Two combat patrol lists for review - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two combat patrol lists for review

Hello all, I'm curious to see what you think of these two lists for some combat patrol missions I'll be running this weekend:

List A

24 Shoota Boyz - 199 pts
    Nob w/ Power Klaw
    2 Rokkit Launchas

24 Slugga Boyz - 199 pts
    Nob w/ Power Klaw
    2 Rokkit Launchas

398 pts total

List B

25 Shoota Boyz - 205 pts
    Nob w/ Power Klaw
    2 Rokkit Launchas

15 Stormboyz - 195 points
    Nob w/ Big Choppa (don't have a power klaw model)

400 points total

There's a tournament this weekend, and I'd like to be prepared to fight Space Wolves, Dark Eldar, Lost and the Damned, and/or Necrons. My theory is that I'll perform more effectively with larger numbers of boyz, though alternatively I might field a small unit of Grots as my Troops choice and then flesh out the unit with Burnas, Stormboyz, or Nobz. Would Kommandos be a wiser addition than the Stormboyz?

Thanks!

Last edited by halon78; April 15th, 2008 at 18:39. Reason: addition of points and strategies
    blood for the blood god - yay!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Well...

You're going to need a powerklaw in that unit of stormboyz in order for them to be effective.
    Honestly, I've never assembled an official powerklaw in my life. I've got around 15 nobz at home, and every single one of their klaws is converted out of spare parts. Just find something vaguely claw shaped, or perhaps a large wrench, or my favorite: two vehicle hooks pointed inward at each other, and you've got a powerklaw.

With orks, especially in small games, there are three factors that usually dictate how well they do:

1. Powerklaws. Every unit you intend for close combat needs a powerklaw in it in order to be effective. Without one, even if you win the assault, you're going to be eaten alive by marines, monstrous creatures, terminators and dreads.

2. Anti-armor. STR 8+ weapons are important, even in a smaller game. Either keep them buried in the units, or in very cheap units. I'd try to find the points for either a rokkit buggy or two, fielded individually in units of 1 buggy a piece, or perhaps some big guns units w/kannons, again fielded individually. Of course, if both your units have rokkits, you'll be fine.

3. Assault. It is pivotal that you assault your opponent, and not the other way around. Orks become crippled if opponents assault them, since they'll be weaker, and won't get any bonus attacks. Storm boyz, warbikes and trukks are the best units for this (although warbikes tend to have trouble finishing opponents off quickly, as it's more difficult to get a large number into close combat at once).

Judging by these factors, your first list with the 2 units of shoota boyz is superior, as it has powerklaws and anit-armor, but there really isn't much in the list to help you get the assault.

Your first list looks fine as is, although you might want to consider dropping a single boy from each unit, and giving them bosspoles instead. Bosspoles aren't necessary for footsloggers, but I'd use them in this case because they'll almost certainly reach close combat during the match.

This is how I would field your second list:

21 Shoota boyz w/2 rokkits and nob w/pk (181)

13 Storm boyz w/nob w/pk and bosspole (196)

1 Big gunz unit w/kannon (20)

No big gunz? Then simply add one more shoota boy and storm boy to each of the units instead.

Not going to add a powerklaw to the storm boyz? Then don't use them. Don't get me wrong, even without a powerklaw, the storm boyz will destroy most troops, but marines and necron will simply laugh them off. Bring a powerklaw or don't show up at all. ^_^

Good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback, and I understand about the power klaw in the stormboy squad. Do you think a kannon would be a better choice than a zzap gun in the modified list? As it turns out, due to unforseen circumstances, I might not have to fight against necrons - but the Space Wolves will definitely be ou there. I'm a little apprehensive about the Dark Eldar being much faster than I am, and I was wondering about the efficacy of having a bosspole if all I have are 6+ saves.

Still, I'll give it a go and see what happens... after all, it's just a game
    blood for the blood god - yay!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Cheap

Big guns units are so vulnerable, I usually don't field them with anything more than their basic weapon, which is a very good one.

Zzzap guns roll an average of a 7 for strength, and although you can possibly roll much higher, the average is what you usually get. That said, it isn't a bad choice, but I don't think it's worth cutting out any more storm or shoota boyz for it in this list, not when your opponent can wipe it out with one round of shooting. That's half the point of the unit though. If your opponent shoots it, then it isn't shooting the rest of your boyz, and if they ignore it, then it's a threat to their troops. At 20 points, it doesn't really matter if it's wiped out before it earns back its points.

I wouldn't cut out any more storm boyz or shoota boyz. If you don't like the kannon, I'd just invest the points back into the two main units. Good luck!
    Last edited by mynameisgrax; April 16th, 2008 at 17:58. Reason: having second thoughts
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
    1. Powerklaws. Every unit you intend for close combat needs a powerklaw in it in order to be effective. Without one, even if you win the assault, you're going to be eaten alive by marines, monstrous creatures, terminators and dreads.
    One thing to note is that in a combat patrol you wont see MC's, Termies, or dreads.
    Last edited by Amishcellphone; April 28th, 2008 at 01:45.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

+ Reply to Thread