1500-Point Balanced Eldar - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1500-Point Balanced Eldar

This is my first serious Edlar list, fairly new to them so i probably made some big mistakes.

HQ
    -----
    Farseer with Guide, Doom, Spirit stones, Singing Spear, Jetbike
    -----

Elite
    -----
    10 Howling Banshee including an Exarch with Excecutioner
    -Wave Serpent Transport with Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Field, Spirit stones.
    -----

Troops
    -----
    10 Dire Avengers including an Exarch with two Shuriken Canipults and Bladestorm
    -----
    -----
    5 Pathfinders
    -----

Fast Attack
    -----
    Vyper with two Shuriken Cannons, Spirit stones
    -----
    -----
    -----

Heavy Support
    -----
    Fire Prism with Shurkien Cannon, Holo field, Spirit stones
    -----
    -----

Total: 1499

So, am i close or did i mess it up completely? Im open to suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would say you pretty much nailed it! The only thing that might bring problems is the avengers with no transport. The rest of your army can leave them behind, making them an easy target for opposing fire especially with assault cannons flying around everywhere. Same goes for the pathfinders even though they can be a little more resilient.

In my opinion, full squads of avengers in serpents are one of THE BEST options in the eldar army. Oh yea, wave sepents cannot have holofields to my understading. Sorry if I'm wrong but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

That adds 70 points to your list. If you drop a vyper and the pathfinders you can fit in 2 sepents with spirit stones and 2x shuriken cannons which would then add 2 more cannons to your list as well.

You will lose 2 scoring units if you do this but gain a much faster and fluid list. Eldar work best when everything is working together.

Your original list is perfect as far as equiptment and options and should play just fine. Just thought I'd give a little food for thought.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    72 (x1)

HQ
    -----
    Farseer with Guide, Doom, Spirit stones, Singing Spear, Jetbike
    -----

I'm not sure why your farseer has guide. Most of your army has MEQ BS except the GEQ Vypers. Since you split them into 3 seperate groups, you wont get your points worth out of guide. However, that isn't to say your Vypers should be in a squadron, the current setup you have for them as seperate FA choices is fine. For your purposes I would consider Mind War for your second power or dropping the stones and guide altogether to keep your farseer nice and cheap.

Elite
    -----
    -Wave Serpent Transport with Bright Lance, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Field, Spirit stones.
    -----

Banshee squad looks good for Anti MEQ tasks coupled with Doom from your Farseer. If you choose to use Mind War the Farseer could also help guarantee a successful charge by brainfrying any roided up sergeants with power weapons or fists before your banshees leap into assault.

When it comes to transports I try to keep them relatively inexpensive. Why? because they arent worth anything in terms of being able to hold objectives, and because Eldar are especially susceptible to low model count lists it's important not to overcommit points to units that cant help you secure a table quarter or contest a loot counter. Changes? Well, a Wave Serpent can't take Holo-fields, so I would drop those because you wouldn't want to be accused of cheating right? Spirit stones is a good choice for every Wave Serpent you field because if your transport cant move, it's going down next turn, along with the expensive squad you put inside of it. As for the shuriken cannon, if you want the serpent for AT purposes you're better off dropping it since it wont be effective against the same targets as the melty-good Brightlance you have on the turret. Another option here is a Twin-Linked Missle Launcher with a Shuriken Cannon, which will give a nice anti-horde element when using the plasma missle coupled with the shuriken cannon shots. One other thing to note about this combination is that under 5th edition rules you will still be able to fire the plasma missle and shuriken cannon every turn, rather than one or the other.

Troops
    -----
    -----
    -----

Dire Avengers on foot will get charged against any cc army. My personal setup for foot squads of DA is Exarch with Defend and Power Weapon/ Shimmershield combo. this gives them the capability to actually win combats and if nothing else keep the enemy tied up til your assault units can get to them. Also cover will be of dire importance in keeping them alive against heavy shooting armies that can pack a lot of AP4 weaponry like IG, SM, CSM, and Necrons.

