1000p tyranids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1000p tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1000p tyranids

Hive fleet mammoth 1000p

HQ:

HIVE TYRANT 198p

2xscything talons
    Toxin sacs
    Adrenal gland (+WS)
    Wings
    flesh hooks
    implant attack

HIVE MIND POWER:
    Warpfield 35p

TROOPS:
    -Genstealers:

Genstealer Brood of 7: 7*27=189p

extended carpace
    Scything talons
    implant attack

-18 Termagaunts:=162

Two Termagaunts Broods of 9:

Toxin sacs

-16 Hormagaunts:200p

Two Hormagaunt Broods=200p

One vanilla:
    Toxin sac

The second:
    Adrenal glan (+I)
    Toxin sacs

Fast attack:

6 Raveners, Brood of One: =250

All 5:
    scything and Rending talons

The 6th with devouer and rending:
    Devouer

999p army

My army is and will in the future be mainly HtH oriented, so no shooty stuff and such like.
    The 6th ravener is an old model, and i`m very fond of her .

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first of all, you should take off the individual point costs of things, its ok for the whole model or unit, but not for individual stuff (if a mod doesn't get to it first)

now that thats out of the way. I've never seen anyone who liked devourers on raveners, I dont know if thats because they arent effective or not worth the points, I'm sure someone can expand on that. I think 4 groups of 8 naked spinegaunts would be better than the terms you have, the raveners, genestealers, and tyrant (sometimes hormies) deal the damage and the gaunts would be good cover and tie up units. also not sure the genestealers need the implant attack, the extra points are still on very vulnerable models (to shooting anyways)
    last but not least, you might want to think about something to take out tanks a little easier, HtH is cool, but a little bit of support fire for those nasty tanks could be useful I think.

hope this helps, and remember, I am by no means an expert and feel free to take or not take whatever advice you want.

pen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand that you want the theme to be "Close combat army of death", so I'll try and give you advice bearing this in mind. (I would recommend a shooty army, but if you want HtH, we should of course help you with that instead)
    Quote Originally Posted by lilgaunt View Post
    [SIZE=2] Hive fleet mammoth 1000p

HQ:

HIVE TYRANT 198p

2xscything talons
    Toxin sacs
    Adrenal gland (+WS)
    Wings
    flesh hooks
    implant attack

HIVE MIND POWER:
    Warpfield
    This one is looking good. The implant attack I'm not so sure about unless you're out characterhunting, So if you -after playing some games- notice that it doesn't really help you, concider dropping it.
    TROOPS:
    -Genstealers:

Genstealer Brood of =189p

extended carpace
    Scything talons
    implant attack
    These ones are too expensive. You won't need implant attack on them (Only works well with units that have 2wound/model or more, which is pretty rare). And add one genestealer to the brood, if you have 8 instead of 7 it's harder for the opponent to get victory points for killing it. Might want to skip scything talons OR extended carapace also, if you want even more points for other goodies.

Toxin sacs
    Skip these ones, you can buy spinegaunts instead (You can get 4 squads of 8/ 3 squads of 12~. The reaver has some good advice)

One vanilla:
    Toxin sac

The second:
    Adrenal glan (+I)
    Toxin sacs
    These work in your list only because you've got stealers & are focused on CC. I would however drop all upgrades from them. These guys are supposed to get into CC as fast as possible and tie up enemy units so that your stealers can arrive.

Fast attack:

All 5:

Devouer
    Skip the upgrades (Except rending claws), and split them up as much as you can (3 squads of 2). Shooting on raveners is a waste of points, they'll almost always be fleeting, and would be better off in CC than shooting.

Overall you will have A LOT of trouble with vehicles and you have ALMOST NO synapse.
    For tankhunting:1-2 Sniperfex (carnifex, enhanced senses, barbed strangler, venom cannon) /Zoanthropes
    For synapse: warriors with leaping, rending claws, scything talons, +I, extended carapace. / Zoanthropes
    999p army

My army is and will in the future be mainly HtH oriented, so no shooty stuff and such like.
    My suggestions would be to not buy so many upgrades, and try and fit in 3 zoanthropes and a squad of CC warriors.

