1500pts of Shooty Sloggers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

1500pts of Shooty Sloggers

Quite a few people play orks where I usually play, but not many take advantage of their ability to put out an incredible number of shots a turn. Here's an attempt at a 'shooty' ork list:

HQ

Warp 'ead

Warp 'ead

ELITE

7 Lootas + 3 Big shootas

7 Lootas + 3 Big shootas

TROOP

21 Shoota Boyz w/2 rokkits, and nob upgrade w/powerklaw and bosspole

FAST

5 Deffkoptas, 4 w/big shootas, 1 w/big shootas and a buzzsaw

Rokkit buggy

Rokkit buggy

HEAVY

Killa Kan w/big shoota

Killa Kan w/big shoota

Looted Wagon w/boomgun, 'ard case, and big shoota

One warp 'ead is attached to the shoota boyz, and although rolls of 'ere we go' are welcome, I'm also using them for their shooty powers as well, to help destroy powerful vehicles.

After quite a bit of play, I want to try using big shootas in the loota squads. Not being able to move and shoot means your opponent can discount them entirely, if he knows they have to move to get within line of sight (or had to move for reasons like 'lash'). Having 9 big shoota shots regardless of whether they move or not, makes them more formidable, and their range is comperable to the rest of the team.

The deffkoptas stay behind cover, and either turbo charge, to go for back armor, or fly in as a calvary unit, to shoot down infantry from 36in away.

Any thoughts?

"Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gotta love dem Warpheads. WEhat's more Orky an' random I ask youze. Iffen you don' like dem, den don' play wit greenskins.

Nothing less then I would expect from you Grax. I don't like shootas in Lootas ( hey that rhymes ) but I know you do. I see you are testing out the Deffkoptas. They are tricky but I like them a lot. I used them against Necrons once with great results.

I really like boomwagons although it isn't the flavour of the month. Everyone wants a BW w/ deffrolla. At the price it is very good. Seems like you are experimenting.

I liked your 1000 list more I confess and I'm stealing it for myself. Live with it!

paul

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

You got me

It's true, you got me.

I am experimenting with this list. I also have another list in mind, but I can't seem to get a game going this week. It'd be nice to actually get the chance to try out some of these lists I'm writing.

I have a second, bonus confession as well. I admit, that's a lot of big shootas to throw in with the lootas. Hmm...it's almost as if I'm making up for something...as if I don't have enough lootas to fill two units.

I still like the idea of putting at least 1-2 big shootas in with the lootas, if nothing else, just to keep pressure on my opponent.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

It turns out the next tournament is going to be 1750, and on top of that, I think I need nobz in the list somewhere, in order to be effective, even if they're just used as counter-assault.

Here's the new breakdown:

EDIT:

HQ

Warp 'ead

Warp 'ead

ELITE

10 Lootas + 2 Big shootas

10 Tankbustas w/nob upgrade, powerklaw, bosspole

8 Nobz w/painboy, cybork bodies, 2 powerklaws, waugh banner, bosspole, and trukk w/ram

TROOP

22 Shoota Boyz w/2 big shootas, and nob upgrade w/powerklaw and bosspole

22 Shoota Boyz w/2 big shootas, and nob upgrade w/powerklaw and bosspole

22 Shoota Boyz w/2 rokkits, and nob upgrade w/powerklaw and bosspole

FAST

Rokkit buggy

Rokkit buggy

Rokkit buggy

HEAVY

Killa Kan w/big shoota

Killa Kan w/big shoota

Battlewagon w/big shoota

The tankbustas go in the battlewagon, the warp 'eads attach to the two larger shoota boy mobz, the killa kans stay in front, to block, and the trukk full of nobz hangs back safely behind cover, and either waits to counter-assault, or carefully screens around terrain, and/or buggies for cover. I'm not going to argue that the buggies block line of sight though. That's just silly, especially considering how large the new trukks are. They'll still be obscured though, which is better than nothing. If the trukk pops, I'll just have the nobz slog behind the shoota boyz.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; April 11th, 2008 at 22:05. Reason: Edited list

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the list ... but ... well you knew there would be a but.

The lootas seem to be a bit too small a squad for my taste. At only 1500 I use squads of twelve. hey just run away very quickly otherwise and i like the extra dakka as well. However, they probably will be ignored the first few turns as your opponent will have a lot of other worries.

I worry a bit about the Nob trukk ... it is pretty fragile. But it might work out okay. You do not have the points for bike Nobs so it might work. I prefer five meganobs in a trukk over regular nobs even if I get less models for the bang but it's a preference.

And I still like the list I stole from you better, lol

Good luck at the tournament grax

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Nob blues

I'm still waffling on biker nobz. I admit it.

Trukk nobz, to me, are a compromise. They're fast, and great for counter-assault (the main purpose I intend for them in this list), although if the trukk gets blown up, it's certainly a long walk to the other side of the board.

I'm a shameless point 'cheapskate', and 400 points for a 6 man unit, that can be shot to pieces by rokkits/missles, is enough to get me to hesitate. I'm eventually going to have to bite the bullet, but I think I'm going to have to try 8 in a trukk first.

After that fails, I'll use them on bikes. ^_^

Thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    68 (x2)

My biggest hesitation are attaching the Warpheads to 22 Shoota Boyz. If you get Ere We Go it is going to be very difficult to safetly Deep Strike a unit that large. I've yet to use Warpheads, but have made lists with them and my favorite setup is putting them with Tankbustas. Just about every Warphead Power will work with that unit and Ere We Go you can DS a small group behind enemy Vehicles for read armor popage!

You could also save some points by dropping down to 7 Nobz + Painboy (sqaud of . In my experience with Trukker Nobz, a group of 8 with 2 PKs was more than sufficient. If you drop 1 Nob you may have the points to go with 2 Shoota Squads of 20 and 1 of 30, giving you an extra special weapon.

Overall looks like fun!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

511 (x8)

Yup

'Ere we go is really the only power I'm worried about. As long as I don't bunch them up too tightly, even 'ead banger isn't going to cause too much trouble. 'Ere we go, on the other hand, is deadly, and I'd re-roll it.

I look at the warp 'ead's re-roll as defensive. You don't re-roll to try to get a result you want, you use it to get rid of result that's disastrous.

Dropping one nob is a thought, although it's relatively cheap (since they don't have bikes) and it helps keep the edge over other CC focused units. Still, it's a thought. I'll have to mull it over.

Thanks for the advice!

+ Reply to Thread