1500pt Tau army list. see what you think - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500pt Tau army list. see what you think

I have been collecting tau for quite some time now and i have been playing with this army with relitive success (i play the same few people). I am just posting my list to get some feed back on how it could be improve in fighting Spacemarines and eldar.

Army list:
    HQ
    Shas'o - burst cannon, missile pod and plasma rifle, HW target lock, HW multi-tracker. 125pts
    Bodyguard Shas'vre- Air bursting Fragmentation projector, cyclic ion blaster, flamer, hw multi tracker. 74pts

Troops
    11 Fire warriors- Photon grenades, Shas'ui- 120pts
    Devilfish- SMS mltitracker, disruption pod, targeting array- 125pts

10 Fire warriors- Photon grenades, Shas'ui- 120pts

16 Kroot Warriors- 112pts.

Heavy Support
    1 Broadside team- Shas'vre, multi tracker, HW target lock
    Shas'ui, multi tracker. Both have railguns and SMS. 165pts

1 hammerhead- Railgun, SMS, disruption pod, multi tracker.

Fast attack
    8 Gun drones.

I ussually play the kroot and the 2 ten man Fire warrior teams as a static fireing wall (the kroot are there really to step up and block assualts). the 2 eleven man squad move up in there fishes using the covering fire of the XV88's, hammerhead and the other fire warriors. The two squads then disenbark to rapid fire. And the gun drone deepstrike to cause a bit of a problem behind enemy lines. And the commander and his bodyguard fight and shoot where needed.
    Again I'm just looking for feed back. feel free to comment.
    Erk.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Bear in mind this is all my own personal preference. Pick and choose what you want to listen to. I'll have comments in blue in the following quote:

HQ
    Shas'o - burst cannon, missile pod and plasma rifle, HW target lock, HW multi-tracker. 125pts

Couple of issues here, the first one being the trio of weapons. In no one turn can you use all three weapons, so you are wasting points every turn. Also, Burst Cannons are really not worth it on Crisis Suits - if you want that sort of firepower, use Stealth Suits, Fire Warriors, and Gun Drones. Another thing is that, for less points, a Shas'el using a Targeting Array will give you the same efficiency. Two weapons, a Targeting Array, and a HW Multitracker is usually the setup. Personally, I prefer a Missile Pod, PLasma Rifle, Targeting Array, and HW Multitracker Shas'el for 97 points.

Bodyguard Shas'vre- Air bursting Fragmentation projector, cyclic ion blaster, flamer, hw multi tracker. 74pts

Bodyguards tend to be a bad choice, especially if you have Elite slots open. The biggest reason is that they get rid of your Shas'el's (or 'O's) Independent Character status, which is bad as that is one of the best protections from shooting. I would suggest moving this guy to Elites. Now, as for weapons, all three of your weapons are less than optimal. I've never seen the Air-burst used more effectively than, say, a Missile Pod, nor have I see the CIB do much. Flamers are just a complete waste on Crisis Suits (and in the Tau army in general). The three-weapon rule from above applies here, too - use a team leader (instead of Shas'vre - saves a few points) with something like Plasma Rifle/Missile Pod or Plasma Rifle/Fusion Blaster and a Targeting Array with a HW Multitracker.

Troops

Okay, first thing's first is that your point totals are off. Your Fire Warriors are 120 points (11 total with a Shas'ui upgrade) without photon grenades. Personally, I have never seen photon grenades (or the extra points for them) be worth it. I would suggest dropping them. Also, your Devilfish should have Decoy Launchers before Disruption Pods - since you'll tend to be moving around anyway (or at least, you should be) then the D-Pods really don't tend to be worth it. I'd swap them for decoy launchers.

Again, I believe that points are off, and again, I would drop the photon grenades.

16 Kroot Warriors- 112pts.

If Kroot are going to be shooting, one of the best ways to set them up is a 10 man squad of Kroot for 70 points. Cheap and effective. If you want to use them for close combat, don't include more than 10 actual Kroot Carnivores; instead, toss in a bunch of Kroot Hounds, as they are cheaper than Kroot and outshine them by far in CC.

Heavy Support
    1 Broadside team- Shas'vre, multi tracker, HW target lock
    Shas'ui, multi tracker. Both have railguns and SMS. 165pts

Couple of things. First of all, multitrackers should not take precedence over the Advanced Stabilization System. Being able to move (however slowly) with that big Railgun on their backs is more than worth the points; the SMS should not be used unless you absolutely need to. Also, team leaders should be used instead of Shas'vre wherever possible (unless it's a fluff issue), as they get the same benefits (hardwired items) for less points. You might consider getting the team leader and adding in two Shield Drones for some added protection.

1 hammerhead- Railgun, SMS, disruption pod, multi tracker.

I would lose the Disruption Pods, and get Decoy Launchers. If you are going to be using the SMS, buy a Target Lock; if not, keep the Hammerhead cheap with Burst Cannons.

Fast attack
    8 Gun drones.

Personally not a big fan, but this is the only way to field these guys.
    Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, your Devilfish should have Decoy Launchers before Disruption Pods - since you'll tend to be moving around anyway (or at least, you should be) then the D-Pods really don't tend to be worth it. I'd swap them for decoy launchers.

ummm?!?! decoy launchers are either the price of a disruption pod or more and only work in one situation, if the skimmer recieves a GLANCING HIT THAT CAUSES IT TO BE IMMOBILISED you can force a re-roll, the re-roll stands even if its worst, where as the disruption pod grants you a 4+ cover save from all shooting attacks that originate from 12" or further away, and in mine and almost everyone elses eyes the best equipment for our vehicles, seriously im the only tau player at my local store and its the only thing people moan about (apart from jsj)
    Last edited by starfire; June 7th, 2009 at 21:39.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Starfire.

Your practicing some major thread necromancy here.

this may well be a 4th ed list. From what I have heard decoy launchers were the mod of choice then.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what is thead necromancy, honestly dont know what your on about and as for 4th ed, i only play at my local gw store and under no circumstances are you allowed to play 4th ed rules, has to be 5th ed. you might be allowed to be play 4th ed elsewhere i dont know also i dont know if their is a thread on this site about the whole DL DP thing, but their is definatly one on www.advancedtautactica.com check the tactica section.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

He means the thread was last posted on in March 15th 2008
    When this post was written it was probably written under 4th edition (thats how old it is).
    Try and let sleeping dogs lie.
    Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ohhhh didn't relise it was that old! lol

+ Reply to Thread