Not that good at making CC lists though, I'm sure other people will have a lot of good advice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hive fleet mammoth 1000p

HQ:

HIVE TYRANT 198p

2xscything talons
    Toxin sacs
    Adrenal gland (+WS)
    Wings
    flesh hooks
    implant attack

HIVE MIND POWER:
    Warpfield 35p

Like it was mentioned earlier, its pretty solid, but if dont intend on using him for IC hunting just drop implant attack
    TROOPS:
    -Genstealers:

Genstealer Brood of 7: 7*27=189p

extended carpace
    Scything talons
    implant attack
    Drop everything but extended, personally i'd use the points to bring in more nids, the more the better. Make sure you hold onto EC though, that will definitely allow your chances of the squad to get into CC increase while taking bolter fire.

Toxin sacs
    Kinda pricy for what its worth, drop the TS, if your looking for something to handle light vehicles try to pile some points together for a Sniperfex. He'll handle any light vehicle and anything else vehicle wise.

One vanilla:
    Toxin sac

The second:
    Adrenal glan (+I)
    Toxin sacs
    Again, drop the upgrades, if you're wanting a swarm-ish theme the more nids you have the more pressure you're putting on your opponents on their shot decisions. Make them blow their shots on fodder, if you haven't gotten them tied up already.
    Fast attack:

All 5:

Devouer
    Definitely split these guys up into 3 different squads, and drop any shooting upgrades on then. Take rending and scything talons...cause we all love some rending.
    999p army

[/quote]

Definitely look into getting more synapse...some Zoans+warriors will help out alot with your synapse web. Zoans should be able to cover 2 fields you're missing, synapse and anti-tank, and i know the sniperfex blows the whole Hand to Hand theme, but its up to you, just throwing some suggestions your way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x2)

Hive Tyrant: Drop the Implant attack, unless you want him to be character hunting. Also, many people consider the Flying Dakkatyrant more effective, but thats just people.

Genestealers: Drop the Implant attack unless you want to use them to character hunt? Which im pretty sure your tyrant is outfitted to do. Also, drop the Scything Talons, rending is much more important than an extra attack.

Termagaunts: They're fine, i love these things. First models i painted (or was that a Genestealer? Good times) Consider dropping the Toxin sacs, you can get 6 extra termagaunts in each squad.

Hormagaunts: Keep the Toxin Sacs if you want to kill Space Marines, and if you want Adrenal Glands for +I, you can only get 2 more Hormagaunts if you add all thosed upgrades. So keep the Toxin Sacs and Adrenal Glands for +I.

Raveners: Split them into three Squads. Also, try to drop the Devourer. If you can't, thats alrite. Also, take the Scything Talons and Rending Claws, it better than only Scything Talons.

Oh, and youll need a Tank Killer!!! A Sniperfex, Brood of Zoanthropes, or even a Biovore (for low AV vehicles) should do the Trick. I recommend the Sniperfex, he's cheaper than a brood of 3 Zoanthropes. A normally Outfitted Sniperfex is Barbed Strangler and Venom Cannon with Enhanced Senses (148 points in total)

YOU REALLY NEED A TANK KILLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

otherwise, good list.
    "What is Mercy? Does it taste Nice?" Hive Tyrant on Reth V

"Kill-kill! Death to the Enemies of the Horned Rat!" Warlord Bweekq at the Battle of Hrad

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

HIVE TYRANT 198p

2xscything talons
    Toxin sacs
    Adrenal gland (+WS)
    Wings
    flesh hooks
    implant attack

HIVE MIND POWER:
    Warpfield
    I prefer twin linked devourers because they will give you a nice 12 S5 shots which reroll to wound plus you will get 4 S6 attacks when you charge in CC and that is better than 6 CC attacks for a pure CC Tyrant.

Toxin sacs
    drop the toxin sacs because these troops are for tying up the opponent in close combat and are there to die instead of your genestealers and other good troops, equip them with spinefists instead of flesh borers because that will get you a few more points.

One vanilla:
    Toxin sac

The second:
    Adrenal glan (+I)
    Toxin sacs
    these are also a better version of gaunts but there reason is the same as the gaunts, to tie up the opponent (the diffrence is that they are more efficient at killing).

