and stayed away from VoD. I was going to take a Ro but descided not to as thaty would require him to stay close to the warriors and thats not what I wanted him for. This guy would be with the Destroyers at all times with a Hit And Run tactic useing cover being used.

Necron Warriors
    I acctualy see these guy as double edged sword. On one side Leadership, Strength 4, WS 4, BS a 3+ save is cool. But the 2 Initiative and chance of WBB not working really sucks. So these guys will stay back as much a spossible sometimes crawling forward to take advantage of there Rapid Fire. I will use Monolith for Tripple Saves.

Scarab Swarm
    These guys will be used to tie up stuff using cover to get to what I deem the biggest threat to the rest of the army that these little buggers can charge.

Destroyers
    Hit and Run stuff to death.

Wraiths
    Will be used to cut stuff intol pieces where nescesarry I watched a game with Necrons against Space marines and these guys screwed the Space Marines over continously. Also who can resist that Initiative 6 and 3+ Invunreble.

Monolith
    Tripple Saves! Also useful for takeing out anything that gets to close. Most of the Necron Warriors will remain within 12 Inches of this thing against assaulty armies.

What do you think?

I will be buying this when I get the money over the next 4+ Months. This is built with the battle force in mind as then all I would need is a box of warriors 3 wraiths a lord and monolith.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

hi

O.k this is going to be quick, but first, get rid of the desroyer body on your lord and give him a res orb IT IS A MUST and stick him with your warriors, a small point but split your warriors into 4 squads for versitility, i think your a bit overkill with the scarabs, mabye 6 bases, finally i not a big fan of wraiths despite the 3+ invun save, so with the points from the saved scarabs, take of the waraths and add another squad of destroyers,

You could just ignore what i jsut said but im just trying to help, hope it does,

Gilli

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome,

So I took a quick scan of your list. So you can not put enough of a price on the necron lord with res orb. I will point out that your lord will be doing nothing dancing out there with the Destroyers. even using hit and run, they would be in assault range whenever the lord could shoot, and you never want your destroyers in charge range, they could do the same thing with out the lord at a much farther range. The only use he would have would be with a res orb to bring them back after all 3 were killed. Wraiths are all flash and all substance. The only time I see decent performance with them is when teamed with a destroyer lord. On there own they do not have that much pop unless fighting GEQ. But they are good at objective grabbing. Mostly you will find them going down to bolter/HB fire and when all 3 drop, no WBB for them.

So consider a resorb lord, after that you can give him what ever other wargear you would like. Wraiths can be good but must be used very carefully hitting 5 man squads of light guys. Probably better off upping the destroy squads with the points. then upgrade your scarabs with disrupter claws.

Hope that helps some

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question. How is 10 Scarabs in a Scarab Swarm over kill it allows them to do the Job I want them to more effectivly. Also keeping the Necron Lord with the warriors means he wont be shooting anything meaning he just stands their.... Waste in my opinion.
    Last edited by BladeIntheDark; March 12th, 2008 at 23:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Your list is over 1500 and therefore illegal in any tournament to start.

The job of scarabs is to die, 10 is by no means unnecessary that many could actually win CC, keep them. Don't give them disruption fields, use your destroyers, warriors, or Monolith to take down vehicles. Your scarabs are better used mucking up the enemy's command squad, elite CC squads, heavy weapon squads...whatever's dishing out the most damage to you that you don't need to immediately die but want it to go away for a little while.

For the warriors, you don't need that many,drop 10, split into 3 squads of 10.

Destroyer lord is fine, drop the phylactery, they're unnecessary on such a tough model, get a res orb and phase shifter. This is called a Wraithlord, they go around with Wraiths and make stuff die. ;Y
    (so for the Wraithlord that's Destroyer body, Phase Shifter, Rez orb)
    This is called a Wraithflight, and largely popular.
    Lords aren't all that good at shooting they have a WONDERFUL gun, but not enough range and I usually find their number of hits lacking. Keep the SoL though it's better then warscythe.

the remaining points can be used to either fill out your destroyer squad to 5 (drop a scarab for this)
    add 5 warriors OR (and this is my suggestion) take a squad of 5 flayed ones. these will infiltrate and jump in quick to allow time for the rest of your army to move in.

My suggested list is....

Lord: DB, RO, PS = 200
    Flayed ones X5 = 90
    Warriors X30 = 540 (3 squads)
    Destroyers X4 = 200
    Scarabs X9 = 108
    Wraiths X3 = 123
    Monolith = 235

Total = 1496
    PO = 10

Oh
    and Welcome to LO and the Necrons
    Last edited by Alzer; March 12th, 2008 at 23:27.

King of Librarium's Tombs Phoenix's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    579 (x8)

Working from the original list:

DLord is fine, and awesome if you join him to the Wraith unit. Have the Scarabs in support though. FYI you have the Lord overcosted by 10pts, and also loose Phylactry anyway. Give him the Phaser and a Resorb (Even bringing back 1 Wraith will make it worthwhile)

As for the Warriors, split them up into units of 10. Then consider dropping one to get a 4th Destroyer and some Immortals. Also maybe loose a Scarab base or two, and try and get 4 Flayed Ones in too. If you want, loose another 10 Warriors and get in 2 units of 5 FOs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok this is how I think I'll go.

HQ

Necron Lord - Resurection Orb, Staff Of Light, Destroyer Body and Phase Shifter 200 Pts

Elites

Flayed Ones - 6 Models 108 Pts Troops

Necron Warriors Squad - 10 Warriors 180 Pts

Fast Attack

Scarab Swarms - 10 Bases 120 Pts
    Destroyers - 3 Destroyers 150 Pts
    Wraiths - 3 Wraiths 123 Pts

Heavy Support

Monolith - 235 Pts

Coming to... 1476 Pts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    103 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeIntheDark View Post
    Ok this is how I think I'll go.

HQ

Necron Lord - Resurection Orb, Staff Of Light, Destroyer Body and Phase Shifter 200 Pts

Elites

Flayed Ones - 6 Models 108 Pts Troops

Fast Attack

Scarab Swarms - 10 Bases 120 Pts
    Destroyers - 3 Destroyers 150 Pts
    Wraiths - 3 Wraiths 123 Pts

Heavy Support

Monolith - 235 Pts

Coming to... 1476 Pts
    Your right on about the necron tactics, however some of your units are a little exposed to not applying for WWB which if you want to use it or not your still paying points for it. It's a solid list but my suggestion is too go just 2 x 10 warriors , Destroyer lord w/ res orb , PERSONALLY I would drop the flayed ones and look into getting a sqaud of 7 immortals (my favourite unit :rofl) your fast attack looks good consider trying to fill out the destroyer sqaud , and heavy supportl; hard to go wrong with the monolith. Overall the list looks good as is, and it seems you've got the tactical idea of necrons down already. However the best advice for a list that I or anyone else can give you is too try out different units and see what army works best for you, it seems like some people are so stuck in what works for them they give perfectly effective units and army lists a bad reputation. This has happened to me with wraiths for a while everyone seemed down on them but I've started to feild a unit of them again and they work great although I had to drop my scarab swarms to feild my 2x5 destroyer sqauds it was'nt a bad decision. I can always switch it up if my opponents get to comfortable with wraiths. I hope this could help.

+ Reply to Thread