5 Pathfinders
    -----

Most people around here hate on Pathfinders. All I'm going to say is try them out, learn their nuances (deployment can make or break them, and you can afford to give them worse cover options than your avengers since they generally have a 3+ cover save) and form your own opinion of their usefulness in this list.

Fast Attack
    -----
    -----
    -----
    -----

These are fine I suppose, (I don't commit the extra points for spirit stones since these things are flying sentinels basically) but I personally like the Scatter Laser + Shuriken Cannon combo as it gets you one more shot and gives you an extra foot of range so that your Vypers can be annoyance units, wearing units down from a range where they are safe from massed lower strength return fire. Then once the unit is worn down enough, they can move in for the kill.

Heavy Support
    -----
    -----
    -----

The Shuriken Cannon on a Fire Prism feels right, MEQ BS coupled with a cheap but strong multi-shot weapon? Sign me up. However, the more I think about the Fire Prism, the more I believe the only upgrades you should ever take on it are Holo-fields and Spirit Stones. Why? because GW gave us an amazingly strong and versatile weapon which has the longest distance of any weapon in our entire army. Fire Prisms are meant to be used from as far away as possible. The Prism Cannon outranges lascannons and missle launchers by an entire foot, which means if used properly the Fire Prism will recieve very little return fire from enemy heavy support choices and even if there are shots, they will generally be single shot deals, always glancing(if you are maneuvering them correctly), and all but a handful of guns require a 3/4+ to glance the armor.(this will change in fifth though I suppose.)

I hope my comments and criticism have helped you develop your fledgling competitive list. If you choose to take my advice you will be about 136 points under, assuming you chose to give your farseer mind war over guide. If you chose to keep him relatively barebones then you would have 176 points to play with. Possible suggestions could be either more pathfinders, or a wave serpent with another TL-BL for one squad of DA's (dropping the PW/SS Defend for Dual cats and BS). Overall, it's a good start. Check the second sig quote; that's the mindset you're looking for.

Last edited by Amishcellphone; May 17th, 2008 at 02:22.
    "War does not determine who is right - only who is left" Bertrand Russell

We bring only death, and leave only carrion. It is a message even a Human can understand.

W/D/L
    Eldar: 3-3-1

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Revised the list based on everyones advice, many thanks.

HQ
    -----
    Farseer with Mind War, Doom, Spirit stones, Singing Spear, Jetbike
    -----

Elite
    -----
    -Wave Serpent Transport with Bright Lance, Spirit stones.
    -----

Troops
    -----
    10 Dire Avengers including an Exarch with two Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm
    - Wave Serpent Transport with Twin Linked Missle Launcher, Spirit stones.
    -----
    10 Dire Avengers including an Exarch with two Shuriken Catapults and Bladestorm
    - Wave Serpent Transport with Twin Linked Missle Launcher, Spirit stones.
    -----

Fast Attack
    -----
    Vyper with Shuriken Cannon, Scatter Laser
    -----
    Vyper with Shuriken Cannos, Scatter Laser
    -----

Heavy Support
    -----
    Fire Prism with Holo field, Spirit stones
    -----
    Fire Prism with Holo field, Spirit stones
    -----

Total: 1499

Dropped the Pathfinders because they weren't mobile enough with the addition of the new wave serpents. Had to drop a vyper for points.

Is this an improvement or did i take a step back?
    Quote Originally Posted by MindWar View Post
    Frankly, I think you're insane!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

I'd say it's something of an improvement. Your anti-MEQ power is still the same, your horde killing power is slightly better with the EMLS. Anti-tank or anti-MC looks fine as well. You have several units capable of scoring objectives. You have a little bit of CC punch, and some fast attack/harassment units. I like it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like it alot! Mongoose is right on the mind war bit instead of guide. This list should play very well. I'm gonna try it as well. I'll tell you how it works out.

+ Reply to Thread