Also, if someone brings in a tank you are going to get really annoyed because you dont have any weapons that can kill tanks. You are also very low on synapse, if someone gets all of his good weapons firing a the Tyrant it will get killed very quickly, then your gaunts will be in VERY big trouble. This is all an oppinion so it might be all wrong but I do believe that I am correct with most of it.
    Last edited by Hive Fleet Ruina; March 16th, 2008 at 17:55. Reason: forgot to say a few things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well some of you seems to ignore the fact that this guy wants a pure CC list. Giving him recommendations on shootly nids aren't going to help him.
    I'll give you the advice as everybody has given you already. It's better with numbers in a nid army (unless you're going nidzilla which you aren't). So biomorphs off pretty much everything!
    The tyrant should only have +S, Wings, dual Talons, +I. Warpfield if you really think you needs it. A CC flyrant should fly from cover to cover so it won't really need better save, but if you feel unsafe then use it.
    If you're true CC only build then you'd only use stealers and homagauts as troops. I'd use vanilla homagaunst only! as you'll get more wounds and the real hurt comes from stealers. Remove everything from stealers except carapace. And use more than one brood!
    I'd thin down the raveners to 3 (and use them in 3 broods of 1) and use the left over pts for 3 zoanthropes with synapse and warpblast (if you don't consider it to be shootly) otherwise take Lictors. As others have pointed out. You lack anti tank bad, and pure CC nids don't have many anti tank options. flyrant, zoanthropes, lictors and CC fexes are the only ones that can take on high AV tanks. CC fexes are too slow and you already have a flyrant. But you definitely need more. So either zoanthropes or Lictors. Zoanthropes are more safe as lictors have a very hard time killing skimmers.

Podhammer - The Warhammer Podcast

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

Hive Commander lilgaunt

I'll first point out that the debate regarding your need for shooty Carnifexes has merit, but since you requested you wanted an entirely CC army, I will provide comments as such

I think your winged Hive Tyrant is fine, but I'd actually lean towards getting the initiative upgrade before getting implant attack. In addition, remember that this is your only Synpase creature and only Monstorous Creature. So, many of your opponents will probably end up shooting at this thing in the first 1-2 rounds. So you have to play this unit very tactfully. I'd actually recommend getting a shooting Hive Tyrant, since a CC Tyrant that walks can be ineffective. But if you only want a CC army, then you might want a fast synapse unit such as Leaping Warriors.

Being a CC army, I'd rather have more models than high quality ones, simply because most of your troops choices have crappy armor saves. There are exceptions, but when it comes to troops choices, I generally only add 1 upgrade to genestealers and zero to gaunts.

So for your genestealers, I'd recommend removing the implant attack. Some people prefer going defensive and get the better armor save, but I don't have an issue with those who prefer a more agressive genestealer unit. Regardless, dropping the implant attack should allow you to get 1-2 more genestealers.

As stated arleady, I think the termagaunts are best if taken as plain ones. And I'd make the termagaunt brood, one squad of 10 and another a squad of 8. I won't go into the mathhammer. However, I'll just say that by doing it this way, your opponent must kill off one more gaunt to prevent one of the units from becoming a scoring unit. In addition, since you're fielding termagaunts, although you want to make them a CC unit, if you think you can charge a unit after the movement phase, instead of fleeting, I'd actually consider shooting at the unit.

Your hormagaunt units would be a point of argument for many. I've never fielded uber-hormagaunts, but I'd actually consider it at some point and time. Again I prefer having more hormagaunts, but I've heard players that are effective with uber-hormagaunts.

Raveners are the most effective when they have Rending. So eventually you want to upgrade all of them with rending claws. Your should be fielding them in groups of 2, but feel free to use them as a single unit. You want your opponent to consider wasting all its firepower shooting down a ravener with one wound, but is closer; or shooting at a unit of 2. If you field it as a unit of 6, then you're giving your opponent to unload on the entire unit.

I wanted to add that an entirely CC army is tough to play. So when you deploy, use a weighed flank formation - deploy all your units on one side of the board. Assume that you're going to loose initiative so deploy them behind terrain or in cover whenever possible. By using a weighted flank and deploying your units behind terrain or in cover, that first turn should allow your opponent to limit amount of targets he shoots at in the first turn. In addition, there's a chance that he'll move closer to you, which should help your fast units get into combat more quickly.
    Last edited by RudyPicardo; March 17th, 2008 at 17:09.
    Rudy Wilfred Picardo
    Tyranid Player
    Current Record (W/L/D) 143/112/60
    Recent Battle - 1500 pt draw vs. IG player (mission: Seek And Destroy)

+ Reply to Thread