1000 mech. i'm a beginner - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    120 (x2)

1000 mech. i'm a beginner

shas'o pl/cib/mt
    115 pts

12 shas'la all rifles
    devilfish mt/dl
    215 pts

12 shas'la all carbines
    devilfish mt/dl
    215 pts

7 vespid
    1 strain leader
    134 pts

Hammerhead Rail/bc/mt
    160 pts

Hammerhead Rail/bc/mt
    160 pts

ttl 999 pts

I have not played warhammer before, I am assembling an army first. The infantry i've got, just not the 4 tanks yet.
    On to the list, I am for the most part happy with the list. My priority right now is getting decoy lanchers for the hammerheads. I had targeting arrays for the devilfish but replaced them with decoy launchers instead. Although it would be nice to have both anyways. So that's what I'm trying to find the points for right now.
    Before I go any further, the verdict is that the vespids stay. I know that there are many many better ways of spending 135pts (Ion hammerhead, stealths, crisis suits, firewarriors**), but I got a soft spot for them, so they stay. reduce the size by 1 or 2 maybe, but not getting rid of them.
    Another source of points would be to exhange the shas'o for a shas'el, and then get a targeting array to keep the bs at 5. doing this would spare me 15 points.
    So my options of squeezing out some points to get decoys for the hammerheads are: cheaper commander, 1 less vespid, 1 less firewarrior
    anyways, what do you guys think of my list?

**a note on vespids & fire warriors against MEQs (i've worked out he math):
    on a point for point basis fire warriors at rapid fire range will do more damage than the same cost of vespids against MEQs. I'm using MEQs in particular since thats the whole point of vespids and their AP3s. And rapid fire since it's 12" compared to the vespids own 12" range. But I tell myself that vespids have mobility, so lets add the cost of a devilfish. to give the firewarrios the same (almost) mobility as a squad of vespid. A full strength of 12 plus devilfish cost 215 (with the essentials multitracker and decoys). At that cost I could get 12 vespid and a strain leader (i know its more than a vespid squad size but this is just for working out the math of points cost to damage). 13 shots from the vespids do a fair amount more to MEQs than 29 shots from the FoF. So in this way I could sort of justify their cost. But this is only against MEQs and most medium infantry; against TEQs who get 2+ save from both, or GEQs who don't get 5+ saves from either, then obviously having 29 shots is much, much better than 13. Also, fire warriors themseves are more resilient than vespid, let alone protected by a devilfish with frontal armour 12. So then I tell myself that vespid have an assault weapon and higher initiative than SM, so they could potentially shoot, then charge, each model having 2 hits before any SM fights back. This is still not much, and overall not really enough to make up for their shortcomings (and cost). but its enough for me to use them because i just like them. i don't know why.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Takeda View Post
    shas'o pl/cib/mt
    115 pts
    it would be worth looking up Riklimarus article on XV8s, but simply put, I would drop the commander to an El, hard wire the mt and take a targetting array for a start. probably look to convert to a simple fire knife to be honest
    12 shas'la all rifles
    devilfish mt/dl
    215 pts
    Good
    12 shas'la all carbines
    devilfish mt/dl
    215 pts
    poor, you are halving your shots from FOF, much better to stick to rifles
    7 vespid
    1 strain leader
    134 pts
    ok I am going to skip right over your sentences at the end, gist, these are less than useful, but if you like them and want to take them then that is a good enough reason to have them provided you realise they are not effective
    Hammerhead Rail/bc/mt
    160 pts

Hammerhead Rail/bc/mt
    160 pts

ttl 999 pts

I have not played warhammer before, I am assembling an army first. The infantry i've got, just not the 4 tanks yet.
    On to the list, I am for the most part happy with the list. My priority right now is getting decoy lanchers for the hammerheads. I had targeting arrays for the devilfish but replaced them with decoy launchers instead.
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you do take the 'o to an 'el then that would get you points for your TA's on your Devil's. Which I would do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x2)

I've read the battlesuit guide, and i'm still quite satisfied with the centurion configuration

I've played around with the possibilities, and come up with several options. here are the 2 most viable ones (my 2 favourite).

option 1:
    shaso to shasel take hardpoint TA hardwire the MT, i get 15 points back
    decoys for both HH 10
    TA for one DF 5

option 2:
    2 less vespids, i get 32 points back
    decoys for both HH 10
    TAs for both DF 10
    twinlink the commanders plasma rifle 10

i've realized since my first post that the drones use their own bs, which means the TA on DF only affects the 3 shots of the BC. not much, but i got nowhere else to spend 5 points anyways (unless i took the SMS, for 20 more pts)

i think what i'll do is hold off modeling on the arms for squad #2, play some games first with the models armless, then decide rifles or carbines for that squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could do both and make those Devilfish into Warfish... (Devil with SMS, TA, MT, DL. You'd be about 3 points over but unless you're gonna be in a Tourney, then you'll be fine)
    Last edited by Tcan_Dal'yth; April 13th, 2008 at 21:58. Reason: Explanation of Warfish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

120 (x2)

question... target lock on hammerheads, yay or nay??

they're 5 points each, and i figure it's a better use of those 5 points than tareting array on the fish. since the drones use their own bs, it affects the BCs 3 shots, ap3 to ap 4.
    use on the hammerheads, on the other hand, affects 6 shots from the 2 BCs, allowing them to shoot their own targets apart from the railgun, whose main targets are most likely out of the BCs range.

+ Reply to Thread