1750 Saim Hann games day - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1750 Saim Hann games day

For games day chicago I've decided on playing eldar for certain but am unsure which type of mech I should go with. I'm currently playing 2 WS's and 2 Falcons, harleys, DAs, SSs, Farseer and Autarch on bikes. While being absolutly amazing and decimating all in its path (so far), it isn't an army that follows any story. It's not beil-tan, saim hann or anything other craftworld. Should I go with a list like this:

HQ

Farseer on jetbike (guide, doom) 163 pts
    - spear, runes of wit and s. spear

Autarch on jetbike 140 pts
    - mandi, laser lance, fusion gun

TROOPS

6 Gaurdian Jetbikes 152 pts
    - 2 shuriken cannons

- 2 shuriken cannons

3 Gaurdian Jetbikes 76 pts
    - 1 shuriken cannon

3 Guardian Jetbikes 76 pts
    - 1 shuriken cannon

10 Dire Avengers 292 pts
    - Exarch, Bladestorm, 2 cats
    - Wave Serpent
    - EML, Shuriken Cannon, Spirit Stones

10 Dire Avengers 292 pts
    - Wave Serpent

FAST ATTACK

4 Shining Spears 202 pts
    - Exarch, Withdraw, Skilled Rider, Shuriken Cannon

4 Shining Spears 202 pts

Total: 1747 pts

This list seems to be very competetive and fluff oriented but I'm not quite sure how to effectivly use the bikes just right yet. I've played 2 games with this list and won both but only by a table quarter in both games. I've had blow outs in victory points but can't seem to get a substantial win.

Is this how this type of army wins or am I playing too defensivly. Can I ever hope for major victory.

I find that I can't ignore non-scoring units and have to wipe out everything to get ahead because of the bikes frailty. That sounds simple but it wastes turns of shooting when VPs aren't the main objective.

HELP ME PLEASE!

Thanks
    RedsunsFC

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by RedsunsFC View Post
    For games day chicago I've decided on playing eldar for certain but am unsure which type of mech I should go with. I'm currently playing 2 WS's and 2 Falcons, harleys, DAs, SSs, Farseer and Autarch on bikes. While being absolutly amazing and decimating all in its path (so far), it isn't an army that follows any story. It's not beil-tan, saim hann or anything other craftworld. Should I go with a list like this:
    With the word 'Gamesday' in mind, I'll also comment on any fluff or lack thereof, as you're graded on everything. We'll tentatively call this Saim-Hann.

HQ

Farseer on jetbike (guide, doom) 163 pts
    - spear, runes of wit and s. spear

Autarch on jetbike 140 pts
    - mandi, laser lance, fusion gun
    Do you mean spirit stones on your farseer, instead of listing the spear twice?

TROOPS

- 2 shuriken cannons

- 2 shuriken cannons

3 Gaurdian Jetbikes 76 pts
    - 1 shuriken cannon

3 Guardian Jetbikes 76 pts
    - 1 shuriken cannon
    Conflict of interests: Are they for shooting or anti-tank. For shooting, buff the squad numbers to nine. If anti tank, keep three, but add in a warlock with spear and embolden.

10 Dire Avengers 292 pts
    - Wave Serpent

10 Dire Avengers 292 pts
    - Wave Serpent
    You've got two tanks in a 1750 point list? How long are you planning on having them usable in your list, as gunlines will shred them. Fine otherwise, but I like TL-Bright Lances instead.

FAST ATTACK

4 Shining Spears 202 pts

4 Shining Spears 202 pts
    You only need one of these squads. Add in vypers, or a falcon, or a fire prism or something, but you only need one of these squads.

Total: 1747 pts

This list seems to be very competetive and fluff oriented but I'm not quite sure how to effectivly use the bikes just right yet. I've played 2 games with this list and won both but only by a table quarter in both games. I've had blow outs in victory points but can't seem to get a substantial win.

Is this how this type of army wins or am I playing too defensivly. Can I ever hope for major victory.

I find that I can't ignore non-scoring units and have to wipe out everything to get ahead because of the bikes frailty. That sounds simple but it wastes turns of shooting when VPs aren't the main objective.

HELP ME PLEASE!

Thanks
    RedsunsFC
    Well, I hope I've addressed the fragility of the bikes question. Thew other thing I want to address are the spears. Even with withdraw, they are a static target the instant they hit CC. Even worse, they can't retreat during your turn because they'll be shot. In the enemy's turn they'll not accomplish much, while getting hit back hard. Besides, it gives your opponent a chance to move something fast to hit the spears the instant they bail out of CC. This can be countered by using the spears as a flanking force, or in conjunction with avenger support to make sure they kill the target squad in one turn. That all help any?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea the farseer is supposed to have the stones.

Yea I understand the numbers on the bikes. But isn't 9 bikes kind of wonky to use? They occupy alot space and I can't imagine ever using JSJ or for that matter hiding a unit that huge. I usually use the bikes for cuttin up infantry, with the 6 man squad backed up by a 3 man. I field them as 9 (for shooting purposes) basically. I'm just worried about losing 9 bikes to something like a single powerklaw or a few guys with PWs. If I lose 6 that seems dealable (is that a word?) and 3 is fine. More scoring units seems a little better but then again will flee easier. I feel there's ups and downs for both but I'll try it your way without question.

I have noticed that 2 squads of spears is a little over kill. 1 unit turns into a regular gaurdian squad half the time so I'll probably cut them for some vypers.

The wave serpents have done exactly as you said they would. But the DA'a have worked very well with the bikes. I'd rather my opponent fire at my non-scoring wave sepent though than my bikes.

So I'm gonna combine the bike squads, drop the spears, and add a few vypers or a falcon, prolly the latter. Thanks I'll try it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    411 (x8)

definately ditch one squad of spears, and reorg the bikes in to 3man (well 4 with the lock) tank hunters and 9 man shooting units
    Everything you have been told is a lie!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I made the changes. Up'd 2 squads of bikes to 9, added warlocks to the others and dropped a squad of spears.

I played 2 games agaist necrons and dark angels. The bikes turned out to be a little less than great agaist necrons. 9 destroyers and 16 immortals had there way with the big squads. It was to many shots and not enough room position myself better. The spears and avengers did their jobs wiping out all the destoyers on turn 3 and 2 squads of warriors in the remaing turns. Immortals prove to be the bane of the DAs. I won the game by a quarter in the end but was overall kinda unimpressed with the giant bike squads.

The dark angels game went alot better. The shuriken cannons in the 9 man squads ate combat squaded bikes like no other and the DAs and spears wreck termies. This game was a blow out overall but I'm realizing the units I use to most affect are avengers and their serpents.

I have found the list to take to gamesday and will post it in the other forum.

+ Reply to Thread